Toast Which home and away game still soothes the soul?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha. Brilliant thread.

The classics blur a bit for me but of recent years...
Carlton game where LT ascended to a higher tier of existence is up there for me as far as pure magical football and I usually enjoy watching our obliteration of Adelaide in Tasmania. It's everything for the latter: us on the foot of the ladder, Adelaide absolutely flying and then they just run into an absolute steam roller. It's not hurt by the fact that a pulled off a ridiculous North by 40+ bet as well as a 5 way multi - all of which were massive outsiders that weekend. I think I pocketed around $2.5-3k all up in a day of fun.
The Boomer running goal was all time in that game. Big roar when it sailed through and iced the game

Three best games I’ve seen live

beating port in Adelaide after the Carey drama

Nathan Thompson fle v the pies

2018 v hawthorn at Etihad where we demolished them in the first

Round 3 2005 vs St Kilda

Shagga goes crazy in the last seven minutes with 3 goals and after being 17 points down with that long to go we get up. Was a huge win

Phwooar. I tell you what, we've had some great players over the journey but that 12-18 months from Grant was off the charts -close to the best compressed period of matchwinning football I've seen. He just kept winning games for us.

Phwooar. I tell you what, we've had some great players over the journey but that 12-18 months from Grant was off the charts -close to the best compressed period of matchwinning football I've seen. He just kept winning games for us.
From memory he won us 3 straight games off his own boot! That last quarter against the Saints he was amazing.

Some of the 1993 games already mentioned in this thread showed what we were really capable of and announced we were going to be a force for years to come.

And last year, the games against Richmond and Collingwood showed we were correct in moving on from the Scott era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 15 1993 V Essendon.

Longmire and McAdam kicked 6 and Carey Kicked 4. Schwass, Stevens and Rock were top possession winners with 29, 24 and 23 respectively.

The final quarter is perhaps the best quarter of football I've seen, we started 10pts behind and kicked 8.8 to a goal to win by 38. Carey was unbelievable in the fourth, Longmire and Roberts weren't that far behind. The umpires did everything they could to keep the game close, but the when the dam burst Essendon had no answer and looked totally second rate.

Best quarter of footy ever.

Can't forget the game against the Hawks in 2014. Basically embarrassed the week prior, club needed to respond and we go out and give a helluva message to the rest of the comp. Petrie demolishing Lake since forever.

What could've been that year if we continued that top 4 form.
I remember that game and was thinking we were gonna be a top four team for years. I guess we were in terms of end of season performances for a couple and 2016 could have been as well without losing Higgo, W80, Lmac and BJ. First time I'd felt that way since the 90s fwiw.

The first two games in 2020 were great. the first one cos we needed a game and not seeing one before the lockdown would have sucked. the second for similar reasons after lockdown.

That hawks one in 2014 and the Port game in 1999 where the lead changed repeatedly in the last quarter as well.

Round 15 1993 V Essendon.

Longmire and McAdam kicked 6 and Carey Kicked 4. Schwass, Stevens and Rock were top possession winners with 29, 24 and 23 respectively.

The final quarter is perhaps the best quarter of football I've seen, we started 10pts behind and kicked 8.8 to a goal to win by 38. Carey was unbelievable in the fourth, Longmire and Roberts weren't that far behind. The umpires did everything they could to keep the game close, but the when the dam burst Essendon had no answer and looked totally second rate.

This was awesome to watch again. Thanks for posting, Devo.

Love seeing the snippets of Matty Larkin. It's amazing, that was his last season, yet those short, squat legs of his that totally weren't built for endurance running - particularly not at the tail end of his career - would somehow still manage to carry him to almost every stoppage. Bloke played some seriously lion-hearted footy. Super skillful with a great footy brain, too. You see in those clips - consistently winning the ball in close and then using it creatively to feed guys in the best position to be able to go on the attack. It was a joy to watch him play the game, and he remains my fave North player of all time.

EDIT: Loved seeing McAdam cut loose, too. Bloke was beyond a freak.

Last edited:
It is way back to 1976, and i was behind the goals at the other end, but i was there, and every time i see this goal, the hair on the back of my neck rises every time

The footy would've appeared like a missile arriving from your spot mutts. I was in the outer behind that Craven Mild sign between HF and the wing.

It is way back to 1976, and i was behind the goals at the other end, but i was there, and every time i see this goal, the hair on the back of my neck rises every time

Was there, on the wing - what a moment. I love watching all the trainers jumping up and down. Wouldn't be allowed on the ground these days. People often forget he kicked 3 goals, all rippers, in the last 8 minutes. One of the greatest examples of winning a game of your own boot I have ever seen.

On the wing with my Blews mate from school 👍 Best thing ? He caught the Arden st. bus out to Waverly with me for the prelim ! 🤣

Hadn't seen him for 36 years and found him in Broome last year. Still mates.

Need a thread to be the antithesis of Leo's (still very valid) burn thread.

I'll start.

Round 1 1998, probably the meat in the sandwich of two very burning seasons. Good start to the year after the way 1997 ended. Simmo with an errant snap beautifully sheparded by Pikey in the the last couple of minutes.

Same year ironically (can't remember how this season ended...) but a couple of huge plays in round 22 to get us over the line and get top spot.

That’s proper football. The game today is a shadow of its former self. Brilliant

Corey Jones sinking the swans from the pocket
Stevo bangin' one in from the arc at the G to beat the bears
That night at the G when the very great G Archer crashed through 2 blokes from the guts and went bang against stinky old collingwoood
The day big Drewy went bang bang bang bang bang bang and bang against footscray
The game at the dome when that sniveling B. Johnson gave it to whoever at half time before we rolled them - w@nker
Last year beating richmond
Was it Archers' 200th when Stevo wasn't ever gonna be right to play and he did, over in adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back