Opinion John Barnes. The most underrated Cat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid competitor who rarely had his colours lowered against mostly taller and better rated opponents.
Most underrated? Plenty of guys who played for us in my time could claim that badge.
A couple off the top for me:
Brad Sholl
Paul Sarah
Glen Kilpatrick
More recently, Matthew Stokes.

Last edited:

Brad Sholl, awesome old school Cats player & very under rated. Barnes was a barometer on team. When he up and about our on ballers lifted. He had a fantastic leap, which he needed as he was under sized for the ruck position. With Barnes, you needed to take his good with the bad. He was prone to the odd brain fade. I was pleased for him when the Bombers won the GF.

I'll never knock Barnsey. He always gave everything on the field.

There's been some other good noms on here for underrated. Mooney, remembered by opposition fans for the goal kicking yips, remembered by my as a very mobile player who worked hard and was very, very good on both sides around the ground. Harley the other. A very cool intercept marker (except for early in the '07 pf?).

The bedrock of our dynasty was built on Scarlett and Harley.

The video of the Port '03 game that was posted earlier in the thread. Forward line, Chapman, Johnson, Ablett.

1607827673939.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have mentioned - as a ruckman ( and unfortunately got exposed a bit in big finals ) but Barnes gave away so much height to opposing ruckman - like Justin Madden killed him in the 95GF - but it would be interesting to know what the difference between those 2 in inches was in height

Like i heard Billy Goggin once say that the ruckman who troubled Polly Farmer the most - was Neville Crow of Richmond ( who was a good player ) but simply because he had a height advantage .

Bos was a better player than Barnes, for sure.

Had tons of footy left when he gave it away too.

He's an outback farmer these days.
Not one to ever live in the past. A lot of these late 70's early 80's players have moved on quite a fair ways since their playing days.
Top player. So solid and rugged in defense.

Would be up there with Stewart as our best defender if he played today. Tough as nails.

As others have mentioned - as a ruckman ( and unfortunately got exposed a bit in big finals ) but Barnes gave away so much height to opposing ruckman - like Justin Madden killed him in the 95GF - but it would be interesting to know what the difference between those 2 in inches was in height

Like i heard Billy Goggin once say that the ruckman who troubled Polly Farmer the most - was Neville Crow of Richmond ( who was a good player ) but simply because he had a height advantage .

5 inches difference.

But I'll have to disagree with the general premise that a few people have shared: that Barnesy was smashed up by Justin Madden in the 95 GF.

Madden - 15 disposals, 4 marks, 10 hitouts
Barnes - 22 disposals, 14 marks, 5 hitouts

Johnny B was close to Geelong's BOG that day, and one of only 3 players that can hold their head high after that effort (along with Couchy, Pickers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back