Rumour Outgoing President set for job at AFL House

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee and my Triple M post about Eddie and Dan was banned by Mods who lack foresight. I rest my case.

He can't make decisions.
Made some pretty good ones on the fly in 2020. Got a season up and running, through to a successful conclusion against all the odds. Palachook may have assisted by opening up QLD for the AFL (cynical election vote winner), but all the hard yards were done by the AFL, with McLaughlin a huge part of that.

Made some pretty good ones on the fly in 2020. Got a season up and running, through to a successful conclusion against all the odds. Palachook may have assisted by opening up QLD for the AFL (cynical election vote winner), but all the hard yards were done by the AFL, with McLaughlin a huge part of that.

Did he really though?

When you can't travel the logical step is to play the games in one place, which means getting the players in that one place, which means getting them somewhere to stay and so on.

Sure it worked out well, but it really wasn't some masterstroke nobody else with half a brain (and a whole office full of lackeys) wouldn't have worked out.

Did he really though?

When you can't travel the logical step is to play the games in one place, which means getting the players in that one place, which means getting them somewhere to stay and so on.

Sure it worked out well, but it really wasn't some masterstroke nobody else with half a brain (and a whole office full of lackeys) wouldn't have worked out.
So basically, good decision = not him, bad decision = him?

He had to protect the TV money, and Dan and Palaschook are ALP buddies. Gladys offered to host games but Dan didn't want that

I think everyone bar Collingwood should shudder at the thought. Ed would wear his Collingwood Guernsey under his suit, along with his bucks underwear.
Interesting comment. Does Buck's wear underwear? Someone ought ask him & report back.
An wise old man once told me that blokes who play a lot of sport, have a way higher proportion of daughters due to "hotballs." Freeballers have more sons apparently. Bucks has a couple of lads, doesn't he? Fair bet he's a freeballer. It's not an exact science.

Interesting comment. Does Buck's wear underwear? Someone ought ask him & report back.
An wise old man once told me that blokes who play a lot of sport, have a way higher proportion of daughters due to "hotballs." Freeballers have more sons apparently. Bucks has a couple of lads, doesn't he? Fair bet he's a freeballer. It's not an exact science.

i heard it was to do with birds and bees and s**t

I meant as in, he wears underwear with a picture of Buckley on them. Like superman underwear because buck's is like a superhero to him.

Either of these 2 should be replacing Gil immediately!
The Brian Cook option would be an interesting debate. (Don't know enough about Brendon Gale.) I wouldn't argue about his success in developing & growing revenue, however I would be interested to hear, if his legacy has had any cultural effects on WC or Geelong. I'm not denigrating his performance per se, as I was overseas during his WC administration. I can only remember WC being quite conservative at the draft & finance was always an associated topic. I guess one could argue Ben Cousins & Co went off the rails well after 1999 & perhaps John Worsfold would have been closer to the situations. One could also argue , that club culture manifests over a longer duration. I say this because the next AFL CEO would have to focus on transparency with regards to the culture & administration. I'm not the biggest fan of this current AFL administration.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit rich of Eagles fans to take that moral high ground when I clearly heard them booing Adam Goodes during the last couple of years of his great career when he clearly pleased with fans not to do it.

I remember one game at Subi he copped it big.

In the goal square, gave Schofield a massive shove in the middle of the back and took a mark. Schofield was really pissed off at the ref for swallowing his whistle and yep.......the home crowd booed.

Goodes cheated and got away with it.

The ref was either useless or stupid or just protecting an AFL champ. Possibly all three.

Nothing racist about the boo's but that doesn't suit the agenda.

In the goal square, gave Schofield a massive shove in the middle of the back and took a mark. Schofield was really pissed off at the ref for swallowing his whistle and yep.......the home crowd booed.

The ref was either useless or stupid or just protecting an AFL champ. Possibly all three.

So in 2018 West Coast cheated when willie rioli illegally blocked Maynard and in turn won the premiership?

Oh, and they are called Umpires not Refs.

If Gale wants it, the job is his. Even before his resume as Richmond CEO he has long been respected in the industry and touted as a future executive of the AFL in some form.

Don't want to lose him, but it seems his next challenge if he wants it.
Interesting comment. Do you think there are no alternative candidates? What does "The Industry" really mean? Does he have experience in liaising with interstate management? My understanding is, apart from coming across from Tasmania, he has conducted his business from Melbourne as a one club player & executive. I'm sure he is respected in his circle, but from a cultural perspective, do you think he has enough experience of Australian rules Football on a national level?
I would be interested for example if he commented on the MCG / Victorian contract that resulted in the extended lease to 2057 for the financial benefit of 500 million. Did he speak out?
This deal speaks volumes about the current executive. The AFL has been gifted an amazing brand built from the contributions of Australian rules players, administrators & officials across this nation. In many cases for the love of the game. In 2018 Teams had $500 million in assets alone with WC, 77mil & Haw 66mil. WC were the standout if you included investments etc. In the meantime the AFL are , mortgaging a stadium, scrambling for cash, paying their executive millions & doing quick fix deals. OK, I realise the time line isn't accurate , but when you consider the AFL clubs also spend in 2017, 450 mil on their football departments, then questions arise as to the AFL strategy of long term investment & leverage of the AFL.
I believe the next AFL CEO has to have the business & cultural acumen across a national scale to grow the game but, to include communities out side of Urban centres to small country towns.
For example, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has vowed to help lower-level football competitions get through the financial crisis. The majority of lower-level football competitions around Australia are facing uncertain futures as revenue streams dry up, with amateur clubs and leagues more vulnerable than ever before. https://www.afl.com.au/news/390664/afl-to-support-country-and-community-football-leagues
The problem her is that Gillon McLachlan hasn't indicated how the AFL can help country football? Most small country towns can't afford 5g towers & even if they could they don't have the expertise to provide services. I believe the exercise of efficiency providing infrastructure & services to a few towns a year would improve the executive & give them experience in dealing with efficient low cost/ non profit models that would enrich its cultural brand.

