Umpiring AFL searches for new head of umpiring...

Remove this Banner Ad

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

"As part of its restructure this year Grant Williams, who has been head of umpiring over the past three seasons, has been appointed in a critical and senior role within the League's talent team as national talent development and competitions manager.

The role is a significant one for Williams, who is highly rated at HQ and among clubs, and will see him lead and drive the changes across national and state talent programs including the NAB League, management of state talent teams and the integration of the diversity talent team."

I'm not sure if it's a promotion for the outgoing head but it sounds like it might be. Is it warranted?

Umpiring at the worst its ever been promote the head guy brilliant afl.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not sure its his fault the AFL change a bunch of rules every off season and a bunch more mid season.

Gil, Hocking and and Rules committee have zero clue how the game works so every new rule ends up needing 3 new rules to fix.

Not sure its his fault the AFL change a bunch of rules every off season and a bunch more mid season.

Gil, Hocking and and Rules committee have zero clue how the game works so every new rule ends up needing 3 new rules to fix.
Understand that and i give them leeway but when they can't see basic things like people throwing a ball or dropping the ball in tackles constantly thats on umpires

Understand that and i give them leeway but when they can't see basic things like people throwing a ball or dropping the ball in tackles constantly thats on umpires

The AFL dont want to stop that. They want the ball moving.

Look at the Hawthorn free kicks for and against after Clarko called out the atrocious officiating on holding the ball.

Many love mocking Clarko because of it, but does anyone actually like the skill levels on display now ?

Well, Tigers supporters Im sure. Until their era ends.

ROTFL, ill fix their umpiring mess in two days and for a quarter of the price.

1) make afl umps full time professionals.
2) streamline the rules to make them easier to understand and adjudicate.
3) put a stop to the cheap as chips 50 mtr penalties.
4) reversing free kicks to be abolished.
That's just a few changes that need to be made.

The AFL dont want to stop that. They want the ball moving.

Look at the Hawthorn free kicks for and against after Clarko called out the atrocious officiating on holding the ball.

Many love mocking Clarko because of it, but does anyone actually like the skill levels on display now ?

Well, Tigers supporters Im sure. Until their era ends.
Agreed skills are deplorable afl wide.

Few problems with making umps full time though:

1. What would they do that they aren't doing now? They basically run 6 days per week so you can't pad their day with extra fitness training. Their knowledge of the laws is second to none - most could write the rule book word for word off the top of their head so sitting down every day re-reading laws of the game won't achieve anything. All they would end up doing is running recruiting clinics at schools, etc. which won't have any impact on match day performances. Or else sitting down watching every match from the previous week - effective?? They'll also be getting paid to do a lot of not much from October to February other than run.

2. Realistically any full time ump will only have a limited time on the books (no different to players). If anything there is less job security - if a player gets delisted they'll often go to another club. If an ump gets delisted where will he / she go? Most umps have professional type jobs currently and unless they are self employed, will suffer career advancement issues by becoming full time umpires. You might actually find it makes the situation worse. e.g. If the panel was told that from 2022 all field umpires will be FT, many will make a decision that they need to think of their next 30 years of working life rather than the next 3-5 of umpiring and decide to withdraw. You might find you end up losing the better and more experienced guys.

3. It will actually generate backlash due to the points above. Umpires will be getting paid more yet doing just what they do now. Expectations will be higher because money is being thrown at them and questions will get asked why things aren't seen to be improving. It suggests they will work harder and umpire better because more money is being offered. It's just not how it works. Prestige of getting to the highest level is what makes umpiring so competitive and this is the prime driver for the umpires.

One of the biggest issues when comparing players and umpires is that players can test match scenarios during the week by virtue of the numbers they have at training and can simulate real match scenarios. Umpires can look after fitness by themselves or in groups but their only real chance to practise umpiring is in matches. Umpire groups can simulate basic skill drills but you find these are very scripted and often bear no resemblance to how tackling / scrimmages / disposals occur in real games.

