Roast Which home and away game still burns?

-We lost to Brisbane by a point in 2014 in what ultimately cost us top 4. Was filthy that night.

-Brads made Gibson sub in 2013 against Carlton when he was in arguably career best form. As soon as he was subbed on we came hard but fell short.

-Collingwood in 2015 after leading at 36 points at half time. Brad with a crooked
back said this game changed him for the better

-* in 2019 twice, in 2018 and round 1 2012 and 2014

-Freo round 1, 2019 and the Nhyus match

-Geelong round 21, 2019. Yuck

-Hawthorn in 2019 and 2020. Ugly losses symbolic of our shitmen list

-Any game at Docklands against Sydney since 2008

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
I haven’t, Matt Rendell kicked 7 that day and every time he’s opened his trap over the past few weeks it’s reminded me.

Round 1 the following year against Carlton we got flogged by 137 points and then in ‘85 against * at Windy Hill we were 104 points behind at half time.

Fox Footy constantly replaying the Round 22 1987 match against Carlton isn’t particularly helpful either.

Rendell Kicked 8

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We were such a shitcampaigner side under Brad.
I hate everything about his tenure.

giphy(2).gif

jaspers_barber

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surprised at the lack of hate for the Hawthorn game when they bashed up swallow and goldy.

Barnes to Tudor and you know the rest

Scott Selwood 🦆 🦆 🦆

Etihad sent me a bill for two new seats after H-Macs kick sailed wide

Benchgate

Carlton by a point (2014?) Kruezer pantsed us

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
MODS how come the OP hasn't been carded for this horrific thread?

Roofgate one of the worst for me.

Also the Collingwood one at the G where it was pissing with rain, we were 6 goals up and blew it. Gibbo OOF twice, poor bloody Robbie Nahas trying to fire up our "senior" players, many of whom looked shellshocked or couldn't GAF.

* this thread.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I haven’t, Matt Rendell kicked 7 that day and every time he’s opened his trap over the past few weeks it’s reminded me.

Round 1 the following year against Carlton we got flogged by 137 points and then in ‘85 against * at Windy Hill we were 104 points behind at half time.

Fox Footy constantly replaying the Round 22 1987 match against Carlton isn’t particularly helpful either.

Hmmmm... Rd 22 1987....the horror.

Rd 1 1984 wasn’t too flash either. Another one late in 1988 at Princes Park too.

Geez, I’d forgotten about that game we were 100 down at HT.

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Geez, I’d forgotten about that game we were 100 down at HT.
It was match of the day, I remember it well because that was like Christmas to me living in Sydney

There was a Davis Cup tie on that weekend so we actually missed seeing the first half - they would intermittently show the scores though to my absolute horror....

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmmm... Rd 22 1987....the horror
First North game I ever went to. Cried all the way back to my Carlton-supporting Aunt's house in Ballarat.
Round 1 vs WCE in Perth, whatever year that was, Jack Darling's debut. Remember the teams came out to the middle and I was like where the *'s Goldstein? Think he'd come down crook. Petrie already out with a busted foot, so Pedo in the frigging ruck. Dodgy free kick did us in from memory, but to be fair we'd had the rub of the green for three quarters. Doubt that stopped scottywiper firing up though!
The NicNat game, my five year old all weekend going "Nic Natanui!" at me, even though he goes for the dockers.
Was also at the round 22 port Adelaide debacle of 08. Only game I've left early because my mate Sandy (RIP) said at 3/4 time "If port kick the first I've had enough of this s**t, we're going to the ******* bottle shop"

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Most of mine have been mentioned already but to add a couple more.

Round 21, 1991 against Fitzroy at Princes Park. Were in the 6 almost all year, were only the second side to beat the Eagle a couple of weeks earlier but had to win at least one of our last three games to play finals with tough games against Geelong and the Crows away in the fortnight after this. The Lions had only won 1 game for the year to this point so this was a gimme. Lost by a point 148-147 with John Ironmonger mauling us. The Cats and Crows smashed us. Missed the finals.

Round 19, 2003. Similarly, a must win game for any finals chance against a good Dockers side who'd never beaten us in Melbourne. Led at every change. Still held the lead with under 2mins to go. Scores level with 10secs left. Lost by a point. Miss the finals.

As for thrashings - Brad Scott's first game in Melbourne in 2010. We were eight goals down against the Saints at 1/4 time without having had an inside-50. At one point early in the second quarter the score was 61-0.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North v Freo, 2012 @ etihad.

Had we won, we would have avoided playing WCE, over there, in the first final.

It was the most disgraceful umpiring, I've nearly ever seen.

