2020 Draft summary and thoughts

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I'm pretty bullish on Thilthorpe, Pedlar and Berry. You can't overlook a decent KPF/Ruck prospect who happens to be local so I'm happy we used our first pick on Thilthorpe. Pedlar and Berry look like the exact sort of midfielders we need right now. Big bodies who impose themselves on the contest and a bit of mongrel. I don't think it will be long before those boys are getting games.

I'm not confident about the rest of our draftees. Rowe was a big fish in a small pond playing in the SANFL and I'm wondering whether that form translates to the AFL. I feel that Newchurch could be anything from a superstar to a complete dud. Borlase I can't really comment on as there seems to be bugger all footage of the guy going around. He's a big unit for his age though.
And Cook?

Surely he's the player with massive upside given he was playing "local" footy 12 months before the Panthers saw something in him and invited him down to train with their U18's squad?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
And Cook?

Surely he's the player with massive upside given he was playing "local" footy 12 months before the Panthers saw something in him and invited him down to train with their U18's squad?
Whoops I left him out. Looks like a very impressive player to me. Might be a bit of a wait though if he's coming off a shoulder.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The GWS live draft feed debunks the idea that they were into him.
Where exactly? I couldn't glean anything from that video other than them being shocked we didn't take Stone.

EDIT: I see it now. Around 2:40 in the video they mention they'd be thrilled if Bruhn was still there at pick 10. That's enough for me. I must have skipped over that part of the video.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The GWS live draft feed debunks the idea that they were into him.
No arguments from me on that but BACCS was adamant his "sauce" was certain GWS were heavily into Pedlar and were certain to take him when it was obvious they were far more into Connor Stone and Tanner Bruhn.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
No arguments from me on that but BACCS was adamant his "sauce" was certain GWS were heavily into Pedlar and were certain to take him when it was obvious they were far more into Connor Stone and Tanner Bruhn.
I pretty much disregard people who say they have inside sources. I get some tasty gossip coming out of the WWT Eagles because I know people who work there but I generally avoid talking about it because I don't feel like arguing with people calling me a bullshit artist. (I also don't really give a * about the Eagles)

I pretty much disregard people who say they have inside sources. I get some tasty gossip coming out of the WWT Eagles because I know people who work there but I generally avoid talking about it because I don't feel like arguing with people calling me a bullshit artist. (I also don't really give a fu** about the Eagles)
Given the ducks & drakes played, I would not rule out people being fed false information knowing that it would get out.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Given the ducks & drakes played, I would not rule out people being fed false information knowing that it would get out.
You mean a canary trap? Some people think the Crows might have trapped Jenkins that way. There were all sorts of rumours he was leaking to the media and they traded his ass out at the end of the year.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
" They set a high price: this year's top pick, a future first-rounder and a player – in the case of the Swans, Dylan Stephens"

Dodoro would be proud (though, that's exactly what you do if someone wants to upgrade pick 1).
Shame it didn't come off. Imagine if we traded 1 for 3 & Stephens. Could have had Thilthorpe at pick 3 and added another mid. Would have been a great deal. I would have taken that without the extra first rounder.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Shame it didn't come off. Imagine if we traded 1 for 3 & Stephens. Could have had Thilthorpe at pick 3 and added another mid. Would have been a great deal. I would have taken that without the extra first rounder.
There's no way Sydney would have done that deal though

To be fair, it's the price we should be asking for, it's just that it was a good year to have any pick in between 1 and 5

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
There's no way Sydney would have done that deal though

To be fair, it's the price we should be asking for, it's just that it was a good year to have any pick in between 1 and 5
Bugger I was hoping Zavier was the one Hamish was talking about...

The Blues on Friday confirmed McDonald, as well as undrafted midfielder Zavier Maher and delisted key-position player Callum Moore, would train with the club during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP).
Maher, 18, was one of the unluckiest players to miss out on being drafted earlier this month. An inside midfielder with a long kick and speed to help him accelerate out of stoppages, Maher attracted ample interest from clubs that held picks outside the top 20 of the national draft but was ultimately overlooked.

The Shepparton and Murray Bushrangers Bushrangers product finished in the top five in the 20m sprint test at the Victorian draft combine.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

The Blues on Friday confirmed McDonald, as well as undrafted midfielder Zavier Maher and delisted key-position player Callum Moore, would train with the club during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP).
Maher, 18, was one of the unluckiest players to miss out on being drafted earlier this month. An inside midfielder with a long kick and speed to help him accelerate out of stoppages, Maher attracted ample interest from clubs that held picks outside the top 20 of the national draft but was ultimately overlooked.

The Shepparton and Murray Bushrangers Bushrangers product finished in the top five in the 20m sprint test at the Victorian draft combine.
I still feel like the guy that we're getting to come over is Kolar

I'm okay with it as a rookie project, he seems to haves some nice traits for a 195cm guy

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I still feel like the guy that we're getting to come over is Kolar

I'm okay with it as a rookie project, he seems to haves some nice traits for a 195cm guy
I haven't put Ayce Taylor out of the question entirely, highly unlikely but geez he was handed a poisoned chalice with the Covid etc.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles

I doesn’t necessarily rule him out for us, he probably had a few clubs offer a train on spot. And if you were him you would probably go where you had best chance of making the list, and at $1k a week whilst you are training, probably somewhere where you can get free accommodation.
In the event more than one club nominates a player for the SSP the lowest finishing team gets the player.
You would probably expect us to pick up someone who is training with us, but you never know. I know it’s different circumstances but Danyle Pearce and Matt Priddis trained with us and we’re selected by other clubs as rookies. So it’s possible.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I haven't put Ayce Taylor out of the question entirely, highly unlikely but geez he was handed a poisoned chalice with the Covid etc.
Looks like you were on the money mate, both Ayce and Sam Murray’s brother Nick from Williamstown confirmed to be training with us, according to Fox Footy website

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Looks like you were on the money mate, both Ayce and Sam Murray’s brother Nick from Williamstown confirmed to be training with us, according to Fox Footy website
Wow ,that was a bit unexpected but apparently Ayce made a good impression with our coaching group when he was on the rookie list....and really I think we owed him another crack.

Mego Red The club again doing what's fair and reasonable with Ayce.?

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
And some people around here wanted us to give up pick #1 for a top-4 pick in 2020 and a future 2nd. Idiots...
Settle down.

Depends if you want the trade to go through or not. What we asked for was what you request if you want someone to say no.

Obviously, we were just going through the motions and wanted to take the pick.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Wow ,that was a bit unexpected but apparently Ayce made a good impression with our coaching group when he was on the rookie list....and really I think we owed him another crack.

Fair and reasonable doesn't always equal smart.

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Random, but some Draft Central game notes on Borlase and Pedlar from PAC’s August 2019 grand final win against Henley:

#44 James Borlase

Borlase was terrific in the final term, warming to the contest at just the right time to play a key part in PAC’s win. The key forward led out really strongly and was a reliable target which Princes’ midfielders often looked to with quick kicks, taking the ball well at full flight. He booted two fourth quarter goals; the first coming early after picking off a Henley kick-in, and the second coming from a more conventional leading mark and set shot conversion.

#45 Luke Pedlar

Complimented Borlase well in the forward half, playing a touch more advanced and getting a sniff around the arc. He booted a fantastic set shot from range in the second term as PAC got on a roll, with his routine and kicking from distance a feature. Pedlar was also strong one-on-one and took a couple of nice marks on the move, making him a handful after quarter time.

Slackjaw

Debutant
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Mutineer, where do you see Taylor playing in the AFL (if drafted)? Is he just a half back with a bit of pace and marking ability? Cheers

Back