Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I sense a trend in the players we have drafted this year that Clarko may be moving away from the very controlled, slow tempo style of football we have played the last 3 years to a more fast paced run and carry Richmond style where we smash it forward and keep it locked in our forward 50 with elite defensive pressure.

I may be reading too much into this but we seemed to have placed a emphasis on speed in most of our picks.

Even the way we seem to have really concentrated on stacking our backline with great contested marks (DGB) is to a certain extent based on Richmond gameplan.

I think it is smart because look at last year's GF. Geelong who are the experts at that slow, controlled methodical style of football couldn't maintain it over 4 quarters and were eventually (inevitably?) blown away.

100%

It also seems like we have selected players on a needs basis as well in terms of a Key position def / Wing and 3 quick intense players to play that forward pressure role

Small and lacks excellent footskills, Daniels slipped to the 40's and he had the best skills in his draft years.
Oh yeah no doubt but small is an automatic first strike these days it seems for most clubs

Happy for a rookie pick to be used on him though,uch better risk reward than doing it in the first round like we did with Lovell though his issues were mostly hunger I think

great stuff

any comments on his weaknesses, or why he would slip to rookie draft?

Sorry, I bumped into the recruitment officer in the players' gym and could only talk for a minute as he was entertaining a prospective recruit. All I can say is the impression I got was they expected him to be a draft chance but that's as much as I know.

Oh yeah no doubt but small is an automatic first strike these days it seems for most clubs

Happy for a rookie pick to be used on him though,uch better risk reward than doing it in the first round like we did with Lovell though his issues were mostly hunger I think

Was thinking the same thing.

Lovell should of been a rookie pick.

100%

It also seems like we have selected players on a needs basis as well in terms of a Key position def / Wing and 3 quick intense players to play that forward pressure role
Yes I got the feeling Clarko wasn’t pleased that we had trouble locking it in our forward line this year, mainly due to lack of speed. The guys that played that role this year should be worried.

he’s got 10cm on Daniels. He’s really not that short and might grow another few cms. I think some over rate height for midfielders.
I think they slide too far most times but you can see why, with so much congestion you need those bigger frame not to get ragdolled. You need the ability to play on the outside otherwise you wont have the endurance to run out a game.

he’s got 10cm on Daniels. He’s really not that short and might grow another few cms. I think some over rate height for midfielders.
A couple of cms seems to make a big difference to the likelihood of being an elite clearance mid. it is 180cm+ or almost not at all.
1607689208800.png

I sense a trend in the players we have drafted this year that Clarko may be moving away from the very controlled, slow tempo style of football we have played the last 3 years to a more fast paced run and carry Richmond style where we smash it forward and keep it locked in our forward 50 with elite defensive pressure.

I may be reading too much into this but we seemed to have placed a emphasis on speed in most of our picks.

Even the way we seem to have really concentrated on stacking our backline with great contested marks (DGB) is to a certain extent based on Richmond gameplan.

I think it is smart because look at last year's GF. Geelong who are the experts at that slow, controlled methodical style of football couldn't maintain it over 4 quarters and were eventually (inevitably?) blown away.

You do realise we led the league or were near the top in intercepts, intercept marks, forward half pressure and tackles I50 throughout 2012-2016 right?

All of Rioli, Breust and Puopolo were in the top 5 for scores off forward half turnover from 2010-2020.

Don't make a mistake thinking we're trying to emulate another clubs game style because that's simply not how you win premierships. You need to figure out how to beat them.

You do realise we led the league or were near the top in intercepts, intercept marks, forward half pressure and tackles I50 throughout 2012-2016 right?

All of Rioli, Breust and Puopolo were in the top 5 for scores off forward half turnover from 2010-2020.

Don't make a mistake thinking we're trying to emulate another clubs game style because that's simply not how you win premierships. You need to figure out how to beat them.
2016 was a while ago now though.

