Movie Movies based on true events v the actual true story

Remove this Banner Ad

Give me your best ones.

Argo- the ending. Completely, utterly false. The Americans walked onto that plane as easy as apple pie, not a care in the world. Obviously had to be changed for dramatic purposes, otherwise would have been a snooze fest at the end.

The Walk. Based on the guy who walked between the Twin Towers. AKAIK- that film is completely accurate.

The Accused.

Movie based on the real life case of a woman who was gang raped on a pool table, whilst visiting the bar to pick up a packet of cigarettes. About 4-5 joined in, half the bar did nothing, the rest of them cheered. She somehow got free, ran away and 2 men driving past assisted her. Tragically a handful of years later she was killed in a car crash. (sometimes there just is no karma in this world)

The movie changed these details tho, made it a work of fiction with different names, etc. But the general gist of the case was still the same.

Last edited:

The Blind Side, where to even start. Biggest one would be the implication that Oehr has never played football (he had and was already very very good)

Iirc he was really pissed at the film? Said it made him out to be a real dummy (at first), which he is not.

The granddaddy of them all in the “so not true it’s amusing” stakes is bloodsport.

Jean Claude Van Damme made the film in the late 80s with the story by Frank Dux (who JCVD plays in the film” Dux claims the whole story is not just true but in many instances they watered down the reality of the story so audiences would believe it.

Essentially it’s about an invite only fight to the death tournament held every few years. Dux scored an invite and went on to win it a bunch of times, never being beaten, the film even has an epilogue with a bunch of his records.

The Kumite has never been verified as being a real thing by anyone, Dux military history was mostly fabricated and the dude seems completely full of s**t.

AFAIK Snowtown was fairly accurate- bar skipping some murders, etc due to time constraints.

Zero Dark Thirty: lead character did not exist- was a combination of several different ppl involved in the capture of Bin Laden. Another typical method to make the story less complicated.

The bombing of the hotel she/they were at never happened either- was for dramatic purposes.

If youve not seen Bloodsport do yaself a favour, its a classic

What era was it made?
/I know i can google, just making conversation

INXS mini series (which i loved)- another one who left out a few characters to keep the story moving along. I think a few noses got out of joint over that tho.

Bohemian Rhapsody, alot of things didnt happen/ did but in the wrong order, etc.. TheLoungeLizard

Would have much preferred the real version and a more gritty, less Disney, version than what they served up.

AFAIK Snowtown was fairly accurate- bar skipping some murders, etc due to time constraints.

Zero Dark Thirty: lead character did not exist- was a combination of several different ppl involved in the capture of Bin Laden. Another typical method to make the story less complicated.

The bombing of the hotel she/they were at never happened either- was for dramatic purposes.

What era was it made?
/I know i can google, just making conversation
1988, was really the film that launched his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all means, use this thread of true stories you'd like to see on the big screen. Either in dramatic form or documentary form.

For me: Port Arthur (which they're doing), the events and crimes leading up to Jill Meagher's murder (focusing on Bayley and the complete inadequacy of the legal system), Daniel Morcombe kidnapping- mainly from the POV of "The Sting" a fabulous book I could not put down.

I think JM (please note- i do not mean depicting her rape and murder in the film- at all) would make a good feature film. DM's story would be far too long for the big screen. Would make a good min series for TV- either 2 or 3 part.

Im trying to recall all the ones i know that did a "good" job of accuracy.

Spotlight, Catch Me if you Can, 12 years a slave, Apollo 13, Lost Girls, Raging Bull, Hidden Figures, Capote, Hotel Mumbai, Social Network, 127 Hours, The Pianist, Schindlers List, Into the Wild, Shattered Glass, All the Presidents Men...

Theres probably way more but they jump to mind as ones that stayed mostly accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back