Senior 16. Jack Carroll

Remove this Banner Ad

16-carroll-jpg.1578900

Last edited by a moderator:

That blunder still shits me..
I just didn't understand it at the time. He was absolutely killing the VFL under our nose. We all saw his quality.
I don't see it happening at Carlton. It took a very specific set of circumstances that let it happen for him at Richmond, and there's no certainty it'd ever have happened here.

There, he was one of 6-10 who took that next step in 2017. If he was here in 2017, he'd have been yet another bloke to need to get used to the ball going over his head or to get rotated through a position he'd spent less than 2 weeks training due to injury.

And I'm as sick of us wallowing in what we shoulda/coulda as I am in '95, 1999, and any of the finals or H and A wins in the new century. It's time for us to stop living in the past, even if it's been all we've had for 25 years.

Last edited:
I don't see it happening at Carlton. It took a very specific set of circumstances that let it happen for him at Richmond, and there's no certainty it'd ever have happened here.

There, he was one of 6-10 who took that next step in 2017. If he was here in 2017, he'd have been yet another bloke to need to get used to the ball going over his head or to get rotated through a position he'd spent less than 2 weeks training due to injury.

And I'm as sick of us wallowing in what we shoulda/coulda as I am in '95, 1999, and any of the finals or H and A wins in the new century. It's time for us to stop living in the past, even if it's been all we've had for 25 years.
That's partly up to the club, we aren't used to being St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs (pre 2016). We are a premiership winning club who has forgotten how to win premierships.

Last edited:
That's partly up to the club, we aren't used to being St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs (pre 2016). We are a premiership winning club who has forgotten how to win premierships.
I agree, but I wasn't talking about the club so much as us, the fans. We need to stop kicking ourselves over the ones that got away.

Not sure I'm wallowing in '99. That was the ground zero beginning of 20 years of pain.

I agree, but I wasn't talking about the club so much as us, the fans. We need to stop kicking ourselves over the ones that got away.
Certainly in those kinds of cases, he was only one of quite a number of players we could have had if we played our cards right. The fact that he played for our reserves is technically irrelevant. To be pretentious, I'm more concerned with foresight rather than hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly in those kinds of cases, he was only one of quite a number of players we could have had if we played our cards right. The fact that he played for our reserves is technically irrelevant. To be pretentious, I'm more concerned with foresight rather than hindsight.
Theoretically, we can and should feel awful about each and every player that goes after each and every pick we've ever made. Think of how much wonderful FOMO we're missing out on, by limiting it to Lucas ahead of Talia, Townsend, Gowers and Butler.

Or, we could stop. Just a thought.

I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41

that was me with Jack Graham a few years a go =[

Welcome, Jack Well done Austin for nabbing Carroll ar #41 an absolute bargain very lucky he was still there. He's only a baby still not 18 played against kids older than him I'm sure if he wasn't eligible for this draft he would have gone top 10-20 next year's draft playing against kids his age.

I really wanted Carrol at Richmond even with our first pick and when we traded it i thought ohh well , But then he was still there at our 2nd and we still didnt take him and selected an unknown Ruckman (our 5th Ruck) - Disappointing but good luck to the blues and hope he develops into a great player.

But there is 1 thing thats been playing on my mind that made me kind of ok with not selecting him and i dont mean to be coming across as salty but made me think. Fremantle would have had the best access to jack and would have had everybody that has had anything to do with him on speed dial and walker and Carroll were really close at east fremantle i believe and they didnt select him . I think they had 3 chances and also could have traded down if they really wanted him. This makes me think Why ??

So in saying this i think maybe be a little more patient & little more conservative with expectations. But still a bargain at 41
Yes, I can't get a handle on what to make of him, TBH. He seems to play a type of game beyond his height/weight. I'm hoping he's a Cripps/Fyfe type; they were both players drafted slightly above (as opposed to below) where they were expected to go, who grew bit after being drafted. I know he has a late birthdate but that's not always an indicator.

Yes, I can't get a handle on what to make of him, TBH. He seems to play a type of game beyond his height/weight. I'm hoping he's a Cripps/Fyfe type; they were both players drafted slightly above (as opposed to below) where they were expected to go, who grew bit after being drafted. I know he has a late birthdate but that's not always an indicator.
I have seen some opinions from people out west that he plays similar to Cotchin without the same amount of agro but who knows really with so little vision available

I have seen some opinions from people out west that he plays similar to Cotchin without the same amount of agro but who knows really with so little vision available
cotchin? agro? ok........

Yeah sure, I didn't see you calling for us to pick him.

Jack Carroll still on the board!!!
Carroll or Neale might get through!!!
Winder or Carroll
I'm thinking the same thing :)
CARROLL CARROLL CARROLL!!!!!

PICK CARROLL!!!
Please pick Carroll!!!!!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic.

Unedited quotes in the draft thread leading up to the selection ^^^^^^. Feel free to click on all of them to verify the time they were posted. They were my thoughts at the time given who was remaining on the board leading into our selection.

Carroll is the perfect fit for our midfield group. Balanced, skillful midfielder who should have gone in the first round IMO. Can't believe he slid all the way to our selection. I personally feel in time he will prove to be in the top 3 midfielders taken in this draft. We shouldn't underestimate how good he is and I'm not saying that just because we picked him. Rated him extremely highly before the draft and was doing cartwheels when he fell to our selection and we took him.

If we had a first round pick, I would have been applauding the club for taking him with that selection. He does have a light frame at the moment, but I reckon he could get senior games earlier than some on here think.

Feel free to bookmark this comment, but I reckon in a few years time when the media review this draft, Carroll will be considered the biggest steal of the draft.

Gee he looks a player! I'm no draft watching expert, but my track record of separating wheat from chaff is pretty good... He's going to be a ripper, bookmark it. Well done Austin, Agresta and Brodie!

Also - he's a great size! Not even 18 yet, and I can see more cm being added to his frame. Another 190+ midfielder in our ranks. What's not to love!?

Best of luck Jack, but I don't reckon you'll need it.

I’m actually the opposite of a draft watching expert. I recognise highlights are just that, and I don’t have time or good enough understanding of the modern game to figure out who we should be choosing.

but the player whose highlights I loved in the last five years was Adam Cerra. So smooth and sleek in traffic. Reminded me of a young James Hird. And Carroll’s highlights aren’t dissimilar. He’s doing stuff in traffic in those highlights that can’t be taught. There is just an innate awareness of how to find the ball and how to move with it when he has it. And the disposal when he has it is great too. Then you top it off with the ability to take a contested grab, and well... I’m excited.

fingers crossed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back