Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I assess who won the trade by looking at the teams and who they bought into the club at what expense
Sydney - Lost nothing
Sydney gained - McDonald , Campbell,Gulden

A+
Pretty sure the Dogs lost nothing unless you include Billy Gowers

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we were losers. Not that I don't rate like the players that came in, just that for the umpteenth time the players we need haven't been available when we have a draft good hand. I don't like spending top ten picks on defenders and we did it twice. The value for us was futures trading and we failed to do that.
I rate you Avatar one of the best shows around at the moment

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You are forgetting that we traded out our first rounders for extra points in many instances. We still needed those first rounders for the points.
You have a massive advantage just accept it gracefully and move on. we know why the AFL does it but don’t pretend it doesn’t exist

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is an advantage to the northern state clubs drafting an academy kid, no doubt about it.

It is a disadvantage to the northern clubs drafting an interstate kid due to the go home factor, no doubt about it.

Swings and roundabouts.
The good old swings and roundabout!

To be used when you know something is to your advantage

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
183cm, much like Jye Caldwell, Darcy Parish, Dylan Shiel.

No thanks

Next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle Dunkley

Was Jack Carroll.

I think he kind of does play like Pendlebury, but the same comparisons were made about Harley Balic and Patrick Karnezis in their draft years (similar draft range too IIRC) and doesn't necessarily predict the players making it as AFL players.

It's part and parcel of overrating of draft prospects and Fox footy needing to fill their 3 and half hour commentary quota.

They also said he plays a bit like Josh Kelly. Have no idea if this is true though.
Could just be because he's a leftie.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Not that important now but if Essendon accepted our Joe Daniher offer at the end of 2019 then they would have McDonald now.
dodoro.jpg

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You ain’t getting Dunkley

You burnt the Dunkley family and Dad is mighty pissed off, not only could you not follow through on the promise to Josh you f...Ed Kyle over as well.

Dunkley may well be traded next year but it won’t be to the bombers
I'd take him at Tigerland in a heartbeat.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd take him at Tigerland in a heartbeat.
In all likelihood we will trade him next year as we do have a plethora of midfielders but we will expect decent value as he will still be contracted and dodo has burnt his family they won’t be putting their hands in that fire again. Andrew has a big influence on his family too much IMO but it is what it is

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You have been asked this in numerous threads but who is this supposed hulking inside clearance machine we should have taken?

You’re very quick to dig the heels In but give no alternative to our choices. Then when called out about it pretend like you’re happy for us.

So give us a name

Josh Dunkley was a half forward when we drafted him. Development plays a big part and the ability to pick players with upside

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Josh Dunkley was a half forward when we drafted him. Development plays a big part and the ability to pick players with upside

Looks like he's always been an inside midfielder as well as being handy up forward. I agree that he has developed well though.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
In all likelihood we will trade him next year as we do have a plethora of midfielders but we will expect decent value as he will still be contracted and dodo has burnt his family they won’t be putting their hands in that fire again. Andrew has a big influence on his family too much IMO but it is what it is
If his beef is more midfield time,A spot might open up with the likely retirement of Cotch.I'd give up one of our 1sts no problem.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Looks like he's always been an inside midfielder as well as being handy up forward. I agree that he has developed well though.
He was both but the point is players can be multi position and need to be developed. Caleb Daniel wasn’t a half back when recruited.

I do think the dons problem is dodo or his team seem to rely on trying to get players from other clubs rather than pick hidden gems

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If his beef is more midfield time,A spot might open up with the likely retirement of Cotch.I'd give up one of our 1sts no problem.
And a decent first will probably do it next year as he will only have 1 year left but a lot can change in a year

With 20 minute qtrs and less interchange he could well have more midfield time. Also as well as Libba played this year he does have dodgy knees so anything can happen there.

Our issue is that we have others coming through as well like Rylee West so we will definitely lose someone sometime it just unlikely to have any dodo involvement

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
None of them were for retention reasons apart from maybe Jetta.

Jones - better contract
Hannerbey - better contract (you basically pushed out the door)
Mitchell - opportunity & contract
Membrey - opportunity
Newman- I don’t think you kicked up much of a fuss.

Your salary cap issues is a major factor in players leaving from the Franklin deal. You can’t blame player retention when you have cooked your books.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nutjob - NFI
Jones -- Publicly said he wanted to get home to Victoria, get to know his nephews etc. Loved the Swans and declined a long-term contract.
Here's one article...

