Delisted #41: Cian McBride ☘️ - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

41 - mcbride.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023 (Category B Rookie)
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Long term he could be something like a Blicavs type player but right now I'd settle for another Ambrose since our first one has a tendency to pick up 8 - 12 week injuries fairly often. I think there's a lot to work with. Genuinely surprised at how fast he's making inroads. Normally you'd expect he'd just be 'learning the rules' at this stage. What I'm most excited about is he's not just very quick for his height but he's also not a skinny rake and that competitiveness is easy to see. We may be lauding this selection in years to come.

It will be interesting to see what he looks like at VFL level. If he's absolutely crushing it then may get some chances at AFL level later in the year.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I like that we’ve settled him straight into defence. You look at the other Irish tall recruits and clubs get seduced by their athleticism and try them all over the ground.

parishfanclub

Team Captain
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone know what is happening with McBride right now? Is not on injury report or playing practice matches.

He played against Norf in the scratchy, didn't he?
He played all of them he's been available for (being in Ireland and quarantine etc), but wasn't playing against the Dogs and there was no explanation given for that. Bit weird.

Where is this guy? Looked solid in the practice match in what was his first competitive hit out.
Has played in a couple of the scratch matches and one for North I think.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
It is guys like this who are simply in a holding pattern for 2021. Seems to have showed enough but a couple of guys at the back end of there careers will be holding him out of a spot at AFL level. Hopefully with a regernerated VFL season, Cian can show his wares and force a debut. Would be nice to see him for eve a small handful of games and see if he can handle the intensity of the top level.

Their a pair of Spuds to be sure to be sure
Based on his 8 or so scratch matches that were closed to the public? Or how he's trained, also been closed to the public? Or are you referring to the 1 or 2 open trainings that were open to the public which would have been his first couple?

Based on his 8 or so scratch matches that were closed to the public? Or how he's trained, also been closed to the public? Or are you referring to the 1 or 2 open trainings that were open to the public which would have been his first couple?

Whoosh...

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Is this the tall one or the fast one?

McBride is a really good athlete in his own right.

Measured 197cm and 90 kgs as an 18 year old. Tested 2.99s / 20m, 6:17 / 2km and running vertical of 87cm (best result).

McQuillan, 188cm and being trialled as a defender/half back, is pure, unadulterated gas testing at 2.77s / 20m. Some guys were around that mark during the Metro testing this year but there was a tail wind that invalidates the results for the purpose of the record books.

Last edited:
Back