List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My prediction: "Christmas Comes Early for Freo"

Signing Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw for 4 seasons, Taberner for three, Tucker for two and two extra years for all draftees. One trigger year for Conca and a partridge in a pear tree.

Yep he did. First two games in 2017 IIRC before he was swung forward for the majority of the rest of the season. The general criticism was he was slow off the mark to spoil and lacked strength, all the sort of deficits you might expect of a 18yo KPP.

IIRC he was playing down back at Peel in 2017 and taking a s**t ton of marks, before playing fwd for most of the year when he came into the side (pretty sure his debut up in Brisbane was up forward).

IIRC he was playing down back at Peel in 2017 and taking a sh*t ton of marks, before playing fwd for most of the year when he came into the side (pretty sure his debut up in Brisbane was up forward).

His debut was in the backline I'm fairly certain, bench start, second game was listed down back as per my link. After that swung forward.

His debut was in the backline I'm fairly certain, bench start, second game was listed down back as per my link. After that swung forward.
in that case i’m very happy to see how successfully i’ve suppressed that disgusting Brisbane game he made his debut in

I'm still not convinced Cox played defence in 2017, 2018 or 2019. He kicked a behind (and had a goal assist) in his debut against Brisbane.

And pretty much he had goals and/or behinds in the vast majority of games right through until 2020.

I'm still not convinced Cox played defence in 2017, 2018 or 2019. He kicked a behind (and had a goal assist) in his debut against Brisbane.

And pretty much he had goals and/or behinds in the vast majority of games right through until 2020.
I agree. Although I reckon Van_Dyke is correct that Cox started down at Peel in the backline.

I thought his first game was that one I referred to in another post against Geelong. My memory of Brennan Cox in that Geelong game was forward and ruck. Did a decent job in the ruck as well.

He’s a handy key forward and a handy key back. For list balance in 2021 him being ready to play forward is critical. He may well also play Key back.

I know we played a three talls forward line and it worked well against North but I honestly believe that J-Lo’s preferred structure is two key positions only. That could mean any two of Lobb, Tabs & Cox with Darcy/Meek resting forward when swapping with Lobb. I really like the look of Sturt as medium tall as well and then you have Fyfe and Mundy roaming through as 192cm tall players.

Great to see Hamling going well. I was concerned about his post surgical infections but not having further surgery is indeed great news. He is a key back only for mine. A key leader and will slot in easily alongside Ryan, Logue and Wilson.

I found all the calls for 'replacing' Hogan's role, as it was in 2020 at least, a bit odd. Clubs playing three talls voluntarily would be in the minority surely? Are any other than GWS playing three 195 plus fowards at the same time?
If you're going to do it you'd want at least one to either ruck 30% and more and or one to offer some defensive pressure or its welcome to rebound city.

With Lobb and Tabs being of the taller less mobile type forward and our main ruck being even more so I think we are tactically better off with the extra small.

I found all the calls for 'replacing' Hogan's role, as it was in 2020 at least, a bit odd. Clubs playing three talls voluntarily would be in the minority surely? Are any other than GWS playing three 195 plus fowards at the same time?
If you're going to do it you'd want at least one to either ruck 30% and more and or one to offer some defensive pressure or its welcome to rebound city.

With Lobb and Tabs being of the taller less mobile type forward and our main ruck being even more so I think we are tactically better off with the extra small.
I think the issue is mobility, not height, but a third forward around 192cms who is fast and agile would be a very useful asset in our forward line. And for me that is still a tall forward. They are critical in reducing double teaming and for maximizing mismatches.

In a perfect world they are a player who can rotate with Fyfe, and with Mundy and Acres we should be able to do that, and down the line if Valente, Sturt, Treacy or Chapman can join the party, Happy Days.

West Coast too with Darling, Kennedy and Allen/Waterman. Although only Kennedy 195+ but all 192+ I think

The issue for us when we play only 2 talls, is that Tabs and Lobb are so handy to take marks up on the wing to allow us to get out of defense, thus leaving us devoid of a tall option other than a midfielder in the forward line.

However the stronger our small/mid forwards and wings get, the better we will be. I expect our spacing and speed in the forward line to make up for the lack of a third tall.

West Coast too with Darling, Kennedy and Allen/Waterman. Although only Kennedy 195+ but all 192+ I think
This kind of underlines my point. They are in the minority. Plus Allen and Darling are highly mobile.
West Coast have to play a forward who rucks significantly because Nik Nat can't run out a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue for us when we play only 2 talls, is that Tabs and Lobb are so handy to take marks up on the wing to allow us to get out of defense, thus leaving us devoid of a tall option other than a midfielder in the forward line.

However the stronger our small/mid forwards and wings get, the better we will be. I expect our spacing and speed in the forward line to make up for the lack of a third tall.
Equally important locking the ball in our forward line from a kick in. Just helps control the options for the opposition team.

This kind of underlines my point. They are in the minority. Plus Allen and Darling are highly mobile.
West Coast have to play a forward who rucks significantly because Nik Nat can't run out a game.

I think they were a better team with a smaller side. Rioli, Ryan, Cripps, Le Cras made up the rest of their forward line that premiership season with two rucks rotating in the middle. Now they’ve gone Allen as a forward/ruck (quality player though) with Waterman playing utility all over the ground. They’re slow as s**t.

Or take a look at Melbourne. They went McDonald, Weiderman and Luke Jackson (forward ruck, who they want to blood) with Max Gawn covering more of the defensive end with mixed results. Now they’ve recruited Ben Brown, a lead-up forward yet Melbourne can’t kick for s**t. It’s gonna be interesting to see if it works out for them.

A few seasons we played Melbourne at the G.

We isolate Fyfe on a wing which provided an outlet from defense.

I would start Fyfe in the centre square and then play the marking outlet from defense.

A few seasons we played Melbourne at the G.

We isolate Fyfe on a wing which provided an outlet from defense.

I would start Fyfe in the centre square and then play the marking outlet from defense.
I was at that game. It was a clinic by Fyfe. I'd play Fyfe a bit like Ablett Snr in his prime. Start in the middle (Ablett started on the wing) then move forward. If there's a centre break that goes the opposition way, Fyfe can stay in the middle and be that outlet you're talking about.

This, plus having both Tabs and Lobb available for almost the entire season is likely to happen about as often as a global pandemic.

Except Carey never won either, let alone both in the same year..
Well aware of that. More just the ability to tear a game apart, influence the result.
Love to see the arguments against him being one of the best if it happens is all. Dirty Birds clinging onto their cups

Out of Taberner's 8 seasons, he's played less than half a season in 5 of them including all three of 2017-19 and his highest tally for a year is 17 games. Lobb too has had a recurring back issue. So while we can argue the merits of a tall trio in the forward line (and of doing something different from the majority), it's not a bad idea to see if we can't get some contingency cover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back