7News: Major Review into the AFL, independent of the AFL & the 18 Clubs, will start early 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Channel 7's T. Browne said 8.12, re purpose of the independent Review

"...what footy looks like in decades to come".
"...scope is yet to be determined".

(Scroll to my post#2911 for the 7news T. Browne's link, & further details on the upcoming independent Review of the AFL).

I hope the Review will examine:-

. the huge waste at AFLHQ (11 person executive was being paid $10.8 m pa- probably highest in the world for the Executive team of a Not For Profit Organisation, outside of the USA).
And other HQ subordinate staffing expenses, & AFLHQ & Club general costs etc.: & how they relate to Return On Investment for the AFL & Clubs, & benefits for the game overall.

. the massive & wasteful expenditure that had occurred at Club Football Departments etc. (but not including player wages).

. the Tasmanian disaster- the fabled recruitment gold mine of Champions & stars has died; & the quantity & quality of recent Draftees is relatively poor.
Tas. is overrepresented, per capita, in the AFL Team Of The Century, & AFL Hall OF Fame- now former glories, for demoralised & underfunded Tasmania.

And defined entry date for a Tasmanian 19th Club.

. how to capitalise on the Australian Football strong grassroots' competition player growth occurring in NSW, ACT, & Qld?

Should more funds be spent there, to further turbocharge this growth?
(Male RL & RU contact numbers there are in a significant, long term decline).

. whether the current concussion protocols in the AFL sufficiently rigorous to, reasonably, minimise rates of concussion of players (including grassroots)?
And whether they significantly minimise any chances that a future court (under current laws) declare that the AFL, from 2020, has breached its Duty Of Care?

. And, of course, the scrappy congestion has been a dominant concern of the AFL since c. 2005.

Last edited:

You have two competing forces in play at the AFL.

1. The AFL Executive, who are so morally abhorrent they will do what is best to line their pockets rather than maintain the santcity of the game. Its all done in a pretense of "growing the game" but when "growing the game" really only means surface level growth sufficient to pay executive bonuses, it's not really real growth; and
2. The AFLPA, who are so incredibly self interested (for the upper 40% of the playing cohort) that they kibosh factors such as equal fixturing, state of origin and removal of salary cap floor.

Weaken these two beasts and turn the lens onto the true power-base - the fans and see how things go.

Tenements of a strong AFL competition:
- as fair a fixture as possible;
- consistency of rules and umpiring;
- valuing competition and outcome above all else;
- promoting the uniqueness of our game (i.e father sons and promoting historical clubs)
- access for fans
- larrinkinism, suburban footballism, personality.

They should look into a play everyone twice home and away fair fixture with the GF at the highest ranked teams ground. **** it. Its 2020

More like how did the MCG contract get extended behind closed doors between AFL House, the MCG and Vic state government and in doing so excluded any input or involvement from outside Victoria?

ACCC anti competition laws could well have been breached by not allowing an open, transparent tendering process.

If found in breach of the act that contract could be ripped up and an open tender process undertaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. It's 2020. The grand final was played at the Gabba, at night. It was sh*t. Experiment over.

Back to MCG and normal time, thanks.

Of course it was sh!t. That's what the VAFL wanted.

Sub standard venue in a non AFL state. Everyone could see it would be a crap event.

You reap what you sow!

You have two competing forces in play at the AFL.

1. The AFL Executive, who are so morally abhorrent they will do what is best to line their pockets rather than maintain the santcity of the game. Its all done in a pretense of "growing the game" but when "growing the game" really only means surface level growth sufficient to pay executive bonuses, it's not really real growth; and
2. The AFLPA, who are so incredibly self interested (for the upper 40% of the playing cohort) that they kibosh factors such as equal fixturing, state of origin and removal of salary cap floor.

Weaken these two beasts and turn the lens onto the true power-base - the fans and see how things go.

Tenements of a strong AFL competition:
- as fair a fixture as possible;
- consistency of rules and umpiring;
- valuing competition and outcome above all else;
- promoting the uniqueness of our game (i.e father sons and promoting historical clubs)
- access for fans
- larrinkinism, suburban footballism, personality.

The weakness of the Commission disappoints me, Mr Goyder particularly. He should open himself up to an annual media questioning - the media would need to understand his role, not the usual suspects quibbling about free kicks etc.

“Never hold a review unless you know what the outcome is going to be.”

And this is the AFL, folks. There’s not going to be anything controversial.

Pridham sails in his spare time, got more than a few board room tables to sit around if it took his fancy. He wont be about a media feast.

More like how did the MCG contract get extended behind closed doors between AFL House, the MCG and Vic state government and in doing so excluded any input or involvement from outside Victoria?

ACCC anti competition laws could well have been breached by not allowing an open, transparent tendering process.

If found in breach of the act that contract could be ripped up and an open tender process undertaken.

When you get a bid nobody else will be able to match, putting it out to tender is a waste of time and money.

If it’s an open tender we will probably see a similar result. I don’t believe the other state govts will be willing to pony up the cash.

If it’s an open tender we will probably see a similar result. I don’t believe the other state govts will be willing to pony up the cash.

You may be correct.

And if Victoria and the MCG won in an open tender setting there would be no issues.

And in an open tender AFL and the competition may very well have ended up with a better deal as well.

Thats what open competition brings.

But it's wasn't. It was all done and dusted behind closed doo res in the shadows with no open competitive process. And that more often than not equates to dodgy deals and kick backs.

You may be correct.

And if Victoria and the MCG won in an open tender setting there would be no issues.

And in an open tender AFL and the competition may very well have ended up with a better deal as well.

Thats what open competition brings.

But it's wasn't. It was all done and dusted behind closed doo res in the shadows with no open competitive process. And that more often than not equates to dodgy deals and kick backs.
Yeah I’m not against the process you suggest. I just don’t think it will yield a different result.

Until other state governments put their hand in their pocket, they just aren’t serious about hosting the GF outside of Melb. I’d be all for them to do so, but can’t see it happening unfortunately.

A review is long overdue given the not for profit status and seeming low return of profits and lack of investment in heartland / grassroots football.

Executive benefits are absurd. I would like to see the tax free status of this organisation reviewed and potentially removed, it became a business a long time ago. I would like to know what their obligations are to maintain this.

Nothing will come of this however. League exists to line the pocket of those in charge.

The weakness of the Commission disappoints me, Mr Goyder particularly. He should open himself up to an annual media questioning - the media would need to understand his role, not the usual suspects quibbling about free kicks etc.

Thats assuming we had a media with a capacity to ask the right questions. Current media lot are in the AFLs pocket. Many of these are barely coherent (see Tom Brown thread or AFL 360) and have no capacity or inclination (due to big $$$ contracts with the league) to criticise those in charge.

No one else has any reach to get any traction for change. The apparent dissatification with inconsistent umpiring and rules is an example of something that is a discussed here regularly and large lots of people appear dissatisfied. Nothing changes, fans are not listened to and the media largely ignore this issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back