Lindsay Thomas had a free kick paid against him, on ******** McPhee, that had the crowd ready to jump the fence. I s**t you not. It's on youtube, I think.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
During the 1993 season, NMFC played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen, so the fact that we are nothing more than a footnote to the baby bombers has left me a little more than annoyed. So for me, Round 22 1993 v Footscray will always be a game that burns. A win and we finish the regular season on top, but a terrible second quarter killed us, we fought back well, but ended up losing by 2 goals after being 8 goals behind at halftime.

The extra nail in our season 1993 coffin was the injury to Longmire late in the fourth.

First game I thought of.

Flag was really up for grabs that year and we accounted for Essendon and Carlton in the home and away.

Essendon and Carlton drew earlier in the year, with Kernahan I think blowing a shot to win it.

We blew this game, Carlton won by point in Rd22. We finished 3rd and exited badly the next week when the season promised so much.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First game I thought of.

Flag was really up for grabs that year and we accounted for Essendon and Carlton in the home and away.

Essendon and Carlton drew earlier in the year, with Kernahan I think blowing a shot to win it.

We blew this game, Carlton won by point in Rd22. We finished 3rd and exited badly the next week when the season promised so much.

Still think our Gabba game late in the season where about 4 or 5 blokes got injured was the death knell that season. We went into that elim. final with a side not resembling what we had used during the H & A.

Edit; We had Greg Eppelstun named as an emergency !

Last edited:

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh man, this thread is for tough reading.

A lot of the games mentioned already really hurt still.

One I remember was at the Gabba (2004?) last round of the season and it was Stevo’s last game and we got absolutely belted. Result wasn’t necessarily a surprise just a horrible way to send a club champ out.

That Gold Coast game in 13 I think we were cruising first quarter, I remember LT in the goal square right in front of me trying to kick the leather of it and missing, killed all our momentum and we ended up getting pantsed by G. Ablett. Was a wet walk to the car and back up the highway.

Another was 2019 with the Thompson “free kick” against the Brions. We played brilliantly and got absolutely rorted with that and then for it to come out and say they got it wrong. Horrible.

Thank the gods of footy that us Brissy based fans have seen some highlights b/c for the love of a top ten draft pick we have borne witness to some football dross and game changing umpire decisions that robbed us blind.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Even worse for me, living in the country at the time, I had to listen on the radio. And the pillock calling the game kept calling Ironmonger "Longmire". Hopes raised and dashed a dozen times. 😡
Of all the blokes to tear you apart, freaking John Ironmonger. Unbelievable. Remember where I was that day, at a Wafl game and was gutted to hear we'd lost

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Misery loves company.

1994 Preliminary Final vs Geelong

Doesn't get much worse. Pillaged by the umpires, kicked inaccurately and extinguished after the siren. My 2nd game after the exhilaration of the extra time win over Hawthorn.

2000 Preliminary Final vs Melbourne

Did I ever mention I hate Melbourne? Just a s**t night, watching us go down in flames in what was the insipid full stop on a fantastic era. It's sacrilege but I wanted the cheats to disembowel the godees the next week which thankfully they did.

2003 Late Season vs Freo

What a cracker of a couple of days. Setup for finals but the new era of ineptitude (which continues to this day) had arrived as we pissed it up on the MCG. To cap it off I lost my job the next day. Joy.

2005 Elimination Final vs Port

Was to set sail overseas the next day and was torn over whether I'd be willing to fly back a few weeks in for our grand final appearance. I needn't have worried. Lance Piccioane looked like a human plough but he didn't play like one as Port began their long run of payback for the torrid first few years we put them through.

2008 Round 22 vs Port

I mean, almost perched up in the top 4 with a home ground advantage vs a interstate team well out of contention. What could go wrong?

2012 H&A vs Port

Doing a Litchfield day trip, coach stops at a pub. Last quarter, we're about 5 goals up. Nice might get a drink and meal. Get back to the outside tellie after ordering and look up. WTF?

2013 Entire Season

The best North team of the 2008-2020 period except for during the last 120 seconds of every game.

2015 H&A vs Collingwood

I mean how many big lead surrenders did we need to finally work out the coach couldn't or didn't want to fix them?

2016 H&A vs Geelong

I know we had injuries but that was a miserable night. Sat in the bleachers surrounded by cats inbreds watching us poetically start to burn our top of the ladder 9 win head start on the league into an eventual near miss to even make finals. What a shite, shite season.

2018 Entire Season

We were ok. Nobody rated us. We started playing, actual, like good footy. Attacking but tightly defensive too. Then people rated us. We duly dropped our bundle. Then the club talked up the season afterwards like they were basking in the warm afterglow of a premiership. Was the uncomfortable calm before 2 years of storm.

