List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh who knows, players who fall dramatically out of draft range will sometimes end up being great pick ups and sometimes show eventually why clubs were scared off (e.g. Balic, Stack).
Balic is one who really should've done the whole 'don't pick me if you're interstate' thing in his interviews. He was a very young 18 when drafted, was clearly extremely close to his family, and suffered when away from them in Perth.

Sure, it's draft tampering, but so too does it let the clubs in question know that it's probably better to keep their powder dry.

Balic is one who really should've done the whole 'don't pick me if you're interstate' thing in his interviews. He was a very young 18 when drafted, was clearly extremely close to his family, and suffered when away from them in Perth.

Sure, it's draft tampering, but so too does it let the clubs in question know that it's probably better to keep their powder dry.

Balic never really had the heart for footy, shame as he was extremely talented

Dad offered him 70k to stay in Melbourne and pull out after he was drafted to the Dockers

I don’t think it’s a good look when prospective draft kids nominate their state . That’s a rule I would change ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who nominates a state as a rule? They can’t but, give subtle and not too subtle hints that they aren’t open to moving. They aren’t allowed to nominate a state in an open draft. No need to change a rule that doesn’t exist. Then again, the whole draft system is a tolerated, necessary restraint of trade.

Who nominates a state as a rule? They can’t but, give subtle and not too subtle hints that they aren’t open to moving. They aren’t allowed to nominate a state in an open draft. No need to change a rule that doesn’t exist. Then again, the whole draft system is a tolerated, necessary restraint of trade.

Agree but the subtle hints. . Kids should be proud to get a gig on a list anywhere..

Came back home traded to the Dee's didn't play 1 game
Dees are a massive private schoolboy's club, with all that entails. I don't know if that would've been the right environment to see him thrive.

You shouldn't have to cater to every little thing a player needs, but you do need to listen and accommodate where possible.

It's been a difficult year for draftees and those watching on.

Normally, I don't get too caught up with hype on a player, as it's more about determining the full package over a career, which in itself is difficult

Players like Winder and Ford are rare, they have a point of difference that not many kids possess, xfactor and a willingness to contribute to team ethos, chase, tackle etc.

Kids will pop out of nowhere to cement themselves as bolters, given the nature of this year, although, those types also have that point of difference

I was going to reply to your previous post in regards to Winder being a respectable kid, I know nothing to suggest he isn’t, but why did clubs, most clubs, pass on the two you mentioned For as long as they did?

I don’t think it’s a good look when prospective draft kids nominate their state . That’s a rule I would change ..

There is no rule and draftees don’t get to nominate a state.

If a rule were to be introduced, would you make it illegal for a player to answer honestly or would you just ban clubs from asking questions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but the subtle hints. . Kids should be proud to get a gig on a list anywhere..

Its their choice all said and done its a job if they dont want to move interstate i dont see the problem .
Firstly it possibly says that the player is maybe not totally committed to their football having said that Nathan Buckley went alright .
They are possibly limiting their own chances of selection which again is their choice .
Secondly it gives the interested club an indication that they may bail at a later date so the club has been given a heads up .

Imo the only reason its frowned upon is the AFLs determination to have the National game flourish whilst having so many teams in one state Victoria .

It's somewhat annoying that in the most we judge who did well in the trade period and draft periods separately, when in fact they're most often bound.
Essendon did well in the draft? Of course they did well. They lost two of their best players.
We can lose Cripps, McKay and Weitering next year and I'll be we'll do well in the draft. :)
Weitering re-signed until the end of 2025. At least argue with facts FFS!!!

Arr0w, HARKER...

Wasn't the thunder dome designed for you two?
There is an ignore option mate...just saying.
I am not taking sides either.

Reckon your both wrong....... ;)
ferrisb & Blue and Blue shut up. How dare you two ruin our summer entertainment.

Dees are a massive private schoolboy's club, with all that entails. I don't know if that would've been the right environment to see him thrive.

You shouldn't have to cater to every little thing a player needs, but you do need to listen and accommodate where possible.
Yep but he chose to go to the dees (although not sure how much interest there was elsewhere).

Yep but he chose to go to the dees (although not sure how much interest there was elsewhere).
Didn't want to be in Perth anymore, and he was once a private schoolboy IIRC. I think we asked the question, but Melbourne were seen as further along and thus the better choice for him.

Yeah I think if a kid indicates that he considers himself to immature to uproot and move interstate away from his family the clubs should take that into account, some just aren’t ready at 17-18 and it’s a recipe for failure to force them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back