Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
He looks an exciting prospect.
If he can play like this with the big boys an come out the other side unscathed, then we have done well.
He looka real see bal, get ball , regardless of who is in the way.
He has good closing speed and good hands.Hit hard.
I look forward to seeing him inthe Imperial Purple.

Duck_18_

Rookie
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You have a good one there. Was supposed to play with my son in the U17 Cohuna Kangas but had an injury for a large part of the season, then he could not play finals due to higher league commitments. Stayed around all season to coach and run water! Quality young man. (They won the Grand Final without him anyway!!)

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Treacy

Attachments

• 16CC0BDC-EACE-4A84-A452-37B908A18519.png
    16CC0BDC-EACE-4A84-A452-37B908A18519.png
    834.8 KB · Views: 489

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Every player drafted on the Rookie list has a defect in their game of some sort. Doesn’t mean they can’t become an established AFL player but for every Tabs there are 4 or 5 Dixon’s or Stradrnica’s.
I wonder what is the main knock on young Josh. Love his bravery and attack on the ball anyway, two raw ingredients that are hard to coach.

Last edited:

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Every player drafted on the Rookie list has a defect in their game of some sort. Doesn’t mean they can’t become an established AFL player but for every Tabs there are 4 or 5 Dixon’s or Stradrnica’s.
I wonder what is the main knock on young Josh. Love his bravery and attack on the ball anyway, two raw ingredients that are hard to coach.
Probably no knock other than tall's take awhile to reach their potential, clubs and fan's are impatient.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Check out the number of good players fremantle have from the rookie list.We have done well.Sandi for one.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Check out the number of good players fremantle have from the rookie list.We have done well.Sandi for one.
True but in the last 8 or 9 years tabs and Hughes, maybe Duman, are the only success stories. Sandilands was drafted nearly 20 years ago when across the board in the AFL the draft was undervalued and relatively more quality players slid into the rookie draft.
Of course a decent ruckman in particular can be snagged in the RD, Rowan Marshall being a recent example. But overall, talent ID has improved a lot and relatively less quality players should be sliding to the Rookie draft than before. In saying that 2020 could well be an exception given the unique season we have had.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Amazing considering they went for talls with virtually every pick.

It does leave me with question marks. The really good talls get drafted early. The highlights make it look like he should have gone top ten. I have a diet heavy in salt.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
True but in the last 8 or 9 years tabs and Hughes, maybe Duman, are the only success stories. Sandilands was drafted nearly 20 years ago when across the board in the AFL the draft was undervalued and relatively more quality players slid into the rookie draft.
Of course a decent ruckman in particular can be snagged in the RD, Rowan Marshall being a recent example. But overall, talent ID has improved a lot and relatively less quality players should be sliding to the Rookie draft than before. In saying that 2020 could well be an exception given the unique season we have had.
Barlow was a legendary rookie get, maybe just fits that timeframe. Lee Spurr also very handy.

But of late a lot of the rookie spots have been used for list management purposes, with players coming in off the main list either injury prone types with talent or those who haven't cemented but they wanted more of a look at.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Indeed. But does anyone here actually think Banfield could play tall? It raised my eyebrows.
key defender.
we could use one :p

It does leave me with question marks. The really good talls get drafted early. The highlights make it look like he should have gone top ten. I have a diet heavy in salt.
I expect if his highlights featured more empty Dockland's stadium or Kardinya park seats he would have gone higher in the draft. If he was 5cm taller too.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 or 5? I'd say 10 or 20.

In our history, by my count, we have had 9 players first drafted in the rookie draft by us* play 75 games or more for Freo. This is from 100's of picks**. Of them only 1, Tabs, is a key forward.

*Daniel Pearce was originally a rookie.
**And we have one of the better records.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 or 5? I'd say 10 or 20.

In our history, by my count, we have had 9 players first drafted in the rookie draft by us* play 75 games or more for Freo. This is from 100's of picks**. Of them only 1, Tabs, is a key forward.

*Daniel Pearce was originally a rookie.
**And we have one of the better records.
So what you are saying is that we should temper our expectations? I suppose I can see Treacy being a 1 time Coleman medalist...

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why didn’t the bombers take him? I guess they didn’t take Barlow either but it seems like they would have been on the lookout for a developing forward.

Scrolling through Essendon's draft history is not a great endorsement for their talent ID, and I think they are one of the worst recruiting departments going around. Their drought for winning a final reflects this.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I expect if his highlights featured more empty Dockland's stadium or Kardinya park seats he would have gone higher in the draft. If he was 5cm taller too.

I think you nailed it, the main doubt about him is his height.

To be a real power forward in the AFL these days you've got to be 6'6" or taller. He's a couple shy of that, he might still have some growth left him in though.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it says a fair bit about team situation that the most popular draftee thread is the Victorian rookie kid rather than the local 1st or 2nd round picks. I'm not sure whether I should be amused or uncomfortable, probably both.
No doubt the filling the KPF hole is a major reason but people are also curious creatures. Most semi-interested folk here knew about the 4 WA boys before the draft. Only a handful of us knew anything at all about Treacy. I'm expecting once they start training and Western carves it up with his speed he'll be most talked about followed by the smooth run of Walker. Then once AFL/WAFL seasons start we'll focus more on what Chappy and Drisco bring. If we're still talking about Treacy the most in a few months then the hype train will have not only left the station it will rocketing down the tracks at full speed.

Back