Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Rayner was well known for having a terrible tank and still has which is holding him back from playing significant time midfield even after 4 years
Fogerty - Well hardly a good comparison and looking more like a bust every day again due to his inability to work
Constable - Cant run no speed and was on the market for free with no takers
CCJ not sure what his reason was but looks a good runner and i would be thinking he either had issue's or something else

Ruckman with bad tanks rarely get drafted and Sam Hayes comes to mind going into the 2017 draft he was considered a top 10-15 pick as the best Ruckman in his year but had the same issue with his aerobic base and was a drafted by port late 3rd round.

I think if we had picked him up later it wouldnt have raised many eye brows but at #40 (#36 originally) It was considered too high , Many are saying it was due to brisbane but who would know if thats correct or not and we are probably using that as an reason because they drafted Smith after us and we did bid on eyre prior to that selection.

Good luck to Samson and i hope he becomes a Gun Ruckman for the next 10 years

RFC would have been in contact with the kid and his manager and known who was showing interest. Clarke has admitted he looks at phantom drafts and draft chat in the media to see where the group think rates players vs our own analysis etc.

It's ok if you don't like the pick but I think the club have earned the right to determine where he should be picked and in front of who. Regardless of what the media and BF "draft gurus" may think.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
RFC would have been in contact with the kid and his manager and known who was showing interest. Clarke has admitted he looks at phantom drafts and draft chat in the media to see where the group think rates players vs our own analysis etc.

It's ok if you don't like the pick but I think the club have earned the right to determine where he should be picked and in front of who. Regardless of what the media and BF "draft gurus" may think.

Absolutely they have and as you said they would have more info than we do but at the same time i wouldnt like to be doing a Carlton and jumping at shadows selecting players just because kids tell us other clubs are talking to them.

I just look at it like he must not have been a big must have when we bid on essendon academy defender/foward then decide to go Ruck
which indicates that he was not a 'priority'

I think we had both Allison & McMahon at that pick then took what was left from our ranking

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I got a feeling this pick is with a eye to play CCJ as a permanent forward with little ruck duties.
I think you’re right. I remember thinking 12 months ago “how we will ever replace Rance?” Well we may never, but Balta will go a long way to solving that issue. Atm I’m thinking “how we will ever replace Riewoldt?” Would be nice in 12 months time to say CCJ has gone a long way to solving that problem

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Seriously dude go back and read the original post
Nowhere did i say he spilled a mark.

maybe you try a little harder to read and understand perhaps.

OK ill spell it for you . Apart from the 2 marks at the start

Everytime he takes a mark

He goes to ground.
And read my lips , he still didn’t spill it

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I got a feeling this pick is with a eye to play CCJ as a permanent forward with little ruck duties.
Hmm yes and no , tells me more that they’re not convinced yet where’s CCJ at , get this kid fit and see what he can do , if he takes 18m or more we got the time , I think both look like they have the tools to spend time forward

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you’re right. I remember thinking 12 months ago “how we will ever replace Rance?” Well we may never, but Balta will go a long way to solving that issue. Atm I’m thinking “how we will ever replace Riewoldt?” Would be nice in 12 months time to say CCJ has gone a long way to solving that problem

Weird to think the Rance retirement was a blessing, of sorts

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Rowan Marshall and Riley O'Brien were the ones I was thinking of. Samson is a good 5cm taller than those blokes and with a couple of preseasons, adding 10kgs could very well rival them.
I think Oscar from the Lions is on the improve too. He was the one who whipped us in the final. Taking senior ruck duties & revelling in it. With Stefan Martin leaving Lions have played 2 rucks rotating KPF plus Hipwood be interesting to see what they do re KPF

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
I think Oscar from the Lions is on the improve too. He was the one who whipped us in the final. Taking senior ruck duties & revelling in it. With Stefan Martin leaving Lions have played 2 rucks rotating KPF plus Hipwood be interesting to see what they do re KPF

think they’re hoping for Daniher to come good

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Rayner was well known for having a terrible tank and still has which is holding him back from playing significant time midfield even after 4 years
Fogerty - Well hardly a good comparison and looking more like a bust every day again due to his inability to work
Constable - Cant run no speed and was on the market for free with no takers
CCJ not sure what his reason was but looks a good runner and i would be thinking he either had issue's or something else

Ruckman with bad tanks rarely get drafted and Sam Hayes comes to mind going into the 2017 draft he was considered a top 10-15 pick as the best Ruckman in his year but had the same issue with his aerobic base and was a drafted by port late 3rd round.

I think if we had picked him up later it wouldnt have raised many eye brows but at #40 (#36 originally) It was considered too high , Many are saying it was due to brisbane but who would know if thats correct or not and we are probably using that as an reason because they drafted Smith after us and we did bid on eyre prior to that selection.

