Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow! What a left peg. Kicks it half as hard for twice the distance. Seems like he shouldn't kick it at all and it'd go the length of the ground.
Must be the combination of sweet timing and powerful thighs/legs.

Will be a weapon if he can combine a 60m kick after a quick dash off half back.

He could be up with Sicily in meters gained with that combination.

Must be the combination of sweet timing and powerful thighs/legs.

Will be a weapon if he can combine a 60m kick after a quick dash off half back.

He could be up with Sicily in meters gained with that combination.
Yeah. One of his shots at goal in the highlights he is 57 out, kicks it fairly nonchalantly at it clears the fence over the umpire's head. Ridiculous.
Looks like he can lead from fifty, mark it in the square, and while the defenders are keeping an eye on the forwards, he's just lining them up.

Great highlights which demonstrate his long kicking. Should be a real plus for us on the wing given the losses of Henderson and Smith. I look forward to seeing him on the field next year showing off his elite kicking. We did really well in not having to use our original pick 24. It would have been known by all clubs there he was destined for the hawks. Great pickup and best of luck Connor in years to come

Wow! What a left peg. Kicks it half as hard for twice the distance. Seems like he shouldn't kick it at all and it'd go the length of the ground.
The ‘Thighs’ have it.

I wonder if he plays inside midfield at BH as he was meant to be trialled there this year before games were cancelled. I think wing will suit him best though with some attendances to stoppages and centre bounces. Very exciting prospect!

I wonder if he plays inside midfield at BH as he was meant to be trialled there this year before games were cancelled. I think wing will suit him best though with some attendances to stoppages and centre bounces. Very exciting prospect!

Hope he stays out on a wing. We have players that can dish it out, but not many to dish it out to. Especially those with pace and can kick it like Downie can.

Hope he stays out on a wing. We have players that can dish it out, but not many to dish it out to. Especially those with pace and can kick it like Downie can.
Wonder if he's get a chance on the half back line we like having good big kicks back there and Sic is out for the year.

Phillips and Scully probs first choice wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he's get a chance on the half back line we like having good big kicks back there and Sic is out for the year.

Phillips and Scully probs first choice wings.
I'd assume he would start on the Half back line and get a few stints up on the wing until you can build his match day endurance. Hardwick, Day, Sicily, Frost and Downie is a nice mix of speed and elite kicking off the backline.

I'd assume he would start on the Half back line and get a few stints up on the wing until you can build his match day endurance. Hardwick, Day, Sicily, Frost and Downie is a nice mix of speed and elite kicking off the backline.
Was more a question of where he will be in that pecking order

Was more a question of where he will be in that pecking order
Shortest line for a spot in the 22 is probably wing. Philips and Scully the 2 real wingers. Smith and Henderson gone.

In the past we've played 3 wings when it was hill, Hartung and Smith (savage before that). Henderson, Smith and Scully too. Jordan Lewis was often rotated to the wing too but not a winger really.

I can see us going with Philips and Scully and downie on the bench. Day, cj and Moore other potential wings. Finn has the tank but he'll stay in the middle I'd say.

Shortest line for a spot in the 22 is probably wing. Philips and Scully the 2 real wingers. Smith and Henderson gone.

In the past we've played 3 wings when it was hill, Hartung and Smith (savage before that). Henderson, Smith and Scully too. Jordan Lewis was often rotated to the wing too but not a winger really.

I can see us going with Philips and Scully and downie on the bench. Day, cj and Moore other potential wings. Finn has the tank but he'll stay in the middle I'd say.
Day will play wing. No doubt.

Where did downie play prior to last year? I read somewhere that he was pushed out to a wing for his bottom age year - is wing his best spot?
has a booming kick but is not super quick (more smart). Is he more a balanced mid longer term as is a great size.

I also think calls for day to play wing are premature. Think we’ll let him settle into owning the hbf (noting teams will spend a lot more time on him) and building his tank. His reading of play, intercept marking and ability to cut through congestion will also be partially wasted on a wing (especially as our wings need to be gut running freaks). I note Birchall never progressed to a wing.

Where did downie play prior to last year? I read somewhere that he was pushed out to a wing for his bottom age year - is wing his best spot?
has a booming kick but is not super quick (more smart). Is he more a balanced mid longer term as is a great size.

I also think calls for day to play wing are premature. Think we’ll let him settle into owning the hbf (noting teams will spend a lot more time on him) and building his tank. His reading of play, intercept marking and ability to cut through congestion will also be partially wasted on a wing (especially as our wings need to be gut running freaks). I note Birchall never progressed to a wing.
Downie is quite quick. Like his kicking, he tends to move very quickly without looking like he is exerting effort but from watching him, he usually has a gear up his sleeve. I think early on that he is best suited to a wing because he tends to follow the play and run to support rather than get ahead of it through gut running. But he is capable as a hff and wing and we might try him in a few roles throughout next year.

he didn’t get the chance to show his ability in the middle. In the couple of times I saw him at a stoppage he showed he had the agility and quick hands needed but he isn’t a Brad Sewell who thrives on crashing in. But he is physically capable of winning contests even if he is inexperienced and can make mistakes. Id suggest inside mid could only be a longer term goal at this point.

Absolutely love this :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
Unreal scenes! Gunston looking prime to play a heavy leadership role this year. Seems like such a great kid- I think I'm more excited to watch this young man's journey than all else!
I changed my sporting number to 16 when I realised Smithy was my favourite player, I would love for this lad to get it next.

Absolutely love this :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
Unreal scenes! Gunston looking prime to play a heavy leadership role this year. Seems like such a great kid- I think I'm more excited to watch this young man's journey than all else!
I changed my sporting number to 16 when I realised Smithy was my favourite player, I would love for this lad to get it next.

I don’t think Downie is drawing enough excitement atm (probably because we have been talking about him for over a year though)! It would be fitting for him to take the #16 but Hawks don’t always pass the numbers down like that.

I don’t think Downie is drawing enough excitement atm (probably because we have been talking about him for over a year though)! It would be fitting for him to take the #16 but Hawks don’t always pass the numbers down like that.
I believe this is mostly because he was an NGA and the hype has been simmering all year (where he's not been able to play). Once he debut's I expect it to grow heaps haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back