List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
That’s got to give confidence that they knew what they wanted and got it .... obviously a lot to do with interviews

I reckon that 17 pick had a lot to with flight risk analysis. Been told Henry was really adamant he did not want to leave Victoria and made recruiters know and probably there was a similar view with Macrae plus the risk he would want to join his brother at some point. Angwin probably interviewed a lot better.

Its interesting we didn’t have Cox on the radar at all and they were actually hoping Essendon picked him and Perkins! Again maybe interviews?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I reckon that 17 pick had a lot to with flight risk analysis. Been told Henry was really adamant he did not want to leave Victoria and made recruiters know and probably there was a similar view with Macrae plus the risk he would want to join his brother at some point. Angwin probably interviewed a lot better.

Its interesting we didn’t have Cox on the radar at all and they were actually hoping Essendon picked him and Perkins! Again maybe interviews?

Yeah would have to be interviews.

The video gives me confidence that it wasn’t reactionary to what happened on the night. There was a plan and they stuck to it.
Loving the Pies 1st rounder for next year.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So if I’m interpreting the video correctly we had it ranked Reid, Bruhn, Stone, Chapman and if Adelaide picked Stone we had a deal ready with Nth Melbourne to move up and get Chapman.

Dare say that deal would have cost us 24 and 30 which ultimately netted us Collingwood’s 1st rounder.

Caruso has that same enthusiasm for Bruhn as he did for Butters....hopefully a similar result!

So based on this we’re pretty happy. The only thing that still puzzles me is the Angwin pick. Literally nobody had him that high and even in their discussions they seem a bit unsure! Hope the kid can play!

and what I also picked up was as McCartney was about to get on the phone to make the collingwood deal (in what, the mid 20’s?) you can hear Caruso saying “the only two left on our board are Fleeton and Wehr” - so they had them a long way out.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, definitely some interesting info there, although a couple of things confusing.

They talked about having 4 early targets, and mentioned in order Bruhn, Stone, Chapman ... but not the fourth. They then talked about if Laurie was selected they would pull the trigger on the Collingwood deal - which is what happened. But Laurie was available at our third pick (because Chapman was off the board early) ... so why didn't we select him not Angwin, and where did Angwin come from? Nevertheless, they seemed happy with his selection.

And, yes, they had Fleeton and Wehr in the sights from a long way out, so obviously rated them as decent at leter selections.

Now we can only cross fingers that they all come on.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Yes, definitely some interesting info there, although a couple of things confusing.

They talked about having 4 early targets, and mentioned in order Bruhn, Stone, Chapman ... but not the fourth. They then talked about if Laurie was selected they would pull the trigger on the Collingwood deal - which is what happened. But Laurie was available at our third pick (because Chapman was off the board early) ... so why didn't we select him not Angwin, and where did Angwin come from? Nevertheless, they seemed happy with his selection.

And, yes, they had Fleeton and Wehr in the sights from a long way out, so obviously rated them as decent at leter selections.

Now we can only cross fingers that they all come on.

I kind of thought the order was Bruhn Stone Chapman Angwin Laurie

somebody said chapman and stone and Caruso said we’ll pick stone (makes me think that if Chapman was still there we’d pick him over angwin) then it was confirmed Stone at 15 and Angwin at 17 - no mention of chapman and i’m not sure if that was before chapman had gone or not because just after that we picked Bruhn.

of course it could all be selective editing and lots of different scenarios could have been discussed and then they pick the bits that run the narrative that happened.

then it was very definitely - if they pick Laurie we make the call meaning he was on our board and once he was gone that was it - wait for fleeton and wehr.

This is like one of those puzzles where "Mr K lives next to the person with the dog. The person with the hippopotamus is sleeping with Mrs C. Ms J has too much fire insurance." and you need to work out who lives in the green house. :D

My take aways, similar to the rest of you:
  1. There might have been players in the top five we really wanted but had no expectation of getting.
  2. After that we had four we wanted at our next three picks. Cox and Perkins were definitely not part of that four.
  3. Bruhn was in that four and our first preference.
  4. Stone and Chapman were in that four, rated similar, with Stone ahead.
  5. I don't think Angwin was the fourth player. The team were willing to trade up to get Chapman if Stone was taken. You don't pay a premium to do that to take one of a few options you rate similarly, you do that because there's one player remaining who you rate above the rest.
  6. Given the reactions to the other picks being shown (Pedlar, for example), I think Reid was probably the fourth player given the similarities with Chapman and our needs. I think Quayle's comment on Essendon's picks was left in because it's an offhand comment in which she nailed their three picks.
  7. Laurie was the last player in the tier we were targeting with pick 23. There may have been others taken before then, including Angwin. Once he was taken, we bid on McInnes and traded out.
  8. Once Laurie was gone it sounded like all they wanted was Fleeton and Wehr though there might have been editing in there. It's possible and not unexpected, given where our picks lay, that we had "players for top 25 picks" (of which Laurie was the last) and "last pick or two" (of which we only had Fleeton and Wehr), which fits the comments.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I dunno the video looks too perfect to me. Think it was done after the draft especially with all the Tanner is so happy stuff to downplay the negative talk from the live shots. I think it's fake news.
It's certainly selectively edited, but I can't see any club going to that level of effort to recreate the perfect video

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, I think dlanod's on the money. I rewatched the video this morning, and figured Zach Reid (though unsaid) was our 'fourth player' (call it the ''first round list desires''), despite expecting him to be gone by our first. They were hopefully that at least 3 were left by the start of our pick run ... with Bruhn our highest desire ... Stone definitely ahead of Chapman in our order of desires ... and Angwin and Laurie were obviously backups on our desired list.

