List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Beatson's 2019 draft review video, he was saying they were getting Warner to work on his running ability.

In his AFL games I think he seemed enthusiastic about getting to the contest to physically impose himself but sometimes struggled to chase players down. I think it would be useful to be quicker to get to more contests and run players down to make a tackle. Although he was playing out of position.

He seemed to have solid skills in executing simple passes and handballs.

Gray is not in front of anyone. Gray, L Taylor, Thurlow and Clarke (infamous four) were brought into the team as mature experienced players to provide depth. Sydney had a policy of going to the draft to rebuild the team. These guys were brought in to provide experience if injuries occurred. If you look at 2020 none of these players were locks in our best 22. They were brought in because we had very little to no experience across all positions outside our best 22 players. Look at the list (attached) and look at how many games our depth players have (discouting the extra games some of our juniours played this year). If you discard the infamous four there is little to no experience. Over the next 2 years they will be phased out of the team as their job will have been done. To provide experience to the team while our youngsters get experience. I expect Clarke will be kept because he has proven himself, he is only 24 and is good depth.
View attachment 1029587
I'm surprised when looking at the list of our best 22. It's nowhere near as inexperienced as I would have thought.

I think the recruitment of Sheather and Warner is targeting the replacement of JPK. Hopefully JPK can pass on some knowledge to get one of those two guys to become our next inside bull. That role doesn't require too much finesse but you still need to find the ball. Both of those kids are definitely tough enough.

I think the recruitment of Sheather and Warner is targeting the replacement of JPK. Hopefully JPK can pass on some knowledge to get one of those two guys to become our next inside bull. That role doesn't require too much finesse but you still need to find the ball. Both of those kids are definitely tough enough.
Rowbottom is the JPK replacement. If Sheather or Warner is able to develop that will be a bonus option on top of him.

Will Gould, Elijah Taylor (now delisted), Dylan Stephens were ALL in the 2019 u18 AA team. Chad Warner wasn’t and was taken by swans at pick 39 in 2019. His highlights package was however impressive.

Both Campbell and Gulden played in the u17 futures game and Campbell was bog and Gulden was second bog in the losing side. That performance is beyond anything Warner has achieved thus far. Sorry but it is.

Although Warner is a year ahead I definitely wouldn’t say Warner is miles ahead of either Campbell nor Gulden
(The latter of whom in my opinion has been subject of misguided evaluation of ability based upon his height variously misreported anywhere between 171 cm and 175cm. He is 176cm.....well 175.8 if you want to be precise). Quite the contrary.
Fair call.
I was mistaken on Warner being AA.

In my mind Warner spent the last 6 months in the gym eating rocks.

Hopefully correct.

I think we're positioned perfectly to build our list over the next two years.

Looking at the silver lining here. We're anchored for the next 2 years with buddy's contract, and the uncertainty around how often he'll be able to play during that time. But that gives us 2 years to review our young developing list and continue to build it organically (as we've done over the last few years).

In two years time, we'll have a fair idea of which of our core group will become a critical part of our next premiership side. We'll have a fair chunk of spare salary (that hasn't been diverted into contract upgrades) and that will give us the opportunity to recruit 1 or 2 a-grade players to fill any holes and complete our side.

All theoretical, but if we get more right than we get wrong We slingshot our way into premiership contention. And if the 2020 draft is any indication, i think were well on our way.

Rebuilding through the draft solely is a trap and poor policy.

Trading for depth to play reserves.. going to be perpetually rebuilding.
They are different mixes of experienced and mature but being de-listed isn't a good indication of being depth and there's been plenty of experience around the club. Giving games to Thurlow and Menzel and then de-listing them isnt moving the group forward.

Not much harm in trying to see if we can get something out of one of these cheap recruits. They have all offered a look at being good players in the past so far we haven't turned these ones around. Given a chance and delisted quickly for not working out. Taylor is the biggest roll of the dice and he still has a chance to get right. He was actually contributing then in the Brisbane game did an ankle injury and back to sqare one.

I'm surprised when looking at the list of our best 22. It's nowhere near as inexperienced as I would have thought.
best.png

I think we have good experience across all lines.

However, I think it is a mirage. Buddy if injured and replaced by a player like Gulden would drop the average games from 99 to 86. But that is not the real problem.

Rampe is a gun and irreplaceable. But he is 31 next year. 2-4 years out of him. The rest of the defence is relatively experienced and youthful. With Gould and Ling, Brand and Fox etc no dramas. But that is not the real problem.

Kennedy is approaching twilight. But that is not the real problem.

The REAL problem is our talented but inexperienced mids. Rowbottom, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens etcare young.

Even in two years time we will be inexperienced. To win a premiership we need experienced mids. In two years time we will have a good midfield. We will also know the holes in our list. I expect we will target gun mids, players to get to the next level.

View attachment 1030383

However, I think it is a mirage. Buddy if injured and replaced by a player like Gulden would drop the average games from 99 to 86. But that is not the real problem.

Rampe is a gun and irreplaceable. But he is 31 next year. 2-4 years out of him. The rest of the defence is relatively experienced and youthful. With Gould and Ling, Brand and Fox etc no dramas. But that is not the real problem.

The REAL problem is our talented but inexperienced mids. Rowbottom, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens etcare young.

