Opinion Who is playing for their career in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure Zakka - along with Hooker & Phillips are all out of contract and will retire at the end of 2021 so not sure you could say they are really playing for their careers - more like veterans helping the team and younger players where they can in their final year
I think Patrick Ambrose though is possibly playing for his career - he'll be 30 & out of contract at the end of 2021 - one more significant injury and its hard to see him getting offered a new contract...

I'm pretty sure Zakka - along with Hooker & Phillips are all out of contract and will retire at the end of 2021 so not sure you could say they are really playing for their careers - more like veterans helping the team and younger players where they can in their final year
I think Patrick Ambrose though is possibly playing for his career - he'll be 30 & out of contract at the end of 2021 - one more significant injury and its hard to see him getting offered a new contract...

Zaharakis is only 1 year older than Ambrose, and the same age as Hurley. I'm sure in a perfect world he'd like to play for another couple of years, but it might depend on how he goes this year. Personally I hope he does retire though as I think he's been skating along for a while in first gear.

- Phillips
- BZT
- Ham (shouldn't be on this list imo but has a one-year deal)
- Francis (as in playing for his career at Ess)
- Hooker
- Zaharakis
- Smith (playing for his career at Ess, hopefully)
- Clarke
- Moz (probably safe but we don't know the exact context for the one-year deal)
- Laverde
- Johnson
- Gleeson
- Ambrose
- Cutler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zaharakis is only 1 year older than Ambrose, and the same age as Hurley. I'm sure in a perfect world he'd like to play for another couple of years, but it might depend on how he goes this year. Personally I hope he does retire though as I think he's been skating along for a while in first gear.
This year is a contract year for many of them, they'll surely pull out all the stops.

This year is a contract year for many of them, they'll surely pull out all the stops.

I'll have mixed feelings if Zaharakis plays really well this year. On one hand I'll be happy to see more commitment from him on the field, but on the other I'll be wondering where that commitment has been the last few years.

I'll have mixed feelings if Zaharakis plays really well this year. On one hand I'll be happy to see more commitment from him on the field, but on the other I'll be wondering where that commitment has been the last few years.

I actually think Zaharakis is generally ok, he’s been asked to change roles and work on things and he has tried. It’s meant we’ve all looked and thought he’s been a bit s**t, but he did start to show a return to form in a role that suited him better before he got injured.

Has Mozzie just been given a year? Youd think there isnt much point in that your not going to see him play

He showed plenty when he did play as a small fwd

Surely it should be delisted this year or two years. Give him a year back after his knee i suppose you can only see how he applies himself to rehab

Hurley/Ambrose/BZT* (Likely only one max would go maybe two)
Hooker* (Pushed to retire)
Zacka* (Pushed to retire)
L.Johnson*
Laverde*
D.Clarke
Gleeson (However id be happy to have more mature guys as rookies with list cuts)
Ham*
Cutler*

* Im pretty happy with 7 playing for their AFL career from primary list.

Have i missed something that Zaharkis has done so amazing in the last 24 months? and am i mis reading a trend i see with his career

Look i was the first bloke to rate him after a really good front half of the year that saw him leading the B+F but that is a long time ago now

The eye test doesnt fail.... Or ive gone blind

He seems to have alot of supporters for a guy turning 31 in 60 days time

Im not sure what his output will be as a 32yr old? Wouldnt think much

Last year jumped or pushed

Have i missed something that Zaharkis has done so amazing in the last 24 months? and am i mis reading a trend i see with his career

Look i was the first bloke to rate him after a really good front half of the year that saw him leading the B+F but that is a long time ago now

The eye test doesnt fail.... Or ive gone blind

He seems to have alot of supporters for a guy turning 31 in 60 days time

Im not sure what his output will be as a 32yr old? Wouldnt think much

Last year jumped or pushed

Physically I think he’d be able to go around again, and he did start to show some decent form in the last couple of weeks before he got injured.

I think he’s been one getting pushed in to different roles to accommodate others, so probably a bit hard done by in terms of criticism from supporters.

That said, I think he should retire at the end of 2021 with a bit in the tank.

Physically I think he’d be able to go around again, and he did start to show some decent form in the last couple of weeks before he got injured.

I think he’s been one getting pushed in to different roles to accommodate others, so probably a bit hard done by in terms of criticism from supporters.

That said, I think he should retire at the end of 2021 with a bit in the tank.
I think its more so hes been gone past. His form on the wing became quite poor and across half forward was even worse. He relied on very poor oppostion to have any impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back