My take aways, similar to the rest of you:
  1. There might have been players in the top five we really wanted but had no expectation of getting.
  2. After that we had four we wanted at our next three picks. Cox and Perkins were definitely not part of that four.
  3. Bruhn was in that four and our first preference.
  4. Stone and Chapman were in that four, rated similar, with Stone ahead.
  5. I don't think Angwin was the fourth player. The team were willing to trade up to get Chapman if Stone was taken. You don't pay a premium to do that to take one of a few options you rate similarly, you do that because there's one player remaining who you rate above the rest.
  6. Given the reactions to the other picks being shown (Pedlar, for example), I think Reid was probably the fourth player given the similarities with Chapman and our needs. I think Quayle's comment on Essendon's picks was left in because it's an offhand comment in which she nailed their three picks.
  7. Laurie was the last player in the tier we were targeting with pick 23. There may have been others taken before then, including Angwin. Once he was taken, we bid on McInnes and traded out.
  8. Once Laurie was gone it sounded like all they wanted was Fleeton and Wehr though there might have been editing in there. It's possible and not unexpected, given where our picks lay, that we had "players for top 25 picks" (of which Laurie was the last) and "last pick or two" (of which we only had Fleeton and Wehr), which fits the comments.

Similarly to PMBangers, there's selective editing to show the team in best light, but no way this would be a complete recreation. They showed a quick vision of Tanner's blank reaction to his selection - they would not have included that (IMHO) if they recreated the night to show how happy Tanner was with the selection. The whole Tanner thing is a bit of a (standard anti-GWS) VFL media beat-up.

P.S. I see the recruiting team is wearing the new Puma gear.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
What I did like about the draft haul, forced upon us by our pick numbers, was the acknowledgement that squad players are needed as much as the high pick stars. We didn't trade our way up to the top of the board losing currency to get there, coz Calwell and Hately showed that loss of currency was only compounded when high draft picks skip off early.
Next thing is, let existing squad had first dibs on Dylan Shiel's 5, Scully's 9, even Jezza's 18 if that's up for grabs. Treat new boys as cavalry, not incoming lieutenants, coz' it raises expectations of playing time that won't be met.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Are there any decent academy kids coming through in next years crop?
GWS Academy had two 2020 AFL Academy members eligible for the 2021 draft - Josh Fahey & Sam Stening. Unfortunately Fahey's family moved to the Gold Coast this year, so he played for their academy and is unavailable to both academies.

So that leaves Sam Stening: a shortish tall forward (192 cm at last measurement) who made the AFL Academy Squad & was the only NSW/ACT player in last year's U16 AA squad at half forward. Might be a straight swap with Sproule next year?

The other possible might be Kai Watts, a midfielder who did fairly well in the U16 comp last year; possibly hasn't gone on with it but that's really hard to tell in 2020, so will be interesting to see where he is next year.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
GWS Academy had two 2020 AFL Academy members eligible for the 2021 draft - Josh Fahey & Sam Stening. Unfortunately Fahey's family moved to the Gold Coast this year, so he played for their academy and is unavailable to both academies.

So that leaves Sam Stening: a shortish tall forward (192 cm at last measurement) who made the AFL Academy Squad & was the only NSW/ACT player in last year's U16 AA squad at half forward. Might be a straight swap with Sproule next year?

The other possible might be Kai Watts, a midfielder who did fairly well in the U16 comp last year; possibly hasn't gone on with it but that's really hard to tell in 2020, so will be interesting to see where he is next year.
Watts was probably best on for us in the U17s academy games in June/July time, and only behind Green in the one he played with the 18s the week prior. One of those sort of nugget short mids you see in local footy so definitely keen to see how he progresses next year

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Watts was probably best on for us in the U17s academy games in June/July time, and only behind Green in the one he played with the 18s the week prior. One of those sort of nugget short mids you see in local footy so definitely keen to see how he progresses next year
What are your thoughts on Stening? Like Sproule, seems a little of the ''in between'' height?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
What are your thoughts on Stening? Like Sproule, seems a little of the ''in between'' height?
My only exposure is those academy games and he didn't do anything if note tbh. Made efforts and leads but the weather wasn't for talls unfortunately. I'd say both are closer to rookie than ND if it happened now so at least they'll be hidden if we do rate them

Back