Just realised I put finals in a H&A thread. Whatever.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Misery loves company.

1994 Preliminary Final vs Geelong

Doesn't get much worse. Pillaged by the umpires, kicked inaccurately and extinguished after the siren. My 2nd game after the exhilaration of the extra time win over Hawthorn.

2000 Preliminary Final vs Melbourne

Did I ever mention I hate Melbourne? Just a sh*t night, watching us go down in flames in what was the insipid full stop on a fantastic era. It's sacrilege but I wanted the cheats to disembowel the godees the next week which thankfully they did.

2003 Late Season vs Freo

What a cracker of a couple of days. Setup for finals but the new era of ineptitude (which continues to this day) had arrived as we pissed it up on the MCG. To cap it off I lost my job the next day. Joy.

2005 Elimination Final vs Port

Was to set sail overseas the next day and was torn over whether I'd be willing to fly back a few weeks in for our grand final appearance. I needn't have worried. Lance Piccioane looked like a human plough but he didn't play like one as Port began their long run of payback for the torrid first few years we put them through.

2008 Round 22 vs Port

I mean, almost perched up in the top 4 with a home ground advantage vs a interstate team well out of contention. What could go wrong?

2012 H&A vs Port

Doing a Litchfield day trip, coach stops at a pub. Last quarter, we're about 5 goals up. Nice might get a drink and meal. Get back to the outside tellie after ordering and look up. WTF?

2013 Entire Season

The best North team of the 2008-2020 period except for during the last 120 seconds of every game.

2015 H&A vs Collingwood

I mean how many big lead surrenders did we need to finally work out the coach couldn't or didn't want to fix them?

2016 H&A vs Geelong

I know we had injuries but that was a miserable night. Sat in the bleachers surrounded by cats inbreds watching us poetically start to burn our top of the ladder 9 win head start on the league into an eventual near miss to even make finals. What a sh*te, sh*te season.

2018 Entire Season

We were ok. Nobody rated us. We started playing, actual, like good footy. Attacking but tightly defensive too. Then people rated us. We duly dropped our bundle. Then the club talked up the season afterwards like they were basking in the warm afterglow of a premiership. Was the uncomfortable calm before 2 years of storm.

Just realised I put finals in a H&A thread. Whatever.

Thank's, thanks alot.

Mods, a ban ?

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 13 2016. We are sitting on top of the ladder with a 10-2 record. Coming off a disappointing performance against fellow Premiership contenders Geelong the week prior, North has a great opportunity under the Friday Night Lights to pick apart the flaky reigning premiers Hawthorn. Despite battering the Hawks both in the contest and all major stats, our inaccuracy cost us what would have been a morale boosting victory. The Final Score 11.18 (84) to 14.9 (93) is something which still frustrates me to this very day. I can't for certain say that our fortunes would have most definitely changed had we won, however this to me was the beginning of the end of what seemed to have been a dream run in 2016.
Hawthorn fans sitting in our members area. Very close to a large brawl after the siren in this one around Aisle-32 Ground Level...there was a bit going on all game.

North v Freo, 2012 @ etihad.

Had we won, we would have avoided playing WCE, over there, in the first final.

It was the most disgraceful umpiring, I've nearly ever seen.

Lindsay Thomas had a free kick paid against him, on ******** McPhee, that had the crowd ready to jump the fence. I sh*t you not. It's on youtube, I think.

The whole game is indeed on Youtube

You can see Freo play their most incredible white-hot last quarter of footy maybe ever. This is a pretty cool summation that reads like we genuinely just got up and left 10 minutes into the last

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.36.34 pm.png

The highlights have it all. Lachie playing as a deep forward, Zac Clarke taking hangers leading Spud to the ball, Loose turning it over coming out of D50, Bastinac kicking a goal then running off looking like someone's shot his dog, and Brad sooking in the box for reasons unspecified

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ah yes, that disastrous Freo game in 2012.

That game we never really looked alive. We were cooked running our legs off offensively. Even after two crumbing goals from Boomer and LT respectively, we looked so disinterested. Dreary Sunday match that had a mediocre performance. Followed by a mediocre win against GWS.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole game is indeed on Youtube

You can see Freo play their most incredible white-hot last quarter of footy maybe ever. This is a pretty cool summation that reads like we genuinely just got up and left 10 minutes into the last

View attachment 1029462

The highlights have it all. Lachie playing as a deep forward, Zac Clarke taking hangers leading Spud to the ball, Loose turning it over coming out of D50, Bastinac kicking a goal then running off looking like someone's shot his dog, and Brad sooking in the box for reasons unspecified

And as per usual, dicked by smalls (no euphemism).

Back