Game Day AFC DRAFT DAY THREAD

How many additional 2021 picks will we end up with from draft day trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There’s no doubt Knightmare puts a lot of work into the draft each year, but didn’t this year he admit to not watching the sanfl and WAFL because he had to pay? How much can be taken from his opinion if that’s the case.

The other thing is it’s just his opinion, we could all do the same level of work and come up with differing views on players. I’d like to know if he’s had a decent track record with his player ratings in the past.
KM didn't know whether the SANFL digital pass games would be available up until draft night - and apparently didn't get answers from anyone on this. From memory, access to games through the digital pass games stopped not long after the SANFL grand final in 2019 when I had a subscription - and I wasn't aware youth games were available in that year.

In hindsight, KM could have made better use of the SANFL pass resource from the sounds of it and I think will look to do so next year.

As for WA, is there an equivalent to the SANFL digital pass?

Good points.

Knightmare ratings and thoughts in the past have been good and reliable from my perspective. I have enjoyed reading them and he has always been kind enough to post his thoughts and opinions whenever I have asked him.

Even him giving us a B+ makes for interesting discussion over summer, I mean there is literally nothing else to talk about is there now, in regards to footy.

I would be interested in his previous grades for teams, maybe even just the Crows and if that has changed retrospectively compared to today.

As examples, the drafts in which we took Danger, Talia, Lever, retrospectively we must have received A grades for these drafts?

What I like about this year's crop is Pedlar, Berry and Cook and all hit the scoreboard which has been an issue with our current midfield

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern is that all of them are described as tough, hard working, contest ball winner/wins their own ball, but I haven't seen any of their draft profiles labelled classy user, strong decision maker, raking kick, or accurate kick.

I mean, getting nothing but contested ball winners with middling foot skills at best is exactly what we did in the first half of the decade, surely we're not going down that failed path again.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes. Thats the point I was making with Knightmare

I think the fact that so many Clubs got an A, was really the main reason why I raised this issue.

As I said, its a point of discussion. No rating can really be achieved now, not for a few years, but its an interesting summer exercise to discuss.

I think we probably got marked down more for Pedlar than RT. He came from nowhere in the rankings to pick 11. While there was talk of interest from other clubs it still appeared a reach from all phantom drafts.
Phantom drafts don’t make players good or bad though

Conversely Carlton got Carroll at 41 which appeared a steal on pre draft rankings therefore get an A
North got Ford at 56 when most thought he would go a lot higher etc

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
My concern is that all of them are described as tough, hard working, contest ball winner/wins their own ball, but I haven't seen any of their draft profiles labelled classy user, strong decision maker, raking kick, or accurate kick.

I mean, getting nothing but contested ball winners with middling foot skills at best is exactly what we did in the first half of the decade, surely we're not going down that failed path again.
On the highlights Berry’s kicking action is the the one that doesn’t look great . Pedler is so so but it’s highlights so not a good indicator .

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
On the highlights Berry’s kicking action is the the one that doesn’t look great . Pedler is so so but it’s highlights so not a good indicator .
Was that on Berry's right foot or left foot...I've seen him play quite a bit for Gippy Power and one thing I can absolutely guarantee is he is dual sided.

Knightmare Thanks for your insights so far. I would however like to hear your thoughts on Hamish Ogilvie as a recruiter. He is famous on this board for being a bit unorthodox and having his "specials" (ie. bolters that other clubs seemingly don't rate).

Have you had the chance to meet him?

I can see Rankine at the crows , we need to back ourselves in and have a crack but not until 2022 trade period

Yeah, I can as well. It's seemingly a logical fit if Gold Coast start to feel the cap crunch, more so than Lukosius right now. We look like we'll be in desperate need for classy midfielders (seeing we probably have everything else at a comfortable spot at this moment), and well, the hope with Rankine is he can be that someday.

Or of course, Rankine doesn't kick on...

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, I can as well. It's seemingly a logical fit if Gold Coast start to feel the cap crunch, more so than Lukosius right now. We look like we'll be in desperate need for classy midfielders (seeing we probably have everything else at a comfortable spot at this moment), and well, the hope with Rankine is he can be that someday.

Or of course, Rankine doesn't kick on...
We should be doing the groundwork from before now for 2022 for Izak

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Knightmare Thanks for your insights so far. I would however like to hear your thoughts on Hamish Ogilvie as a recruiter. He is famous on this board for being a bit unorthodox and having his "specials" (ie. bolters that other clubs seemingly don't rate).

Have you had the chance to meet him?

I can't say I've met/had a conversation with Hamish.

On Adelaide's drafting.

Adelaide's drafting during the Rendell era in particular, and even before that I found to be incredibly strong. For a few years after Rendell I found Adelaide remained strong with 2013 that final year where the conversion of Adelaide's picks were sensational. Maybe even best in the competition great drafting for a good extended period there.

From 2014 onwards, I don't know if Adelaide's recruiting staff have reduced in size, or other clubs have grown their recruiting teams and Adelaide haven't. I don't keep track of which teams have how many staff. But during those years Adelaide haven't been a good drafting team. Gallucci first round in 2016? Jones and McHenry in the first round in 2018 when there were some much better players available? Conversion mid/late/rookie not strong barr a small few exceptions. And with the likes of Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, I didn't need hindsight to know the selections used to take them was too much.

