7News: Major Review into the AFL, independent of the AFL & the 18 Clubs, will start early 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

More tickets available at the G than any other ground can offer by far. Everyone pays for a ticket. No other ground can get anywhere close to the money a full MCG brings in
MCC members pay less per game than those in other states!

Try getting a ticket for the recent Richmond or Collingwood grand finals. People will pay ridiculous prices already.

what would be the point of having far less people able to go and charging them more just to break even with the MCGs earning capability.
I think the biggest point is that less Victorians but many more Australians could attend the Grand Final.

We have one person here arguing that the ticketing revenue is the most important aspect of the GF at the MCG, and one person arguing that it is not important at all. It would be really nice to have some some facts and figures.

You are applying the limitations of the MCG to any other stadium - they dont even apply at Geelong.

The only thing a review as requested by Pridham will investigate over the MCG deal, if anything, is the missed opportunity in the 2040s of a bidding war.

The limitations aren't from the MCG, they're from the AFL.

They're largely *AFL* sponsors, *AFL* agreements, and *AFL* members.

They'll move to where ever the game is held.

The only one that could be cut at all would be the AFL members, and if they did that, they'd lose money (less chance of GF means it has less value) which would be another revenue source the competing stadium would need to make up if the AFL is to make equal/greater from the move.

The only one that could be cut at all would be the AFL members, and if they did that, they'd lose money (less chance of GF means it has less value) which would be another revenue source the competing stadium would need to make up if the AFL is to make equal/greater from the move.
As I said previously, starting with the assumption that as little as possible should change, makes it seem very problematic to move the GF from the MCG. Different AFL memberships (targeted at Australians, not just Victorians), looking at different corporate sponsors etc, may provide quite a different picture.

I am not sure that your answer gives a very clear picture, at least not to me. There are large corporates in Perth, there is money in Perth. We are used to paying more for our football than people in Victoria do.

If we start with the assumption that as little as possible should change then looking at options other than the MCG will seem unworkable.

Sure there are, but are they going to replace the AFL's sponsors?

NAB for example gets hundreds, perhaps even a thousand tickets. These are tickets that can't be sold and thus make no revenue from the game, and would still go to NAB where ever the game is held (yes, there might be a change in who goes, but that wont change the revenue situation).

All AFL players get 2 tickets, with competing clubs players getting more...there is another 2000 or so 'gone' with no money made.

etc. etc. etc.

As I said previously, starting with the assumption that as little as possible should change, makes it seem very problematic to move the GF from the MCG. Different AFL memberships (targeted at Australians, not just Victorians), looking at different corporate sponsors etc, may provide quite a different picture.

AFL memberships targetting not just Victorians....Oh, please do!

If WA is willing to give the AFL the same deal for AFL members as they get at the MCG ( ~1/4 of the ground, mostly in the better seats for 'free', which the AFL sell in competition with the clubs ), then sure, that might become an option.

Yeah, that'd go down a treat.

As for the rest, they'd still demand the same number of seats....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What utter bullshit.

Seriously.

I am really unsure why my comment has elicited such responses. Surely it is obvious that Victorians get lots of opportunities to attend the Grand Final, non-Victorians do not. It is very expensive and often logistically difficult (getting flights, accom, time off work) for non-Victorians to attend. In a national competition this is a lot less than ideal.

I know that the MCG is iconic, that it has a bigger crowd, and may be more financially beneficial (although I would be more convinced of that if the AFL was less cloak and dagger). That there are down sides as well for non-Victorian fans and non-Victorian teams seems equally obvious.

I am really unsure why my comment has elicited such responses. Surely it is obvious that Victorians get lots of opportunities to attend the Grand Final, non-Victorians do not. It is very expensive and often logistically difficult (getting flights, accom, time off work) for non-Victorians to attend. In a national competition this is a lot less than ideal.

I know that the MCG is iconic, that it has a bigger crowd, and may be more financially beneficial (although I would be more convinced of that if the AFL was less cloak and dagger). That there are down sides as well for non-Victorian fans and non-Victorian teams seems equally obvious.

What is so hard to understand about the concept that if you cut the crowd capacity by 40 to 50 thousand, that many people don't get to go to the game?

Its a nonsense that an MCG Grand Final means its available to Victorians only. As far as I am aware the Eagles have sold their full allocation of 17,000 plus tickets every single time they have made the GF. And probably could have easily sold another 17k if they could get them. In fact I believe GWS is the only side in living memory NOT to sell their full whack.

Put a GF that the Eagles are playing in Perth and I can guarantee that many less Eagles supporters will be there than if it was at the G. The sponsors (both Club and AFL) will still get their allocation. The other team in the GF will get their allocation, and the other AFL Clubs will get theirs too. AFL members will get their tickets. There will still be mega expensive corporate tickets available.

Did they apply in Brisbane?

The Grand Final at the MCG is tied in to:

- The MCC rebuilding the great Southern Stand, likely at no cost to taypaxers
- 40+ AFL games a season at the G
- The Victorian Government major events budget
- The Victorian Government shelling out cash for facilities at pretty much every Vic based AFL club this year (and most other years along the way)
- The Vic Government paying up for the Marvel Stadium refurbishment, remember that Marvel is the league's most important financial asset

You could put the game out for tender year on year and then work out how to distribute the money or you can accept that it will be at the MCG and be a vital part in making sure roughly half the games each season get played at 2 great stadiums.

The Grand Final at the MCG is tied in to:

- The MCC rebuilding the great Southern Stand, likely at no cost to taypaxers
- 40+ AFL games a season at the G
- The Victorian Government major events budget
- The Victorian Government shelling out cash for facilities at pretty much every Vic based AFL club this year (and most other years along the way)
- The Vic Government paying up for the Marvel Stadium refurbishment, remember that Marvel is the league's most important financial asset

You could put the game out for tender year on year and then work out how to distribute the money or you can accept that it will be at the MCG and be a vital part in making sure roughly half the games each season get played at 2 great stadiums.

The AFL is basically a ministry of the Victorian State Government. You see that don't you? You see why the favour and corruption happens yeah? Do you think this is right in what many would reasonably expect from a "fair" competition?

The AFL is basically a ministry of the Victorian State Government. You see that don't you? You see why the favour and corruption happens yeah? Do you think this is right in what many would reasonably expect from a "fair" competition?

Did your tin foil hat slip off again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back