Good luck to Samson and i hope he becomes a Gun Ruckman for the next 10 years
Sampson (should call him Ryan really but with a first name like Sampson you can't go past it) looks pretty mobile and seemed to have no problem running out the game that was posted earlier. Goes well at ground level which shows further his mobility, many of the big rucks can't do that, so the basics of being an athlete look to be there, an AFL preseason will sort him out. Reckon Soldo's first year he wouldn't have been going under that time.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Ex-South Toowoomba Bombers player selected by Richmond Tigers in 2020 AFL player draft
The dreams of a former South Toowoomba Bombers player have come true with selection in the AFL

Jason Gibbs
December 10, 2020 - 1:08PM
Toowoomba Chronicle

AFL: Samson Ryan was sitting on the couch, alongside his nearly asleep father Luke when his dream came true Thursday night.

With pick 40 of the 2020 AFL Draft, Ryan was selected by the Richmond Tigers, the club he grew up supporting, on the same day he celebrated his 20th birthday.

“It was crazy,” Ryan said.

“Obviously we were not expecting it to happen last night, everyone had sort of gone to bed.

“It was a bit of whirlwind when it happened – we’re over the moon.

“I’m very grateful.”

The Brisbane Lions Academy graduate, who enrolled at Toowoomba Grammar School in 2016 as a cricketer, was due to play NEAFL this season before its cancellation.

Instead he lined up for Sherwood where he caught the eye of Richmond Tigers scouts.

“I came to Grammar to play after (TGS Director of Sport and Activities) Steven Fryer bought me here,” Ryan said.

“I got back into my footy, I’ve always loved it, and I played a year with South Toowoomba Bombers before I trialled with the Brisbane Lions Academy.

“For the past three or fours years I’ve been doing the Warrego (Highway), travelling up and down, training and eventually got there in the end.”

Samson Ryan (centre) celebrates being drafted by Richmond Tigers with his family (from left) Rosy, Belinda Samson, Luke and Jem.

Samson Ryan (centre) celebrates being drafted by Richmond Tigers with his family (from left) Rosy, Belinda Samson, Luke and Jem.

The 206cm, 96kg ruckman will line up alongside some of the game’s greatest players and is looking forward to the challenge.

“They (Richmond) have some really good ruck stocks down there and are coming off the back of a premiership season.

“It’s a great successful club and a really good environment to be part of.

“I can’t wait to get down there I think I’m going to learn so much from such great people.

“At the start it was to get on an AFL list, I’ve done that.

“Now to be at Richmond – a club that has been so successful and with a great philosophy – it’s amazing.”

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
'Alongside' is an interesting word. Cos I reckon they both play better when they are the main ruck. When they both play their TOGs are quite low. 2019 Soldo really came on when he had solo ruck duties. 2020 for Ivan wasn't as good. But 2020 Nank really hit form after the Lions finals loss when he solo rucked
very much agree , for as long as I can remember ruckmen seem to lift when they are it
and at all levels

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Samson Ryan was team mates with Noah Cumberland & Will Martyn for 2 years in the Brisbane academy

Thinking our recruiters had seen a fair bit of him during these years having picked up the 2 boys in 2019

He was 197cm and 80kgs then

What's our obsession with Brisbane academy players? Fully expecting us to draft the whole lions academy with our 6 picks next year in the super draft

TimmytheTiger

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
What's our obsession with Brisbane academy players? Fully expecting us to draft the whole lions academy with our 6 picks next year in the super draft

I know that there is a degree of tongue in cheek here, but I am hopeful that the pick of Martyn and Cumberland are two of the most astute draft choices that we have ever made.

granted that proof is going to be in pudding, but I am more curious about these two than most of the other pick ups.

BrisbaneBlue

Senior List
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Hope you don't mind the intrusion. My son plays at Sherwood which is the same club as Samson, although he was in the 14s. Saw a lot of Samson and the QAFL had a lot of Mature ex-AFL bodies as NEAFL didn't play. Sherwood had Liam Dawson, Claye Beams, and Ryan Harwood, but there were a lot of ex-AFL ruckmen in the lists of teams that Samson played against. He was very solid in the ruck, took a number of marks and does a lot at ground level. He won most ruck contests, but didn't really dominate. Can hit a target by foot, and does have decent endurance. He has done a lot of weight work, and isn't light, but will be helped by the trainers at the Tiges as he can be pushed under the ball. I would have loved him to go to the Blues, as he has huge upside and I think he could play some games next year. He has great IQ, knows where the ball is going and has awareness of teammates and players around him. Good luck to him, he seems a great guy, and well done on recruiting a player I think was a late developer and will come better than expected.

Back