List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i was to be brutally honest

I wouldnt be dissecting the team or the picks in the draft and which players have been taken at what pick or which players would have been better etc
My biggest concern would be with the coaching team having the ability to implement a game style thats going to win games and play the players to their strengths.
Somebody mentioned above a chip mark run game style. I disagree with that as the teams that play that have been found out and fallen short when pressure has been applied in finals and is only effective against weak'er sides that dont have the pressure or cant apply it long enough.
Eagles , Pies Geelong are the teams that play that way and constantly fall short.

Game has evolved and teams like Brisbane , Port ,St Kilda are now moving to a similar model to richmonds plan of all out attack when in possession and constant pressure when not with running full ground to create option and tackle in packs.

Carltons coaches cannot be allowed to fall into safety of holding onto the ball with the possession game

People aren't calling for that game style, more adding those layers rather than full on attack.

Adding more tempo would help to minimize the 5 goal swings we have suffered on regular occasions

This year, Tigers added tempo in the back half at times, when needed, without poorly effecting their gamestyle

Yeah we should be aiming to play finals next year for sure.
What still concerns me is our lapses for large chunks in games, where we let the opposition get too much of a run o.
I hope this is the #1 priority to be addressed in our preseason.
And then rotating our mids more often in 2021.

We had outside plans of playing in them this year, so playing finals is a must for the club now, having acquired the players we did via trade and getting another year into the young players.....albeit, it wasn't the best year to do that in.

Also, if we didn't learn what went right and what went wrong for us this year.....we shouldn't be in the business of football.

It's going to be a bit of a nervous year for the club as everything is now pointing towards finals...no excuses an all we hav to do is to be better than 10 other teams to get there. Easy :)

Dont think there was a better kpd than the 2 we drafted, which were also positions of need, now kpd is nexts years focus, with a higher first round pick, or trade
I think Jarrod Brander would be the perfect trade target next year. I'd even give LOB another contract if having another familiar face on the list would make us a more attractive destination. He provides some cover for Charlie and/or someone to take over from Jones.

I think/hope this was somewhat a result of what we had at our disposal. We pretty much had to take risks to be able to hit the scoreboard. We are clearly more talented and mature this year so hopefully we can reign in our attacking play somewhat and still hit the scoreboard.
We got caught up to much at times trying to match the fast play of the opposition when we should have been playing tempo and trying to control the game, there needs to be an ability to change gears at vital stages and being able to read the game better to get the gear shifts right, you can’t just have one speed or tempo and I hope this preseason is all about refining and implementing different plans for different stages.

We got caught up to much at times trying to match the fast play of the opposition when we should have been playing tempo and trying to control the game, there needs to be an ability to change gears at vital stages and being able to read the game better to get the gear shifts right, you can’t just have one speed or tempo and I hope this preseason is all about refining and implementing different plans for different stages.

The coaches have mentioned working on this throughout 2020, problem being is that it takes on-field leadership to settle the side and implement. We all love Cripps and Doc, but as far as leadership goes, they haven't exactly learned from the best.

Last edited:
We knew that Moore and McDonald were training with us but good to see Zavier Maher joining us too. A highly rated player with some great athletic traits and contested ball winning pedigree who wasn’t drafted due to a lack of exposed form. Having him train with us sounds like the ideal way to discover if he would’ve been able to demonstrate high level performance had he been able to play this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are you thoughts on taking Oscar McDonald?

Be interested to see how he goes with a fresh start.

Would be my 2nd option as a KPD cover

Im preferring that we dont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when have you been able to simply put an undrafted player on your list post draft? If so, do they have to come from those who are training with the club? I would have preferred an undrafted tall or ruckman over the three we are monitoring.

Would prefer to keep a list spot open for the midseason draft than take McDonald, especially if all our KPP's remain injury free during the preseason.

Would prefer to keep a list spot open for the midseason draft than take McDonald, especially if all our KPP's remain injury free during the preseason.
Might be able to keep injury free during pre-season, but what happens once the season starts can be totally different.

Either way we need KPD cover, and McDonald is the best we'll get. If one of Weiters or Jones go down, we have no one to take the opposition's second key forward. Levi I assume, will be covering Charlie's spot for most the season.

Might be able to keep injury free during pre-season, but what happens once the season starts can be totally different.

Either way we need KPD cover, and McDonald is the best we'll get. If one of Weiters or Jones go down, we have no one to take the opposition's second key forward. Levi I assume, will be covering Charlie's spot for most the season.
I agree in principle but if the decision is that simple why bother inviting Maher to train....there is a bit to work with there and they obviously want a closer look.

I agree in principle but if the decision is that simple why bother inviting Maher to train....there is a bit to work with there and they obviously want a closer look.
I think mainly just because of how he slid in the draft. He was originally classified as a possible top 25-30 pick, so clearly there's something there, like you mentioned the club wants to have a closer look at.

But then again, why when we have so many young mids of our own? Setters, Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, JSOS, Kennedy, Willo, Kemp, Philp, Carroll, Fogarty, Cunners, and SPS seems like plenty to me.

Should be interesting to follow, but still hope we end up taking McDonald.

Fair call.
And remember O Mac was Melbourne’s first choice key defender in 2018 during a 16-9 season.

No denying he was a disaster over the last two years, to the point where MFC sent him to full forward just to stay out the way (in a loss to Sydney) but I reckon he’s got some good footy left and is a good user of the footy.

Fair call.
And remember O Mac was Melbourne’s first choice key defender in 2018 during a 16-9 season.

No denying he was a disaster over the last two years, to the point where MFC sent him to full forward just to stay out the way (in a loss to Sydney) but I reckon he’s got some good footy left and is a good user of the footy.
May and Lever are pretty good defenders so you can see why he misses out there.
Maybe hes not thaaaat bad..

Since when have you been able to simply put an undrafted player on your list post draft? If so, do they have to come from those who are training with the club? I would have preferred an undrafted tall or ruckman over the three we are monitoring.

Why though? You're not often going to find late/rookied picked 18 year olds KPD able to do what we'd ask of McDonald and Moore.
Neither are a long term answer, but at least we're targeting the right types needs-dependent.

It's not ideal picking up others' discards but then again...we haven't picked them up yet. They're just training with us and if they show plenty.....good luck.

I think mainly just because of how he slid in the draft. He was originally classified as a possible top 25-30 pick, so clearly there's something there, like you mentioned the club wants to have a closer look at.

But then again, why when we have so many young mids of our own? Setters, Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, JSOS, Kennedy, Willo, Kemp, Philp, Carroll, Fogarty, Cunners, and SPS seems like plenty to me.

Not all of those listed will make it and you need to keep talent coming through somehow if you don’t have draft picks.

Last edited:

Mid-forward isn’t he?
Good in the contest. We’ve been big on the hybrids, perhaps a mini Petracca, start up HFF.
Perhaps he was high up on our list, so a great opportunity to see what he’s got.

If Charlie Curnow's Knee is bad enough for him to miss significant amount of 2021 and the medico's are thinking long term rehab the they could move him onto the inactive list allowing 1 more spot to be freed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back