Delisted #32: Josh Eyre - Not offered a contract but will trial for SSP rookie spot - 11/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that assumed that NGA players would be less Caucasian? I always thought it was about giving people that wouldn't usually have been exposed to AFL someone to follow in the footsteps of. If I was looking at Brand and Eyre I'd be thinking they were non NGA draft picks and offers nothing to the promotion of the game in ethnic communities.

Am I the only one that assumed that NGA players would be less Caucasian? I always thought it was about giving people that wouldn't usually have been exposed to AFL someone to follow in the footsteps of. If I was looking at Brand and Eyre I'd be thinking they were non NGA draft picks and offers nothing to the promotion of the game in ethnic communities.
Less Caucasian, really? So to be indigenous is to be black? Fmd some people will never get it in this country...

As far as Indigenous people, it’s about representation and developing talent pathways. They typically already play footy and there are already role models (have been for generations).

It’s a matter of giving them opportunities and encouraging clubs to invest in talent pathways for Indigenous communities (particularly remote ones - I’m not sure what the value is in including Indigenous people in Victoria in the NGAs as they should already have support, access to pathways and be playing footy).

Other NGA players who have a parent born overseas in particular countries is more about what you said, exposing migrant communities to our sport and getting their kids into AFL talent pathways instead of soccer or whatever else.

Less Caucasian, really? So to be indigenous is to be black? Fmd some people will never get it in this country...
I didn't say anything about indigenous. I was of the assumption that NGA was meant to be for draftees that had parent/s who were not originally from Australia.

With the premise that it was to help promote AFL in communities that didn't have as much exposure to build on the population that were exposed to AFL. Obviously I was wrong.

As I was unaware to the indigenous side of things. If I was running the NGA program. I'd limit it to remote aboriginal communities. Like Lore said players that already have access to Under 18 Championships and NAB league teams should be excluded. I think Victoria and within 200kms of capital cities. To me even Tiwi is close enough to Darwin and with the NTFL those players have a good exposure to AFL with the number of ex AFL players attached to all the Senior/Junior clubs up north.

But apparently I'm a racist so what would I know

As I was unaware to the indigenous side of things. If I was running the NGA program. I'd limit it to remote aboriginal communities. Like Lore said players that already have access to Under 18 Championships and NAB league teams should be excluded. I think Victoria and within 200kms of capital cities. To me even Tiwi is close enough to Darwin and with the NTFL those players have a good exposure to AFL with the number of ex AFL players attached to all the Senior/Junior clubs up north.

Not sure anyone said you were racist 🤔 uneducated yes, but racist no.. so what does a 'remote' community entail? What does this 'access' to these pathways look like. Are Framlingham or Lake Tyers missions considered 'remote'? Does this access you speak of stop at the location of where someone lives or is there more to it? Please educate me on what its like to be Indigenous in a regional area of Victoria or NSW or SA where all this 'access' is available...

Not sure anyone said you were racist 🤔 uneducated yes, but racist no.. so what does a 'remote' community entail? What does this 'access' to these pathways look like. Are Framlingham or Lake Tyers missions considered 'remote'? Does this access you speak of stop at the location of where someone lives or is there more to it? Please educate me on what its like to be Indigenous in a regional area of Victoria or NSW or SA where all this 'access' is available...
I dunno about the missions or remote communities in Victoria, but in general if you look at Ugle-Hagan, Brand, Eyre and I’m sure several others, they were already in AFL pathways and got added to the NGA when someone discovered they had an Aboriginal grandparent. None of those are from remote communities as far as I know?

Maybe there are other hurdles that they face personally where they require more support in order to make it at the level, but it doesn’t seem like it when you put it side by side with Walla’s situation and how much he needed the support of Jane McDonald just to get his life together and finish school, let alone take footy seriously.

I have to assume available support is not unlimited and that being the case, those who need it most should be targeted for these programs over kids who are already in the system and would have been drafted regardless.

Your approach was always going to ruffle some feathers but you have a point in the sense that NGA is in place to get players into the system who would not otherwise be there. That clearly does not apply to Eyre or Brand. Both from footy mad households and entrenched in the underage talent development pathways from a long way out.

I suppose the issue then becomes quantifying what it is about being indigenous or from a first generation migrant family that makes a player eligible for the NGA. That's too hard and fraught with the risk of being genuinely offensive, and playing a game of sociology and maybe even anthropology that the AFL doesn't need to involve itself in, so I think it does just have to be a blanket rule open to everyone on the broad criteria.

The AFL has made the right call removing the NGA bidding from the first round. It became farcical this year and I suspect it would have been even more so if not for COVID as Eyre and Brand would both likely have ended in the first round range. Outside of that, there is so much individual preference at play that it doesn't matter and the bidding system works well.

Last edited:
Theoretically those aboriginal communities could be considered remote, but I would consider anyone that boards at scotch and part of the under 18 pathway no longer NGA. In that instance they have already been identified as potential draft talent and been given an opportunity to participate in education and sports development that exceeds a majority of the population.

To me it's about developing the communities and remote areas. Wadeye in NT would be a good example of an area that doesn't have access to NTs development processes either in Katherine or Darwin. When the AFL had its community program there, then there was definitely more community involvement and less violence. To me somewhere like Tiwi does have the talent identification as it's part of the NTFL and has access to many ex AFL role models.

Im all for indigenous communities but if the talent is taken out of that community and given endless opportunities does that develop the community in terms of culture and sporting endeavours? Or does it say if you are good enough a rich school will offer you a scholarship and you can escape?

To me the AFL should be promoting greater benefits in those communities. I'm uneducated so tell me what has the AFL/western Bulldogs put into Framlington? Is there increased exposure to sports programs? Increased funding for indigenous students to go to school in the region.

Im not indigenous. I don't know what it's like to be and live in those communities. But the premise of NGA appears broken to me. It shouldn't be about rewarding the once in a generational talent identified. It should be giving greater opportunities to a greater amount of the population thay don't have the chance to be part of under 18 competitions, don't have access to scholarships at elite school.

The greater good for the greatest number. NGA should be restricted to Rookie draft spots which are outside the the salary cap to give the untried talent the opportunity. As this would enstill more pride and community awareness than someone that would have made it regardless.

I'd encourage the AFL to work more closely with Clortarf/Gerard Neisham and use the funding for that style of programs. Giving indigenous students the opportunity to access sports alongside local schooling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The greater good for the greatest number. NGA should be restricted to Rookie draft spots which are outside the the salary cap to give the untried talent the opportunity.
Sounds good in theory, but may lead to clubs burying talent or not bothering to invest in their NGAs as the risk/reward profile is not in their favour (aside from the warm fuzzies of doing good in the community).

Sounds good in theory, but may lead to clubs burying talent or not bothering to invest in their NGAs as the risk/reward profile is not in their favour (aside from the warm fuzzies of doing good in the community).

Maybe it shouldn't be the clubs investing, maybe it should be the AFL. The AFL could take control away from the clubs for the NGA and they could invest directly into programs that help these young aspiring footballers. That takes all the funny business out of it with clubs burying talent etc.

And instead of clubs getting a free hit like the Bulldogs did this year, clubs could be given a different type in incentive, such as maybe a portion of the wage for a draftee in the NGA program doesn't come under the salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back