List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't playing finals in 2021.

I want to do well too, but the fact remains players like Rowbottom played better when Kennedy was not in the team as he was played in a better position for him. We can't squander development opportunities for guys like Rowbottom by playing them out of position in favour of older players who will be gone in the next year or two.

I agree with your sentiment, that it's time to rip the band-aid off and start preparing for life without JPK, and it's better for that preparation to be a gradual phasing out, rather than a sudden departure that leaves a gaping hole in our midfield.

But it also depends a lot on what Rowbottom is ready for. He was at centre bounces all season where he was consistently good and he had a very impressive run of several games in the middle of the year where he stepped up in JPK's absence.

Two things to note though. 'Stepping up' and 'being as good as' are two different things. He elevated his game when we needed him to do so, but it still did not match JPK's output, which is to be expected. Second, he was cooked by round 14. That suggests he may not be physically up to being the main man in there yet. Maybe if he has a big pre-season, and shows some evidence in a JLT match that he can go four quarters as the leader in there like he did at times this year, then it would be a prospect worth exploring.

Until then, I am rooting for that guy to be Hewett.

I am not sure it is something that can be planned out several years in advance.

Whether our young players improve will determine what our list needs are. And if we have to use our salary cap to retain players other teams want to poach.

=---=

Though when Franklin's contract ends, I don't think there is any guarantee that we are going to trade in multiple big name expensive players. We usually trade in a big name key forward if a suitable one is available and build the rest of the list through drafting and trading in lower profile players.
Yes, as our young players talent begins to shine, the southern poachers will come with promises of gold. We shall need some of Buddy's dollars to pay our boys their commercial worth. It's not like all of Buddy's annual salary will become available for the Club's use. They will already have bitten chunks off Buddy's future annuity to keep the faith with our rising stars. Better that we also look at what we are paying the likes of Sam Reid and how we might better utilise that salary investment. Same goes with a few other players. I would not be surprised if we paid overs for Heeney's contract when Norf came hunting his services. It's the extra burden of us discovering and developing gems.

I agree with your sentiment, that it's time to rip the band-aid off and start preparing for life without JPK, and it's better for that preparation to be a gradual phasing out, rather than a sudden departure that leaves a gaping hole in our midfield.

But it also depends a lot on what Rowbottom is ready for. He was at centre bounces all season where he was consistently good and he had a very impressive run of several games in the middle of the year where he stepped up in JPK's absence.

Two things to note though. 'Stepping up' and 'being as good as' are two different things. He elevated his game when we needed him to do so, but it still did not match JPK's output, which is to be expected. Second, he was cooked by round 14. That suggests he may not be physically up to being the main man in there yet. Maybe if he has a big pre-season, and shows some evidence in a JLT match that he can go four quarters as the leader in there like he did at times this year, then it would be a prospect worth exploring.

Until then, I am rooting for that guy to be Hewett.
Hewett has earned the right..I quite agree. I hope that the rumours about his back were a smoke screen of sorts and he is ready to play the bully like JPK. Rowbottom will get there - he just needs his body to finish growing and filling out. His prime is still some way off...but he will be a ripper player. A decent ruckman like Hickey who can win taps and offers big body protection will also help his output dramatically.

It's Parker and Kennedy splitting time if we're serious about opportunities for youth and planning for the future

Ideally Parker should go more FWD too

I think it was a guess. Not sure about educated.

You don't actually know any of those figures you just stated are correct.
We do know that Cameron is on $950K as this was declared with his free agency deal. We also know that Geelong have often said that no player will be paid more than Selwood and Dangerfield. So that's a reasonable start of what we do KNOW.

I think Warner could definitely be a valuable piece, but I wouldnt expect to see him I consistent outings until maybe his 3rd or 4th year.

But after seeing McInerney's improvement he could really make a run for best 22.

Warner won't be within coo-ee of the first team if two of Hewett, JPK and Parker are fit. Even more so if Clarke keeps impressing and Campbell and Gulden are looking good.
May or may not amount to anything, IDK, but we won't find out this year IMO.
Gulden?
Warner was U 18 AA in 2019.
At present he's a mile ahead of Gulden.

Gulden?
Warner was U 18 AA in 2019.
At present he's a mile ahead of Gulden.
Gulden was second in the B&F in the SFL. Does that count for more or less than being named in a representative U18 team? I don't know, but all he could do was play against the available opposition and he proved to be one of the best in the league despite being a 17 year old playing against men.

Players that come through the academy process generally have a head start on other draftees too. They have been part of our system for years, we have been the ones guiding his development, he will have a better idea about our systems, about the roles that we want him to play.

I wouldn't say Warner is necessarily particularly far ahead of him, if at all.

Gulden was second in the B&F in the SFL. Does that count for more or less than being named in a representative U18 team? I don't know, but all he could do was play against the available opposition and he proved to be one of the best in the league despite being a 17 year old playing against men.

Players that come through the academy process generally have a head start on other draftees too. They have been part of our system for years, we have been the ones guiding his development, he will have a better idea about our systems, about the roles that we want him to play.

I wouldn't say Warner is necessarily particularly far ahead of him, if at all.
Fair call but I'm just saying a year is a long time at that age.
I still assume that Warner is more advanced after a full year as a professional player versus a kid still finishing school.
Not knocking Gulden.. Just think Warner should be ready next year.

I still assume that Warner is more advanced after a full year as a professional player versus a kid still finishing school.
I hope both are ready and pushing each other for a sport in the 22.