I'm not disputing the respect of Brendon Gale, just trying to figure out if he has the vision to maintain Australian rules football on a cultural level whilst growing the AFL outside of Melbourne. The obvious service is " why aren't the AFL producing & distributing their own AFL game content.

Other Services: fitness classes, injury management, health services, management , Sustainable water management services for country ovals. Green room media service & training. the list is endless. The AFL has the leverage & resources to research models.

Interesting comment. Do you think there are no alternative candidates? What does "The Industry" really mean? Does he have experience in liaising with interstate management? My understanding is, apart from coming across from Tasmania, he has conducted his business from Melbourne as a one club player & executive. I'm sure he is respected in his circle, but from a cultural perspective, do you think he has enough experience of Australian rules Football on a national level?
I would be interested for example if he commented on the MCG / Victorian contract that resulted in the extended lease to 2057 for the financial benefit of 500 million. Did he speak out?
This deal speaks volumes about the current executive. The AFL has been gifted an amazing brand built from the contributions of Australian rules players, administrators & officials across this nation. In many cases for the love of the game. In 2018 Teams had $500 million in assets alone with WC, 77mil & Haw 66mil. WC were the standout if you included investments etc. In the meantime the AFL are , mortgaging a stadium, scrambling for cash, paying their executive millions & doing quick fix deals. OK, I realise the time line isn't accurate , but when you consider the AFL clubs also spend in 2017, 450 mil on their football departments, then questions arise as to the AFL strategy of long term investment & leverage of the AFL.
I believe the next AFL CEO has to have the business & cultural acumen across a national scale to grow the game but, to include communities out side of Urban centres to small country towns.
For example, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has vowed to help lower-level football competitions get through the financial crisis. The majority of lower-level football competitions around Australia are facing uncertain futures as revenue streams dry up, with amateur clubs and leagues more vulnerable than ever before. https://www.afl.com.au/news/390664/afl-to-support-country-and-community-football-leagues
The problem her is that Gillon McLachlan hasn't indicated how the AFL can help country football? Most small country towns can't afford 5g towers & even if they could they don't have the expertise to provide services. I believe the exercise of efficiency providing infrastructure & services to a few towns a year would improve the executive & give them experience in dealing with efficient low cost/ non profit models that would enrich its cultural brand.

I'm not disputing the respect of Brendon Gale, just trying to figure out if he has the vision to maintain Australian rules football on a cultural level whilst growing the AFL outside of Melbourne. The obvious service is " why aren't the AFL producing & distributing their own AFL game content.

Other Services: fitness classes, injury management, health services, management , Sustainable water management services for country ovals. Green room media service & training. the list is endless. The AFL has the leverage & resources to research models.
You've posed questions that no one here can answer.

If he wanted the job, he'd be one of the favourites. Of course thered be other contenders, its a bit of hyperbole when I said the job is his, but his resume would be assessed as any others, hes demonstrated with a strong track record transferable skills of executive leadership and transforming organisations.

You've posed questions that no one here can answer.

If he wanted the job, he'd be one of the favourites. Of course thered be other contenders, its a bit of hyperbole when I said the job is his, but his resume would be assessed as any others, hes demonstrated with a strong track record transferable skills of executive leadership and transforming organisations.
I confess the questions are probably more rhetorical in nature. The inability of the current executive to answer open unscripted questions tends to lead to these discussions. Whoever is appointed to AFL House, hopefully will push for more transparency & have a plan. Either way, as far as appointments, I doubt the next President or CEO could change the culture of media contributions while the Foxtel distribution model is supported. They are a cultural identity on their own.

I confess the questions are probably more rhetorical in nature. The inability of the current executive to answer open unscripted questions tends to lead to these discussions. Whoever is appointed to AFL House, hopefully will push for more transparency & have a plan. Either way, as far as appointments, I doubt the next President or CEO could change the culture of media contributions while the Foxtel distribution model is supported. They are a cultural identity on their own.

Whoever it is their net worth will go up 10x.

Because the first thing they will do is dip their toes is every business opportunity they can.

Then they will look at what is happening with the game and have 2 options:
- Meddle because doing something is always better than nothing
- Make decisions only when it benefits the game

So in 2018 West Coast cheated when willie rioli illegally blocked Maynard and in turn won the premiership?

And tPies fans booing at the time had nothing to do with racism.

That's the point being discussed.

BTW that decision was line ball, could have gone either way.

A very fine line between decisions.

At least it took a bloody good kick from the boundary to win it. I re call a blatant HTB free directly in front let go minutes later. They ignored that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back