List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised we didn't get Rowe mature aged goal kicker perfect for our needs now. Winder was still on the board when we passed our last pick. mark my words kids going to be as gem for the Eagles.

Surprised we didn't get Rowe mature aged goal kicker perfect for our needs now. Winder was still on the board when we passed our last pick. mark my words kids going to be as gem for the Eagles.
Durdin>Rowe if not immediately, within 12 months

Winder still on board, clearly means he was going to put on a turn if anyone other than Eagles took him. Then there is the facade that gave them Trew as a rookie.

Always seemed to prefer Durdin to Winder for some reason. Glad we got a good small forward.

Durdin>Rowe if not immediately, within 12 months

Winder still on board, clearly means he was going to put on a turn if anyone other than Eagles took him. Then there is the facade that gave them Trew as a rookie.
Based on a few comments made in the media it's the off field stuff for Winder that is the worry.

I think it's interesting how many more people are aware of 'gems' that have gone late in this draft when compared with how little confidence is usually held in draft picks that go later than mid second round normally. Is the prejudiced nature of this draft forcing people to look a bit more closely than they normally would and they're getting seduced, is this draft crop a deeper draft than there would be normally, or is the fact that a lot of the footage of the players in question is not at TAC/Champs level, and they're smashing it?

Draft watchers are going to be draft watchers, but there's more confidence over someone like Winder than I feel is warranted.

I think it's interesting how many more people are aware of 'gems' that have gone late in this draft when compared with how little confidence is usually held in draft picks that go later than mid second round normally. Is the prejudiced nature of this draft forcing people to look a bit more closely than they normally would and they're getting seduced, is this draft crop a deeper draft than there would be normally, or is the fact that a lot of the footage of the players in question is not at TAC/Champs level, and they're smashing it?

Draft watchers are going to be draft watchers, but there's more confidence over someone like Winder than I feel is warranted.

It's been a difficult year for draftees and those watching on.

Normally, I don't get too caught up with hype on a player, as it's more about determining the full package over a career, which in itself is difficult

Players like Winder and Ford are rare, they have a point of difference that not many kids possess, xfactor and a willingness to contribute to team ethos, chase, tackle etc.

Kids will pop out of nowhere to cement themselves as bolters, given the nature of this year, although, those types also have that point of difference

From speaking with one Talent Manager, his perspective is that clubs erred on the side of caution a little in the recent draft and looked to secure more bankable prospects rather pursuing x-factor.
This would go some way to explaining why some talented prospects were either taken late or not at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winder may play 200 games and Durdin/Carroll may play 300.

Way to early for this talk. There’s a reason he slipped, just like there’s a reason our boys slipped.

Back in Austin who has good history with these sort of picks.

Bit early to judge Austin on what he achieved with late picks at the Dogs. Only Vandermeer has shown he has the attributes and he had a lot of admirers

Bit early to judge Austin on what he achieved with late picks at the Dogs. Only Vandermeer has shown he has the attributes and he had a lot of admirers

Whilst Vandermeer was a brilliant pick (Butler will be similarly as good), I was more referencing his time at Richmond where they picked the eyes out of the later rounds and rookie drafts. Bolton, Balta, Baker, Graham, Lambert, Broad, Markov are just a few of the selections he would’ve been apart of.

One thing SOS struggled with. Could’ve been a crazy duo.

The one good thing about Eagles picking up Winder is it increases the possibility we could trade for Cameron from them end of next year. Haven’t seen much but he does have the potential of being very good if developed by Eddie. Eddie arguably did a great job with his brother (arguably as is I don’t know whom else also contributed) so the potential is there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the risk of making a presumptuous comment reminiscent of comments post the 2010 draft (where we picked up Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell, McInnes and Duigan), I feel like we're had a terrific offseason overall. Just looking at the training photos and seeing the mature bodies of Saad and Williams and even Fogarty and Parks, along with a relatively mature Durdin and a precocious Carroll, makes competition for spots so much greater, as well as the likely output of the senior team so much greater.

We're now 8th for experience (games played) in the competition despite the loss of Simmo, Kreuzer and Daisy in the past two years, while being 3rd for games played by players who are the 23rd most experienced player and onwards (depth). We're also well placed going into next year's offseason with our first two picks and a bevy of highly-rated youngsters who will likely not be in the best 22 but will still hold trade value.

I like that Austin has prioritised blokes who have good footy smarts and are highly competitive, embracing the opportunities to attack the footy or opponent. It's really time to play some attacking, victorious footy.

Sheehan said as he got drafted that he just needs to put it all together off field to be a great player (something along those lines, forgot his exact quote).
That could be anything from improving fitness, tidying his room to a crack habit. Hardy definitive evidence that clubs were scared away by that. Not many 18 year olds not named Walsh or Rowell that can’t improve their off field approach. My guess would be a flight risk.

That could be anything from improving fitness, tidying his room to a crack habit. Hardy definitive evidence that clubs were scared away by that. Not many 18 year olds not named Walsh or Rowell that can’t improve their off field approach. My guess would be a flight risk.
Yeh who knows, players who fall dramatically out of draft range will sometimes end up being great pick ups and sometimes show eventually why clubs were scared off (e.g. Balic, Stack).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back