Plenty of others for all the other players, but I'm not doing your homework for you Nutjob.

Last edited:
Can a north fan explain to me why you didn’t go tall at pick 3?

There was always going to be mids available at pick 13, and north already have a few mids takin inside the top 15, and next years top 5 will probably be mids. You may not get a better chance to a high end tall.
I know north fans like Comben, but that’s a awful lot of faith for someone taken in 2nd rd, who hasn’t debut yet.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

There was always going to be mids available at pick 13, and north already have a few mids takin inside the top 15, and next years top 5 will probably be mids. You may not get a better chance to a high end tall.
I know north fans like Comben, but that’s a awful lot of faith for someone taken in 2nd rd, who hasn’t debut yet.
Because our midfield has been crap for 20 years. Some great individuals have been in there, but as an effective and cohesive unit; not so much.

With the new recruits, plus the youngsters of LDU, Simpkin and others we have obviously decided to concentrate there first.

In fact the polar opposite of what Essendon have done.

Will make for an interesting comparison in a few years.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

There seems to be a clear strategy of building from the midfield out and getting the best characters we can to push the group forward. That and the focus seems to be on building a team around the u26 group with a focus on 2023 and beyond.

If you look at the list profile of our u26's we only have two genuine ball winning, two way mids in LDU and Simpkin. These guys are surrounded by a host of flankers/wings/half backs in Stephenson, Thomas, Zurhaar, Taylor, Scott, Mahoney, Bonar, Perez, Hayden, Young and Walker. We are clearly crying out for contested, hard running mids and I think we addressed that with Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro. They are also real character guys too, who will help push that group forward, which doesn't reflect well on the current senior leadership around the place. It seems that the new regime have noted that there needs to be a cultural shift at the club and will have Noble work with these newbies, as well as McDonald and Simpkin to take the group where they need to go.

As to why no to McDonald, well, there is the faith in Comben. He is more your prototypical modern forward at 2 meters tall, super quick, agile and a great contested grab. For all the plaudits McDonald has received to date, he isn't going to have the advantage of playing on guys smaller than him at AFL level like he did in the WAFL. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he will be at worst a serviceable forward, but perhaps he doesn't have the tools to be a top shelf forward in the modern game where defenders will be as big, if not bigger, and as fast, if not faster than him. He ain't a super contested grab either.

So perhaps the overall strategy then is to fill the midfield with as many quality, competitive two way runners as possible and add to KPP stocks via FA or trade down the line. Or maybe Van Rooyen next year? Whatever the real rationale, as a supporter it will be nice to see an actual competitive midfield in place at some stage, rather than one or two good players and a host of makeshift options running through there.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Fair enough. Point still stands.

Don’t disagree that Sydney benefit from the academy, but let’s not entirely fool ourselves that there’s not a huge structural disadvantage. One example, we lost the best F/S we’ve ever had, who ended up at your club, due to being in a non-football state.

We lost a F/S that went pick 1 for that reason as well.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Not necessarily...imagine if Essendon picked up three Durdin like hacks....Or traded their picks or decided to pass.

I understand why this b-u-t-t hurt from Carlton fans...lol...your list manager coughed up pick 8 for a half back flanker....after brave talking. Got schooled by Dodoro.

Now some how you want to carry that b-h into Essendon's draft assessment.

I just read that trash three times to be sure.

And yes, it contains not a single word of relevance. 100% behind the shelter sheds at playtime pseudo tough guy posturing.

Congratulations. It's not as easy to do as some might assume. You should be proud.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Parish? Hulking inside mid? Lol.

Pedlar reminds me of Beau Waters.

Who said Parish is a big hulking inside mid? I want someone to compliment what we have not add to the current group of sameness

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sorry i thought you wanted a top end inside contested mid ..i must have read your comment wrong

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Perhaps the biggest ‘bull’ in this draft, Pedlar is as hard as they come. His power and scoreboard impact separate him from other strong bodied midfielders in the 2020 cohort.” – Ed Pascoe

We picked up Jye Caldwell who sounds identical to Luke, even has two years of AFL development into his body

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Kyle Dunkley

Asked this question to Dees fans and they all agreed he’s ok and that’s it. Won’t ever amount to much but he’s ok for depth. We want top end talent

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Absolutely !

People take homage to paying out on Dodoro but his drafting is actually pretty reasonable.

Obviously not great but not as bad as most want to create in there minds. The development at Essendon has been pathetic for some time and a big reason we are where we are not because Dodo didn’t take player x.

Back