The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As I understand it we have one spot left on our rookie list.

Here are the SSP rules

The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP) will operate as per 2020 but will not commence until January 6, 2020 and conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The following will apply:

• Players are permitted to participate in training sessions, intra-club matches, practice matches and the Marsh Community Series.
  • If a player is contracted to a State League Club at the time of signing during this period, the State League Club will be eligible for compensation from the AFL Club, noting the following exceptions:
    • A player that signs a State League contract after signing a Consent Form and commencing training
    • A player in their 18th year / first year of draft eligibility.

This can be a thread for discussing whop is still available and any train ion players etc.

Can we bring kids who didn't get drafted over to play at the maggies? If so get Baldwin over and a couple of other kids sanfl probably have a rule to stop that?

As I understand it we have one spot left on our rookie list.

Here are the SSP rules

The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP) will operate as per 2020 but will not commence until January 6, 2020 and conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The following will apply:

• Players are permitted to participate in training sessions, intra-club matches, practice matches and the Marsh Community Series.
  • If a player is contracted to a State League Club at the time of signing during this period, the State League Club will be eligible for compensation from the AFL Club, noting the following exceptions:
    • A player that signs a State League contract after signing a Consent Form and commencing training
    • A player in their 18th year / first year of draft eligibility.

This can be a thread for discussing whop is still available and any train ion players etc.

Can we assume that these rules are still current? That AFL statement was made on 4 November and they've already backflipped on the mid-season rookie stuff.

Can we assume that these rules are still current? That AFL statement was made on 4 November and they've already backflipped on the mid-season rookie stuff.
No idea.

The Crows said today they have already invited 2 players who "fill a need" to train on so I assume they are.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Zac DUMESNY
Clubs:
South Adelaide/South Australia
Position: Utility
Size: 187cm/80kg
Bio: Dumesny is one of the better kicks out of South Australia and showed his class against bigger bodies in the SANFL this year. He has done most of his work across half back, but can move up the ground if needed. He showed his ball winning ability later in the year for the Panthers, collecting over 30 touches against North Adelaide. He reads the play well and looms as an ideal prospect for a number of clubs.

I'm leaning towards an inside mid over a KPF.
I reckon with Ollie, SPP, Jones and Mead we are stocked for inside mids.

Our outside mids with Amon, Duursma, Bergman, Bonner, Farrell look OK if not a bit thin.

What we really need is a quality inside/outside mid. Right now we have our fingers crossed for Rozzee and Butters but if there is a project out there that could develop into and inside/outside mid that would be ideal.

Probably unlikely to find a player like that this late though so I'd be looking for an outsode mid rather than an inside one.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

The Cows' list is at the maximum 44. They should not be allowed to have train on players.

We have one list space open. We should be allowed to have train on players with a view to selection in the SSP. Maher and Baldwin are the standouts for me with Callow of some interest but it would be unfair to ask a player to relocate interstate for the one in ten possibility of getting selected. That's Maher and Callow out. As for Baldwin, I take it he is still doing rehab.

So of the SA players that went undrafted, Lake and Dumesny are really the main ones of interest. It would be nice to have a close look at some rucks as the Magpies could do with one- I really don't want Lord rucking in 2021.

Does anyone know if we can get the undrafted kids to play for Maggie's or not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know if we can get the undrafted kids to play for Maggie's or not?

Don't know for certain, but to have been eligible for the draft they'd probably have to have been registered with a state league club, so would need a clearance to play for Port. So not likely.

And as long as they definitely do not have any traceable lineage to Egypt.

Damn it. I was hoping we'd get Imhotep to help out Sam Hayes in the ruck.

Davies suggested we will wait til later in the year (6 months) to see if any Vic kids come on or if we have any needs.

I assume that will be the mid season draft still going ahead?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

The 2021 mid-season draft has been tentatively scheduled for June 2 next year while the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) will run from January 6 until March 9.

In the week before Christmas clubs can nominate a maximum of six players being considered for the SSP to train with them from January 6 when club's senior players return.

The Cows' list is at the maximum 44. They should not be allowed to have train on players.

We have one list space open. We should be allowed to have train on players with a view to selection in the SSP. Maher and Baldwin are the standouts for me with Callow of some interest but it would be unfair to ask a player to relocate interstate for the one in ten possibility of getting selected. That's Maher and Callow out. As for Baldwin, I take it he is still doing rehab.

So of the SA players that went undrafted, Lake and Dumesny are really the main ones of interest. It would be nice to have a close look at some rucks as the Magpies could do with one- I really don't want Lord rucking in 2021.
They can move Gibbs to the "Inactive" list, and are therefore allowed to replace him. Look to see them announce this soon.

It would be nice to have a close look at some rucks as the Magpies could do with one- I really don't want Lord rucking in 2021.

Teen aged rucks won't help the Maggies. Too underdeveloped.

Need a more mature aged type ie. 20 to 22 years of age. Think we can only keep top-ups until they are 23?
Just not sure if that means as soon as they turn 23 we relinquish them, or we can keep them for the full year in which they turn 23?

It would be nice to have a close look at some rucks as the Magpies could do with one- I really don't want Lord rucking in 2021.
Teen aged rucks won't help the Maggies. Too underdeveloped.

Need a more mature aged type ie. 20 to 22 years of age. Think we can only keep top-ups until they are 23?
Just not sure if that means as soon as they turn 23 we relinquish them, or we can keep them for the full year in which they turn 23?
Fahey-Sparks

Key defender Oscar McDonald could still find his way onto an AFL list for 2021, with the delisted Demon among three players that’ll spend the summer training with Carlton vying for its last list spot.

The Blues on Friday confirmed McDonald, as well as undrafted midfielder Zavier Maher and delisted key-position player Callum Moore, would train with the club during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP).

Port Adelaide has indicated it will assess prospects ahead of the mid-season draft, rather than add anyone during the SSP. That will allow its recruiters to watch three months of football where youngsters overlooked at the draft have a chance to shine. Glenelg forward Kaine Baldwin may be an option if he shows he has recovered from his second consecutive ACL injury. Baldwin was considered a possible top-10 pick in 2019, given his ability to pluck marks and crash packs, only to suffer his injury setbacks. The Power drafted Sandringham Dragons tall forward Ollie Lord but a highly-touted local spearhead could be tough to bypass. Port Adelaide might instead look to strengthen its depth with a more experienced state-league player to help its premiership tilt. If it went down that path, ex-Hawthorn swingman Luke Surman might be an option. He walked away from the Hawks midway through 2017 after a year and a half on their rookie list, before returning to Norwood. Surman has joined Port Adelaide’s SANFL team as a top-up player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back