Your point 2 I completely agree with.

As for abolishing reversing free kicks, are you suggesting that if a player gets pushed in the back near the boundary line, gets up feeling rather annoyed and shoves the offending player into the fence, that a secondary free kick shouldn't be awarded??

Last edited:

As ManInWhite said, making umps full time professions is problematic. The fact that few, if any, umps want that to happen should make it clear that it's not a career move most would choose. Losing a good number of those currently considered "the best" isn't going to change things for the better any time soon.

2) Nice idea, but remember, that the 'hands in the back' rule where a hand touching the back was an automatic penalty (but you could 'push' them in the side, or push their back with your forearm all you wanted) came from this type of thinking.

3) Currently there are usually what, 2-4 50m penalties per game? I don't think it's a major issue.

4) So after you've got a free, you, or your teammates, can do anything to 'remonstrate' with no penalty? Maybe the better solution here is for players not to be idiots. (also applies to 50m penalties)

As ManInWhite said, making umps full time professions is problematic. The fact that few, if any, umps want that to happen should make it clear that it's not a career move most would choose. Losing a good number of those currently considered "the best" isn't going to change things for the better any time soon.

2) Nice idea, but remember, that the 'hands in the back' rule where a hand touching the back was an automatic penalty (but you could 'push' them in the side, or push their back with your forearm all you wanted) came from this type of thinking.

3) Currently there are usually what, 2-4 50m penalties per game? I don't think it's a major issue.

4) So after you've got a free, you, or your teammates, can do anything to 'remonstrate' with no penalty? Maybe the better solution here is for players not to be idiots. (also applies to 50m penalties)
I did not get a chance to reply to his post. Which I'll go back to do.

If you want better performing umps then full time should be a start.
A system of education and training with a rule consolidation.

I did not get a chance to reply to his post. Which I'll go back to do.

If you want better performing umps then full time should be a start.
A system of education and training with a rule consolidation.

If you want full time, you either need there to be a career path (something to do for the rest of your professional life when your knees start to go at 35-40) or to pay them sufficiently that they don't need that (like players).

Both would prove to be VERY expensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want full time, you either need there to be a career path (something to do for the rest of your professional life when your knees start to go at 35-40) or to pay them sufficiently that they don't need that (like players).

Both would prove to be VERY expensive.
Who has one carreer in this day and age?
It's very rare....umpires should be on as much as mid base afl player wage.
Then we might get some great umpiring and much less frustrated supporters.

I'm against cheep frees BTW.
50 mtr penalties should only be given on very bad frees. And no reversing of frees, that will take out a lot of niggling s**t that goes on with players trying to reverse free. You want to stop it. Sure. After the game send fines to players doing the wrong thing. Like they do know with behind the play fines.

Who has one carreer in this day and age?
It's very rare....umpires should be on as much as mid base afl player wage.
Then we might get some great umpiring and much less frustrated supporters.

I'm against cheep frees BTW.
50 mtr penalties should only be given on very bad frees. And no reversing of frees, that will take out a lot of niggling sh*t that goes on with players trying to reverse free. You want to stop it. Sure. After the game send fines to players doing the wrong thing. Like they do know with behind the play fines.

True, but in my experience, the 'new' career frequently grows out of the previous.

Lot a lot of 'related fields' to morph into.

Most people also tend to prefer to go into fields that CAN be long term.

Point is though, everything you do to discourage potential umpires means the quality of those that do end up in the job will be lower.

True, but in my experience, the 'new' career frequently grows out of the previous.

Lot a lot of 'related fields' to morph into.

Most people also tend to prefer to go into fields that CAN be long term.

Point is though, everything you do to discourage potential umpires means the quality of those that do end up in the job will be lower.
I believe the two can co-exist, semi pro and pro athletes have co existed for years. full time pros did not stop semi pros as far as I know.

If you know of another way to improve umpires/rules please let me know, cause the whole rules/umpiring system need a fix from the inside out.
They've been putting band aids on it for years and its not any better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back