If 2020 was a normal year, I would agree with you. But given the lack of proper 2nd tier footy for the AFL listed players, I'd say Gulden actually got more competitive footy in than Warner. Warner was part of an AFL program though. So tough call as to who is in front and by how much. Let's call it evens!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 2020 was a normal year, I would agree with you. But given the lack of proper 2nd tier footy for the AFL listed players, I'd say Gulden actually got more competitive footy in than Warner. Warner was part of an AFL program though. So tough call as to who is in front and by how much. Let's call it evens!
One thing to bear in mind is that quite possibly at this stage Gulden is viewed as a small forward rather than as an inside mid until he bulks up a little. Warner will have had two full pre-seasons plus is a year older. I doubt either will play Rd1 unless there are injuries.
I think Gulden has Papley, Hayward, Wicks, possibly McInerney and Gray in front of him. Warner has the big three mids, Rowbottom plus Florent and a bit of Blakey.

I think Warner could definitely be a valuable piece, but I wouldnt expect to see him I consistent outings until maybe his 3rd or 4th year.

But after seeing McInerney's improvement he could really make a run for best 22.
I am really looking forward to McInerney next year. But throw in McDonald, Campbell, Gulden, Ling, Gould,
One thing to bear in mind is that quite possibly at this stage Gulden is viewed as a small forward rather than as an inside mid until he bulks up a little. Warner will have had two full pre-seasons plus is a year older. I doubt either will play Rd1 unless there are injuries.
I think Gulden has Papley, Hayward, Wicks, possibly McInerney and Gray in front of him. Warner has the big three mids, Rowbottom plus Florent and a bit of Blakey.
What a great problem to have :)

If Gray is in front of any of our youngsters (small or tall), I'd still play the youngster for development. If Warner's good enough, he should get some games naturally due to injuries and whether JPK needs a rest at any point. Warner looked to have the effort/attitude, but the times he tried to actually have a disposal, my goodness. Hopefully just some nerves that will settle.

If Gray is in front of any of our youngsters (small or tall), I'd still play the youngster for development. If Warner's good enough, he should get some games naturally due to injuries and whether JPK needs a rest at any point. Warner looked to have the effort/attitude, but the times he tried to actually have a disposal, my goodness. Hopefully just some nerves that will settle.
Gray is not in front of anyone. Gray, L Taylor, Thurlow and Clarke (infamous four) were brought into the team as mature experienced players to provide depth. Sydney had a policy of going to the draft to rebuild the team. These guys were brought in to provide experience if injuries occurred. If you look at 2020 none of these players were locks in our best 22. They were brought in because we had very little to no experience across all positions outside our best 22 players. Look at the list (attached) and look at how many games our depth players have (discouting the extra games some of our juniours played this year). If you discard the infamous four there is little to no experience. Over the next 2 years they will be phased out of the team as their job will have been done. To provide experience to the team while our youngsters get experience. I expect Clarke will be kept because he has proven himself, he is only 24 and is good depth.
Picture1.jpg

Grey , bell , Amerty will be delisted at end of 21. Probably Ling also imo

Taylor will play stuff all in final 2 years
I agree with Taylor. Worst signing in years on a 3 year deal. We a short in the ruck so despite Amartey not proving himself he still might be kept unless we draft of trade in a better option. Bell I'm not sold on either. Jury is still out. Ling is facing his do or die year in 2021. If he has a good preseason and doesn't crack the team then ..............

Gray is not in front of anyone. Gray, L Taylor, Thurlow and Clarke (infamous four) were brought into the team as mature experienced players to provide depth. Sydney had a policy of going to the draft to rebuild the team. These guys were brought in to provide experience if injuries occurred. If you look at 2020 none of these players were locks in our best 22. They were brought in because we had very little to no experience across all positions outside our best 22 players. Look at the list (attached) and look at how many games our depth players have (discouting the extra games some of our juniours played this year). If you discard the infamous four there is little to no experience. Over the next 2 years they will be phased out of the team as their job will have been done. To provide experience to the team while our youngsters get experience. I expect Clarke will be kept because he has proven himself, he is only 24 and is good depth.
View attachment 1029587
I agree re Clarke, don't think he has yet hit his ceiling with this team. Of course Thurlow did and went. Gray and Taylor have contracts to run out and the likes of Gulden will be ready by then. TBH I'm actually disappointed with them, particularly with Gray. I thought they offered more than it turned out.
Unless Ronke improves significantly I think he's gone too. Lucky to be kept on IMO.
You never know how the newbies will pan out but they all look as if they have something to offer.
I still hope we pick up Paddy McCartin as in a couple of years we will have only McDonal and McLean. One not enough IMO. Great age mark for him.

I agree re Clarke, don't think he has yet hit his ceiling with this team. Of course Thurlow did and went. Gray and Taylor have contracts to run out and the likes of Gulden will be ready by then. TBH I'm actually disappointed with them, particularly with Gray. I thought they offered more than it turned out.
Unless Ronke improves significantly I think he's gone too. Lucky to be kept on IMO.
You never know how the newbies will pan out but they all look as if they have something to offer.
I still hope we pick up Paddy McCartin as in a couple of years we will have only McDonal and McLean. One not enough IMO. Great age mark for him.
Yep. Clarke is a keeper as good depth.
Gray will be the first player delisted.
Taylor has the luxury of another year. Bad trade.
Ronke has lots of competition. Papley, Wicks, Gulden, etc does bode well for him.
But looking at the bright side, losing good players for better players can not be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back