Delisted #22: Irving Mosquito - Parts ways with the club, unable to return from injury - 13/8

22 - Irving Mosquito.jpg

Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Round 16, 2020 (injured)
Injury Status: Has taken indefinite leave - 11/5
Ruptured ACL confirmed - 7/9
Serious-looking knee injury against Geelong - 6/9

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
One of the questions at the AGM last night was about whether he had re-signed or not. Dodoro confirmed that he had but didn't state the contract length.

Which is probably why they've told the journos the details because it seems to have been an oversight not to announce it like 3 weeks ago.
Im just thankful it is 2 years. Takes the pressure off his ACL recovery and he should be right to go R1 2022.

Im just thankful it is 2 years. Takes the pressure off his ACL recovery and he should be right to go R1 2022.
I kind of assumed it would be two years, as his ACL recovery will take him through to September next year – he won't play at all. So literally the only thing you'd be judging an extension on would be his skin folds at the end of the year and whether the list sizes come down again, which seems kind of harsh.

It certainly wouldn't be three as when you look at the contracts at the club there are stuff all players contracted beyond 2022. It wouldn't make sense to give a young kid with an ACL injury a longer contract than McGrath, Langford, Stewart.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I kind of assumed it would be two years, as his ACL recovery will take him through to September next year – he won't play at all. So literally the only thing you'd be judging an extension on would be his skin folds at the end of the year and whether the list sizes come down again, which seems kind of harsh.

It certainly wouldn't be three as when you look at the contracts at the club there are stuff all players contracted beyond 2022. It wouldn't make sense to give a young kid with an ACL injury a longer contract than McGrath, Langford, Stewart.
I wouldnt be surprised if the plan is for him to be moved to the rookie list at the end of next year as well.

Clarke and Gleeson will be OOC so we will have the spots, helps with list spots getting cut

I wouldnt be surprised if the plan is for him to be moved to the rookie list at the end of next year as well.

Clarke and Gleeson will be OOC so we will have the spots, helps with list spots getting cut
It's possible I suppose. He'll probably be on the inactive list this year anyway. Just a question of whether anyone is likely to want to steal him from us – his manager could leverage that if there was interest.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
It's possible I suppose. He'll probably be on the inactive list this year anyway. Just a question of whether anyone is likely to want to steal him from us – his manager could leverage that if there was interest.
I thought they can just move players to the rookie list nowadays? Or is that just for this year.

I thought they can just move players to the rookie list nowadays? Or is that just for this year.
That was just this year. In order to rookie list a player they have to be delisted first, at which point they'd theoretically be a DFA and can go wherever they want as a senior listed player, or else be traded.

So in essence, we can only really rookie list a player who either doesn't have any intention of playing elsewhere (loyal to a fault), or a player that no other club would offer more than a rookie contract to anyway, in which case there is no real reason for them or their manager to entertain other clubs (or do a medical/interview with them). Clubs don't draft each other's re-rookies anyway.

1 year and this

Dodo said:
We look forward to seeing him return from his injury setback and continue developing under the guidance of ‘Truck’ (Ben Rutten) when he can eventually take to the field again next season
no pressure on the kid...

He came in less than satisfactory condition last year also did he not?
Ah, yup. I thought you meant he’d had a wake up call before :drunk:

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree with giving him 1 year. Keeps him on his toes to make sure he attacks his rehab and starts to treat his body like a professional footballer. I’m sure if he goes about it the right way he’ll get an extra year.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Saw some footage of Mozzie recently, he’s in awful physical condition. Doubt we’ll see him this year but hope he has a long hard 12 months and is ready to go in 2022!

Back