Even in two years time we will be inexperienced. To win a premiership we need experienced mids. In two years time we will have a good midfield. We will also know the holes in our list. I expect we will target gun mids, players to get to the next level.
In 2 years time the above mentioned mids,if they're any good will have another 40 odd games under their belts.

Not to mention we will still have Parker Hewitt and Florent, who are midfielders.

In 2 years time the above mentioned mids,if they're any good will have another 40 odd games under their belts.

Not to mention we will still have Parker Hewitt and Florent, who are midfielders.
and that will be good enough? I'm not a doom and gloom. far from it. I like the way we are biulding. What I'm saying is if we continue on this path, and I hope we do, will will be still short of a premiership. Without trading in gun players in two years timeish we will still be short.

and that will be good enough? I'm not a doom and gloom. far from it. I like the way we are biulding. What I'm saying is if we continue on this path, and I hope we do, will will be still short of a premiership. Without trading in gun players in two years timeish we will still be short.
Realistically we are aiming to be entering a premiership window with this group in a couple of seasons. At that point we will have a lot better idea about exactly how good the group is, what deficiencies exist in the list that need to be rectified with mature players, and that coincides with Buddy coming off the list. That should mean we are in a position to make a move on a player or two if necessary.

Realistically we are aiming to be entering a premiership window with this group in a couple of seasons. At that point we will have a lot better idea about exactly how good the group is, what deficiencies exist in the list that need to be rectified with mature players, and that coincides with Buddy coming off the list. That should mean we are in a position to make a move on a player or two if necessary.
That is what I am saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope gulden lives up to the hype

Still remember the hype around Brandon and the elite runner we had
What hype?
We took a kid at pick 32 with a 25% points discount that has been in our system as opposed to another relatively unknown who had to learn our way in two years. We’ve had a free hit so no hype but just discussion.
Hype is the bloke going out for dinner with interesting characters.

View attachment 1030383

Did you get that off twitter ?

We are considering and have tested former Sandy Dragon Ed Newman. He was expected to be drafted in 17 , but chose to stick with cricket. We could make him a Catagory B pick as he hasn't been in the system for 3 years.
Hopefully i'm on the right thread , as i thought it was a general thread.

We are considering and have tested former Sandy Dragon Ed Newman. He was expected to be drafted in 17 , but chose to stick with cricket. We could make him a Catagory B pick as he hasn't been in the system for 3 years.
We are also in contact with a kid who finished at the Ranges and was supposed to play at Port Melbourne last year. Unfortunately, with no season im not sure if there is still interest.

I didn’t think we have any Cat B spots left (Max 2?)? Perhaps we can promote one to make space.

I didn’t think we have any Cat B spots left (Max 2?)? Perhaps we can promote one to make space.
We would have to promote either O'Connor or Sheather as we are only allowed 2 Cat B.
All our Cat A spots are also full so we would need to promote a Cat A.
IMO only Wicks would be a good call to promote. Fox good enough for sure but he will probably be delisted in a year or two. Would require new contracts.
Too complicated.

From Matt Balmer’s 2017 AFL Draft September Power Rankings (https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/tag/ed-newman/):

#34 Ed Newman
?Inside Midfielder/Medium Defender (Mentone Grammar/Sandringham Dragons)
12/03/1999 | 183cm | 80kg
Previous ranking: N/A

Scouting notes: Was one of the best player in the AGSV school boy competition for Mentone Grammar and was Australia’s 13th man on Boxing Day and Newman is a high level underage cricketer. Possesses a very clean left foot kick and is smart at the contest. Can play across half back and rebound the ball if required.

Last month: Made his TAC Cup debut with 10 disposals and three clearances against Oakleigh Chargers. Against the Dandenong Stingrays, he won the first centre clearance and propelled it long inside 50. He finished the day with four centre clearances to go with his 21 disposals and six marks. Didn’t play on the weekend due to sickness, but should be a certain starter in TAC Cup Finals.

From Matt Balmer’s 2017 AFL Draft September Power Rankings (https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/tag/ed-newman/):

#34 Ed Newman
?Inside Midfielder/Medium Defender (Mentone Grammar/Sandringham Dragons)
12/03/1999 | 183cm | 80kg
Previous ranking: N/A

Scouting notes: Was one of the best player in the AGSV school boy competition for Mentone Grammar and was Australia’s 13th man on Boxing Day and Newman is a high level underage cricketer. Possesses a very clean left foot kick and is smart at the contest. Can play across half back and rebound the ball if required.

Last month: Made his TAC Cup debut with 10 disposals and three clearances against Oakleigh Chargers. Against the Dandenong Stingrays, he won the first centre clearance and propelled it long inside 50. He finished the day with four centre clearances to go with his 21 disposals and six marks. Didn’t play on the weekend due to sickness, but should be a certain starter in TAC Cup Finals.
Got rubbed out for the GF

We would have to promote either O'Connor or Sheather as we are only allowed 2 Cat B.
All our Cat A spots are also full so we would need to promote a Cat A.
IMO only Wicks would be a good call to promote. Fox good enough for sure but he will probably be delisted in a year or two. Would require new contracts.
Too complicated.
We do still have one Cat A slot open.

We do still have one Cat A slot open.
My understanding is rookie max no is 7 total. We have 7. Our spare is a senior list spot, not a rookie.
We can create a rookie spot by listing one of our existing rookies. For example, we could relist Robbie Fox.
There may be contract I'mplications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back