blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41
You mean the Dockers who had Tim Kelly training and playing under their nose for 5 years before he went to Geelong

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Honestly, i don't think there is a knock.

Usually, about 2 weeks out from a draft, word/hints/inferences start getting out about a few players that they're gonna drop down the draft. I tend to think this coincides with final interviews, medicals, family visits and things of the like. There were a few of those this year like other years.

But with Carroll he was pushing incrementally higher in opinions and whispers the closer we got to the draft. But in every draft there are also 1 or 2 genuine sliders who might just have 1 player ahead of them on multiple teams boards as each pick goes by. I honestly think this was Carroll.

He could have been Top 20 on 15 Club boards, but from 20 onwards each club could have had one of their players in the teens still there , or someone they needed listwise. And hence he just slipped 20 or so positions lower than if 1 sequence above went differently.

tldr...No knock, it was just our turn to get lucky.

Can't underestimate the value of leaking false or misleading info to other clubs about your intentions. No doubt Adelaide jumped on Pedlar in part because Carlton and to a lesser extent Freo were making noise about taking him.

I'm sure we'd have been more than happy to bring him in if available, but I think part of it was a deliberate attempt to engineer a situation to bring in a slider by overplaying our hand on other prospects, be it Poulter, Macrae or Carroll.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41

Also heard some concerns about his ability to relocate if taken outside WA, but we're pretty well stocked for ex-WA boys who'll help him settle in.

Reckon Cripps would be silently stoked at taking in another East Fremantle tall inside mid to mentor.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Add to the list of gun East Freo midfielders drafted to Carlton such as Patrick Cripps and Stephen Edgar

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Somebody give Crippa a steak stat.......
Looks rake thin in this photo.
Looking very lean. Almost too lean for his natural body type.

I know the club tried to trim him down for 2020 to get him a little more mobile, but I think for the position he plays, Inside raging bull, I think the extra Kgs are actually good for his game.

Would be happy for him to bulk back up to his 2018/2019 size

Carlton had the same opportunity with Kane Lambert

That blunder still shits me..

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Also heard some concerns about his ability to relocate if taken outside WA, but we're pretty well stocked for ex-WA boys who'll help him settle in.

Reckon Cripps would be silently stoked at taking in another East Fremantle tall inside mid to mentor.
I read/heard that he has family in Melbourne. It may have been a problem if drafted elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
Somebody give Crippa a steak stat.......
Looks rake thin in this photo.
Was literally the one thing that I wanted this off season (other than no injuries).

Desperate to see crippa back to beast mode size. Losing size seemed highly detrimental to his play style.

Will wait until Jan but he ain't gonna put on 10kg when the running restarts.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Can someone find the person that chose the music for his limited highlights package?
I’d like a word with them...
Cheers cc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back