This year is one of the better recent drafts for Adelaide though, and really the only recent draft where on draft day I'm not feeling like Adelaide have lost. Particularly strong drafting in my view outside the first round this year. So I can give Hamish and Adelaide's recruiting team that much credit this year. Cook, Berry, Rowe. All solid picks and strong choices for where they're been chosen.

On Adelaide's drafting.

Adelaide's drafting during the Rendell era in particular, and even before that I found to be incredibly strong. For a few years after Rendell I found Adelaide remained strong with 2013 that final year where the conversion of Adelaide's picks were sensational. Maybe even best in the competition great drafting for a good extended period there.

From 2014 onwards, I don't know if Adelaide's recruiting staff have reduced in size, or other clubs have grown their recruiting teams and Adelaide haven't. I don't keep track of which teams have how many staff. But during those years Adelaide haven't been a good drafting team. Gallucci first round in 2016? Jones and McHenry in the first round in 2018 when there were some much better players available? Conversion mid/late/rookie not strong barr a small few exceptions. And with the likes of Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, I didn't need hindsight to know the selections used to take them was too much.

This year is one of the better recent drafts for Adelaide though, and really the only recent draft where on draft day I'm not feeling like Adelaide have lost. Particularly strong drafting in my view outside the first round this year. So I can give Hamish and Adelaide's recruiting team that much credit this year. Cook, Berry, Rowe. All solid picks and strong choices for where they're been chosen.

Thanks for your insights.

On Adelaide's drafting.

Lets also remember too, the AFC IIRC has never had an actual lower than Pick 10 it could use in the draft, before 2019?!

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Lets also remember too, the AFC IIRC has never had an actual lower than Pick 10 it could use in the draft, before 2019?!

Rendell's record in particular for Adelaide was incredible. If you really go over those picks/players added. Taking players who win a high % contested. Nailing the KPPs picked. Conversion first round (nothing higher than 10), mid draft, late draft, rookie. They were all high floor picks. So many had AFL careers, many of them great AFL careers. And those who didn't, so many became really good state leaguers. That run is one of the very best I've seen.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
...Conversion mid/late/rookie not strong barr a small few exceptions. And with the likes of Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, I didn't need hindsight to know the selections used to take them was too much...
So, from 2014 onwards...which clubs do you think have done better with later picks since 2014?

2019 - Keays, rookie
2018 - Sholl, 64 + Hamill, 30
2017 - Murphy, rookie, McPherson, 40
2016 - Himmelberg, 51
2015 - Keath, rookie + Greenwood, rookie
2014 - O'Brien, rookie + McGovern, 43

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So, from 2014 onwards...which clubs do you think have done better with later picks since 2014?

2019 - Keays, rookie
2016 - Himmelberg, 51
wasn't Charlie Cameron a rookie pick as well?

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lowest were we finished on the ladder was pick 7 and drafted Angwin....I made that comment to Rucci that our lowest pick was 7 and boy did he quickly reply that we selected Angwin.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

2019 - Keays, rookie
2016 - Himmelberg, 51

Keath and Greenwood came in from outside the draft system as cat b rookies. In my comment, I wasn't counting them as they were three year non registered players. But they're both very good respectively and unquestionably excellent gets as cat b rookies. Probably the best combination of cat b rookies of those acquired by any club. But generally cat b rookie picks are seen as outside the normal draft process.

O'Brien was a great pick. He's one of the best youngerish ruckmen in the game. The others are shoulder shrug stuff at this stage though on a relative basis when you compare Adelaide's conversion to that of other teams.

So if we're looking at actual national draft picks, and actual rookie draft picks. Adelaide's performance though that period is among the worst.

In quickly going through some of the teams late/rookie draft. Only Carlton and Melbourne I can identify as doing distinctly worse than Adelaide for a quick feel for Adelaide's performance over that period of years.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
wasn't Charlie Cameron a rookie pick as well?

Cameron was 2013.

My comments of 2013 and early of Adelaide is excellent drafting.

The problem is after 2013 when you go through the names and compare the relative conversions and relative value. Adelaide have not enjoyed the same success.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

2019 - Keays, rookie
2016 - Himmelberg, 51
I reckon Richmond would give that a shake....

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon Richmond would give that a shake....
2018 - Aarts, rookie
2017 - Baker, rookie
2016 - Graham, 53
2015 - Broad, 67 + Chol, rookie
2014 - Menadue, 33 + Butler, 67 + Short, rookie + Castagna, rookie + Lambert, rookie
2013 - Lloyd, 66 + Miles, rookie

No better IMO, most of them have been moved on. Lambert and Short very good selections.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
2018 - Aarts, rookie
2017 - Baker, rookie
2016 - Graham, 53
2015 - Broad, 67 + Chol, rookie
2014 - Menadue, 33 + Butler, 67 + Short, rookie + Castagna, rookie + Lambert, rookie
2013 - Lloyd, 66 + Miles, rookie

No better IMO, most of them have been moved on. Lambert and Short very good selections.
You're not seriously suggesting they are no better? Baker, Graham, Broad, Butler, Short, Castagna and Lambert are all quality players, most multiple premiership players. Choi and Aarts look ok too.

Back