Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Knightmare's not convinced:

While Port Adelaide need to add to their long-term key position stocks, the selection of Oliver Lord, grandson of Alistair Lord, was a questionable decision. Lord averaged a pedestrian five disposals in 2019 and less than one mark per game and less than one goal every second game. The hope is with Lord being a high leaper and having good speed that he will develop, but without seeing his rate of improvement this year and having an early January birthday, the pick feels like a reach.

Knightmare is a terrible judge, this is good news if anything.

Answering my own question (partly) I found this write up from the Futures game:

Lord did not get a lot of supply playing as a key forward for Team Dal Santo but the Sandringham prospect still showed some nice things. Lord showed good athleticism and looked comfortable with ball in hand up the ground in transition showing he isn’t just a forward half player, laid a good tackle in the first quarter as well showing good aggression.

Answering my own question (partly) I found this write up from the Futures game:

Lord did not get a lot of supply playing as a key forward for Team Dal Santo but the Sandringham prospect still showed some nice things. Lord showed good athleticism and looked comfortable with ball in hand up the ground in transition showing he isn’t just a forward half player, laid a good tackle in the first quarter as well showing good aggression.
I watched the full game last night. Good viewing as it featured Taj & Lachie as well

That tackle by Ollie was a ripper, as were the two marks he took. The thing that stood out to me was his ruck efforts in the forward half. One tap forward in particular, straight to a running rover for a goal was Ryder/Gray in its quality. Team Brown were on top most of the game, so the ball didnt travel down his end a lot, but everytime it came there he was involved. I liked it a lot.

Lachie Jones wasnt all that impressive, running around a lot not impacting & looked a tad slow. A couple of nice things, but a bit meh. He did give poor Taj a big bump that looked to hit him out the stadium! But that was last year ... This year has seen him progress in leaps & bounds.

Taj was into everything, and had some fabulous plays. He looked as good as any one of the star lads. Got me excited as he clearly looked like he ccan make it in the AFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who were you hoping we'd pick when our pick came round? Anyone else that you would have been keen on?

No one in particular that I wanted. With the three draft windows next year I think you would want to keep one to pick one of the 19/20you who did not play this year. Then you get SANFL players like Flett that showed glimpses of AFL quality and hope they can harness their talent over the summer/pre season

Oh and just keep in mind that Lord only played 4 TAC games last year. He would have been playing for Geelong grammar in college football so that is where they would have got a good look at him. Unlike Knightmare I like his competitiveness, but do agree he needs to find more of the ball which is why I think there is a fair chance he ends up doing a Delaney and becoming a key defender

I enjoyed the post but how does this relate to young Lord?? Don't trust the fitness staff to bulk him up?
They have him at 83kg looks closer to 70kg. I'm willing to take on Lord and Marshall for a couple months and they can follow my normal lifestyle they'll put on 20kg each.

Oh and just keep in mind that Lord only played 4 TAC games last year. He would have been playing for Geelong grammar in college football so that is where they would have got a good look at him. Unlike Knightmare I like his competitiveness, but do agree he needs to find more of the ball which is why I think there is a fair chance he ends up doing a Delaney and becoming a key defender
I like his marking and the long prong arms there's something to work with.

Intriguing pick. Just haven’t seen enough of him to know where he sits. Strong mark and seems to make good decisions but haven’t seen enough of his goal kicking. He is in that group of forwards that you could throw a blanket over (Kolar, Rosman, etc).

I wonder where the club sees him; Dixon replacement at CHF or perhaps a backman with his good hands?

Dixon replacement potentially. Seems like more of a big body than marshall or George.

But he will take 4 years to get game time probably. Doubt Dixon will last that long.

We have 3 rucks on the list with Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes. One of them will probably go forward for a bit.

There is a real chance he is another Frampton though. But fingers crossed for him.

Would be great to see hayes & Ladhams as tandem rucks with George, Marshall and Lord in our forward line in a few years time.

Just need some tall defenders to go with them.

I love the irrelevance of picking up that a draftee is 18.9 years old rather than the regulation 18.4 years old. Bound to be a fatal flaw. (A certain amount of licence in nominating those ages, btw)

Knightmare is a terrible judge, this is good news if anything.
He's very good at telling me who has played well this year, as highlighted above he falls down in understanding trajectory and then even possible trajectory in later picks

I love the irrelevance of picking up that a draftee is 18.9 years old rather than the regulation 18.4 years old. Bound to be a fatal flaw. (A certain amount of licence in nominating those ages, btw)

It makes a difference.

The older kids get more opportunities and development as a result of being older and better at any given time.

More of them get picked.

The younger kids are less developed, get picked less and theoretically have more scope for improvement.

The question is whether these younger kids come on of given the opportunity of whether that earlier lack of development always hinders them.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

He's very good at telling me who has played well this year, as highlighted above he falls down in understanding trajectory and then even possible trajectory in later picks

He also doesn't deviate from his initial thoughts (stubbornness or refusal to admit being wrong) and waffles without adding noteworthy things.

By my reckoning, his thoughts on Lord are set for life.

It makes a difference.

The older kids get more opportunities and development as a result of being older and better at any given time.

More of them get picked.

The younger kids are less developed, get picked less and theoretically have more scope for improvement.

The question is whether these younger kids come on of given the opportunity of whether that earlier lack of development always hinders them.

This was the lead in hypothesis to Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

The extra ~6 months of physical and mental development that kids born in the front half of the year have create a knock on effect with their self confidence right from the beginning.

Last edited:

It makes a difference.

More of them get picked.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
The big unknown is that we have seen none of these kids play for 12 months. Besides the combine stats, recruiters have to go off what they saw last year, and at this age, 12 months of development is huge! Often we see top-10 potentials fall away, and others come from nowhere. So the big question will be which one(s) of the top-20 fall away and become another Toumpas, and which ones come from the clouds and become the next Robbie Gray?

In an interview, Oh Lord said he has been really working on all his deficiencies through the year following advice from his dad & grandad (a past Brownlow medallist by the way!), has picked up something like 4kgs, and has grown to 197.5cm.

We really have no idea where he sits on the improvement scale relative to all the other draftees. Our recruiters targeted him though, so they must feel that they know something the others dont ... Think Georgiades.

I am really open with this pick, we have done well with smokey talls in the past, so if he he can follow the trajectory of Howard, I will be stoked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back