List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horne and Sinn would be my top two at this stage. Would love any one of them, Chesser, Rachele, Draper or Sonsie

Wish we had two top six picks, actually ahaha

there’s a couple of other players to watch for, Mayka Pawno & Phil Atio come to mind, they‘ll go high with Horne and Sinn.

I think they’re likely to lose it.
I think if geelong go to GC during the year and line up a trade, GC will talk to the VFL and negotiate to keep it. Maybe they lose some of their allowance to add NGAs directly to their list, but only if next year's crop isn't as good as this years.

Throwing it out there. If we finish bottom two or three, let Matt Crouch go off to the highest bidder (RFA)?
Gain another pick straight after our first.

I wouldn’t have thought we’d entertain it if we don’t finish that low but food for thought anyway.

Throwing it out there. If we finish bottom two or three, let Matt Crouch go off to the highest bidder (RFA)?
Gain another pick straight after our first.

I wouldn’t have thought we’d entertain it if we don’t finish that low but food for thought anyway.
You think if we trade out Crouch, we can get pick 1 and 2? How good would that be!

You think if we trade out Crouch, we can get pick 1 and 2? How good would that be!
Clearly not what I said. He would be a Restricted Free Agent. We’d get AFL compensation. He’s a better player than Brad Crouch so could command a compensation straight after first round aha.

Clearly not what I said. He would be a Restricted Free Agent. We’d get AFL compensation. He’s a better player than Brad Crouch so could command a compensation straight after first round aha.
Personally I wouldn't trad him for a pick 19 or 20.

All the signs I'm seeing are Matt is a required player, contract discussions ongoing, along with Tom Doedee assigned to rolling out the welcoming mat to our new draftees etc, member of the leadership group. We don't want to be getting rid of players that are AA quality when in form, we need to be getting rid of list cloggers and players that aren't buying in 100% to what Matthew Nicks is laying out for the future.

All the signs I'm seeing are Matt is a required player, contract discussions ongoing, along with Tom Doedee assigned to rolling out the welcoming mat to our new draftees etc, member of the leadership group. We don't want to be getting rid of players that are AA quality when in form, we need to be getting rid of list cloggers and players that aren't buying in 100% to what Matthew Nicks is laying out for the future.

Big year coming up for Matt.

The way he finished the season was promising. I wonder if Nicks had words with him as he seemed to come out with a different mindset and was more willing to get his hands dirty again.

Lots of water to go under the bridge but getting some line-breaking run and slick kickers should be the priority to round out the list.

Horne, Chesser, Murley & Dudley be a great haul if we could somehow position ourselves for them.

Murley seems to be ranked in the 15-20 range and Dudley mid to late 20's. Adds some speed and skill to the midfield/forward mix. Dudley has shown promise at either end of the ground

Assuming Horne at 1, would need a second top 8-10 pick for Chesser.

How do people feel about moving on someone like Smith or Laird to achieve this? We are in a bit of awkward place with Smith who is an Unrestricted FA, similarly Laird who is a restricted free agent. A decision needs to made to either commit to them as pieces for the next window or extract whatever value we can. Trying to angle for a trade that includes player + future pick of value would be a better outcome than copping unders on FA compo

I could see either of those guys giving a lot of value to teams like Gold Coast, Essendon, Carlton all looking to push into the 8.

For a bit of realism:
  • Shouldn't we put Matt Crouch compo in, start of 2nd round
  • We should also push all first round picks back appx 5 picks, and 2nd round picks back 10, to reflect NGA/Father Son/Vic Handouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, definitely getting the sense Matt is being groomed as a club leader

If there is a quality player that leaves for more opportunity, IMO it’s Laird, especially if another team offers him a full time midfield gig

For a bit of realism:
  • Shouldn't we put Matt Crouch compo in, start of 2nd round
  • We should also push all first round picks back appx 5 picks, and 2nd round picks back 10, to reflect NGA/Father Son/Vic Handouts.

I suspect some facetiousness in this comment but there is no NGA protection inside the first 20 next year. Only father-son. At this very early stage, Daicos (COLL) is the only FS that looks to be a top 20 lock.

I suspect some facetiousness in this comment but there is no NGA protection inside the first 20 next year. Only father-son. At this very early stage, Daicos (COLL) is the only FS that looks to be a top 20 lock.
Jase Burgoyne would be very much in that discussion on what he's shown in his under-age year.

If there is a quality player that leaves for more opportunity, IMO it’s Laird, especially if another team offers him a full time midfield gig

I agree that it doesnt look like we will let Matt walk. Especially seeing as our list is now quite young already with Tex and Mackay to come out along with Lynch, Talia and Sloane soon after that. But if we are looking like a bottom 2 finish and Matt still hasnt accepted whatever offer we put on the table by late next season then it will be a very similar situation to Brad. I personally dont think Matt will command an offer that gets us Band 1, but if that looks likely and the compo pick looks like it will be a top 3 pick then I think there is a fair chance we will let him walk.

We have just seen the precedent with Brad. Not identical, but close enough that a similar story could play out, with lessons learned.

Can't agree with Rendell there either.

Sydney was the clear winner IMO with Logan McDonald, Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, the former 2 clearly right at the pointy end talent wise and Errol Gulden arguably 1st round quality and the icing on the cake nabbing SA running back/wingman Malachy Curruthers in the rookie draft who has exceptional endurance and a very penetrating kick.

I have honestly never posted using sarcasm or facetiousness, in fact I don't even know those words.

And Matty and Elly hosting Sam Berry at their home in the run up to the Christmas Break before he will be placed with a host family etc in the new year.

It’s early days, but I’d certainly be looking to trade our 2022 first rounder and one of the 2021 second rounders to get another pick in the 6-10 range in 2021. Obviously this is dependent on another club who finishes 9th-13th in 2021 being willing to part with their first rounder in 2021, but through various circumstances, this might be possible (eg maybe they’ll have a clear top 4-5 in mind and know they’re missing out on their guy anyway, or maybe they’re just firmly in the premiership window and focusing on bringing in experience for one more year).

This 2021 draft is LOADED, and shapes as the most crucial draft in our history. Imagine pairing one of Horne or Sinn with one of Draper, Sonsie or Chesser. Anyone who hasn’t seen these guys play, do yourself a favour and find some vision.

Firstly, 2 of the above would be the perfect complement to our 2020 draft haul (in terms of player types / list balance), and secondly, we could really attack the 2022 season with positivity, a highly talented young list and genuine motivation to rise up the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back