Last 4 years we have been pretty woeful at locking the ball in the forward line and overall we have lacked speed across the ground.

Even in our peak years during the three peat Richmond used to trouble us with their run and gun style of play.

I suppose i am just hoping we are going to go with a more attacking, aggressive game plan in 2021 as the slow, long kick down the boundary line to a pack followed by another long kick to another pack in the forward line wasn't really setting the world on fire (and is boring as hell to watch).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 4 years we have been pretty woeful at locking the ball in the forward line and overall we have lacked speed across the ground.

Well, yes, but the idea that we are suddenly doing this, or even drafting a marking defender (how crazy!), in order to copy Richmond, is a bit of a long bow to draw.

These are central aspects of our own success previously.

Last edited:

Even in our peak years during the three peat Richmond used to trouble us with their run and gun style of play.

I suppose i am just hoping we are going to go with a more attacking, aggressive game plan in 2021 as the slow, long kick down the boundary line to a pack followed by another long kick to another pack in the forward line wasn't really setting the world on fire (and is boring as hell to watch).

Still think we could play the game style we did in the premiership years 2013/2015 just speed it up and go more as you said more attacking and aggressive speed it up a lot.

Brisbane kind of play this style a mix of mix of this style and a mix of Richmond style I think could really work.

With McRae coming on board and the kids we brought in makes me think we will play a more Richmond style next year then once we have perfected this we make changes to beat Richmond and every other team that plays this way. If you think about it we played like Collingwood from mid 2011 then in 2012 we changed it to beat this style and as everyone played like Collingwood we could beat them also.

I'm saying that I doubt we're recruiting this way to emulate Richmond, given that all of the things you said were key to our premierships, and some elements were used heavily even before then with defensive half intercepts at Geelong and manic forward half pressure at Collingwood.

Still think we could play the game style we did in the premiership years 2013/2015 just speed it up and go more as you said more attacking and aggressive speed it up a lot.

Brisbane kind of play this style a mix of mix of this style and a mix of Richmond style I think could really work.

With McRae coming on board and the kids we brought in makes me think we will play a more Richmond style next year then once we have perfected this we make changes to beat Richmond and every other team that plays this way. If you think about it we played like Collingwood from mid 2011 then in 2012 we changed it to beat this style and as everyone played like Collingwood we could beat them also.
Our players in the 3 peat era were not especially quick by foot (think Mitchell, Hidge, Lewis, etc) but as a team we moved the ball quickly.

I feel when we have been at our best the last three years is when we have had quick ball movement, overlapping handball, etc.

When we play the mark and kick to a pack down the boundary we look very ordinary and pedestrian.

I agree a Brisbane style hybrid game which mixes quick ball movement by foot and quick ball movement by running would be good and entertaining to watch.

I'm saying that I doubt we're recruiting this way to emulate Richmond, given that all of the things you said were key to our premierships, and some elements were used heavily even before then with defensive half intercepts at Geelong and manic forward half pressure at Collingwood.
I still remember an interview with Burgers before the 2013 GF being asked about how we would cope with Fremantle's pressure. His response was that we aren't too bad in that department too.

Dont let tail wag the dog. The kicks down the line are not the game plan. It just means we have no other options you have to give your opposition some credit for defending well. Our personnel largely hampers the way we want to play. We need better players and a more talent on our list.

We also need to build cohesiveness and play a team brand. We have had a lot of great players leave and the outcome is always the same. We are building towards that next premiership again

Besides being around the 180cm mark, what are the knocks on this guy? He has speed, can find the footy, hits the scoreboard and is a reliable ball user. Doesn’t really scream rookie pick, so what am I missing here?

Besides being around the 180cm mark, what are the knocks on this guy? He has speed, can find the footy, hits the scoreboard and is a reliable ball user. Doesn’t really scream rookie pick, so what am I missing here?
He can turn the ball over due to the mechanics of his kicking technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back