Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Florida Everblades

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like this guy too. He looks nuggety but quick, which is a good combo. Interesting running and patented double handed bouncing style, really leans forward. Looks like a decent long kick.

So how come he only gets picked up in the rookie draft?

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like this guy too. He looks nuggety but quick, which is a good combo. Interesting running and patented double handed bouncing style, really leans forward. Looks like a decent long kick.

So how come he only gets picked up in the rookie draft?
Doesn't look to have to much contested game. Not that it would bother us

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Vandermeer didn't either, and we reached for him, but he's turned out to be one of our best bang for buck picks in years. I'll admit I'm still unsure about that Bedendo pick, but I like the look of McNeil

Looking at the highlights of both McNeil and Benendo, they both have X factor. Both late pick so you need to go for the X factor and see if it works out.

From a structural view we don’t need either to actually play in the next 2 years so if one comes through it is a bonus.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doesn't look to have to much contested game. Not that it would bother us

we have developed a massive forward rush whenever we transition between defense and attack - easy rebound goals for our opponents all season.

Vandermeer didn't either, and we reached for him, but he's turned out to be one of our best bang for buck picks in years. I'll admit I'm still unsure about that Bedendo pick, but I like the look of McNeil

Vandermeer, yeah, he had just about reached "automatic selection when fit" status in 2020. It was not so much a volume thing with him, it's where and in what situations he was getting his possessions and what he did with them. Very damaging player. Much prefer him to a player that racks up 30 disposals and 12 marks by constantly providing the safe defensive kick option but doesn't hurt the opposition at all - not saying we have any quite like that but other teams do.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Doing a bit of reading about McNeil, one thing I'm really impressed about is how he's willing to do the defensive stuff. Lots of games where he had 10+ tackles, and consistent mentions of his desperation to win every contest. He went undrafted due to a lack of outside game and poor use by foot and really worked hard in the SANFL to improve that. In the SANFL grand final he sprayed his first shot and next quarter in a similar position nailed it. Maybe reading too much into it but I think he's got a good head on his shoulders and was able to correct his mistake which is something lots of AFL footballers can't do mid-game.

I keep going back to a Picken comparison. Can be inside or outside, really team oriented, is a nice mark for his size, capable of hitting the scoreboard as well as piling on pressure. I think we need someone like that to balance how much of our midfield does their best work as more outside link-up players and forward-half types. I'll be excited to see how he goes in the VFL next year and if he has what it takes to push into a stacked AFL midfield.

Last edited:
Finding a player like that who missed out in his u18 draft year is a great filter for a few attributes, like determination, application, persistence, willingness to listen and adapt, and an appreciation of how much you should value your opportunity when it finally comes.

I get the impression he'll give it everything to make his career a success. A bit like Pickers did.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Doing a bit of reading about McNeil, one thing I'm really impressed about is ...

Don't get too excited about what you read about junior footballers, b o b, look at who wrote the material, even better, his/her sources. We all hope rookie picks become Moz/Picko.

PS Particularly Picko, my favourite FFC footballer of all time, now if he could only fly a spitfire like Blueyl

Last edited:
I keep going back to a Picken comparison. Can be inside or outside, really team oriented, is a nice mark for his size, capable of hitting the scoreboard as well as piling on pressure. I think we need someone like that to balance how much of our midfield does their best work as more outside link-up players and forward-half types. I'll be excited to see how he goes in the VFL next year and if he has what it takes to push into a stacked AFL midfield.
Interesting comparison because his pathway to an AFL rookie list is pretty close to Matthew Boyd (overager who started the year in the State league seconds)

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bump.

This guy continues to impress and grow with each game despite numerous calls for him to be dropped by many on here.

14 disposals and a goal the other night. Covers the ground well, applies pressure, and is hungry for a goal. On top of that he goes hard at it as demonstrated by his effort against Casboult(?) last week where he got pole-axed.

All in all a great addition to the team and might I say it, a lucky charm, with our only loss coming when he did not take the field.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Never would have picked him for a best 22 spot off the bat but he's looking comfortable there.

Back