Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone seen him play and have an AFL comparison? Seems to be half way between Sicily and McGovern from the vids I have watched.

???

Seen him a few times live this year, and I would say he moves like Grimes with that sort of agility, but he is a better mark than Grimes. His marking is comparable to McGovern.

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The more I see of him and time the more time to reflect after the draft I’m really really liking this pick. I thought we’d pick Holland’s.
Welcome to Hawthorn DGB
Hopefully we get a stellar 15 year career

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Croad and Gibbo are better defenders, not to mention Lake, Hodge is getting a bit ahead of himself i reckon, although Harris Andrews is quite a good defender, its that dumb thing people in the industry do where they say every generation is better than the one before, rate them on the big games and big moments, not on the nothing games i reckon.
To be fair, he's entitled to an opinion, even if it differs from yours or mine. He's trained and played with all those players you've mentioned, so for him to make that comment, he must have really been impressed. There could well be some recency bias though

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More Dylan Grimes to me

If we get anything remotely close to Grimes we have hit the jackpot. Whilst I'm certainly no fan of the Tiges, Grimes is just one bloke I'd love at Hawthorn. He's a star. Rarely beaten, does all the right things.

If we get anything remotely close to Grimes we have hit the jackpot. Whilst I'm certainly no fan of the Tiges, Grimes is just one bloke I'd love at Hawthorn. He's a star. Rarely beaten, does all the right things.
In his recent interview he said he models his game on Grimes and Sicily

Handy mix

Grimes is a great defender, more a Stratton type when he was at his best but probably with a touch more pace. I've always liked the Stratton, Rampe, Grimes style of versatility in playing tall or small and attacking the contests.

The only thing that bothers me about Grimes is the amount he poses for frees. Genuinely my least favourite thing about players, used to bother me when Puopolo did it the same.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grimes is a great defender, more a Stratton type when he was at his best but probably with a touch more pace. I've always liked the Stratton, Rampe, Grimes style of versatility in playing tall or small and attacking the contests.

The only thing that bothers me about Grimes is the amount he poses for frees. Genuinely my least favourite thing about players, used to bother me when Puopolo did it the same.
Yet stratton never got the accolades and recognition grimes gets, prime stratton was better no doubt about it.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I want him to take Package in round 1.
I like Frost for him personally, big strong and fast is perfect for negating the flog.

DGB to take the third tall (if they even have 3) and just focus on being a threat in the air and counter attacking.

Back