Fixture 2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an advantage playing away in R1. One of the complications of travelling interstate to play is the compromising of your recovery program from your last match because you have to travel. Solution- don't have a game before you travel.

Small bonus. What really matters is playing at home in Round 23.
Its more a bonus that it is a very winnable round 1.

Give us Richmond, Geelong, West Coast away in round 1 and it wouldn't be an advantage no matter how you spin it. But with NM away in round 1 and round 22 at home, then yes, absolutely that's a bonus.

Round 1 can be so flukey, there is no such thing as an easy kill.

Having said that, our record in round 1 is tremendous - won 11 of our last 14 and only lost once under Hinkley.

Edit: How's this for a stat - every team that has beaten us in round 1 since 2007 has gone on to win that year's minor premiership (Freo '15, Collingwood '11, Geelong '08).
Whatever our margin of victory, the Roos will be Noble in defeat.

Sorry - I've just been visiting the Dad jokes thread.......

I dont understand why they've called the Richmond Carlton game the traditional opening game of the season. Have barely done it for a decade, it is always a fizzer, and they would get just as good a crowd and TV ratings for nearly any other game put into that slot on the schedule.
Carlton getting a blockbuster in round 1 allows the AFL to maximise their fans, before they inevitably drop off from round 5 when it's clear they aren't making the finals yet again. Other than that there's zero reason to give them one. Even with that their fans would still have enough hope in round 2 to turn up in big numbers, before reality crushes their souls.

As per usual playing North away I'm sure we'll get rogered by the umpires, but if we can start their season with a smashing, I'll at least have a perverse hope that we can be the club to kickstart their unavoidable death spiral out of existence, as the AFL hopefully can't afford to prop them up in the current climate.

As per usual playing North away I'm sure we'll get rogered by the umpires, but if we can start their season with a smashing, I'll at least have a perverse hope that we can be the club to kickstart their unavoidable death spiral out of existence, as the AFL hopefully can't afford to prop them up in the current climate.

At least North away isn't frickin Tasmania, and with us playing Hawthorn down there in the pre-season, you'd hope we wouldn't have to do it again in the real stuff.

Great reward for our efforts this yr? *en crooks hopefully this means we will be home in rnd 23 and we will have Adelaide and north as double ups.

Carlton and Richmond have been playing the season opener on a Thursday night under lights for well over a hundred years.

You can't argue with tradition.
When Christopher Columbus discovered the MCG in 1066 the first thing he did was get Kevin Sheedy to organise a Thursday night game between Richmond and Carlton.

When Christopher Columbus discovered the MCG in 1066 the first thing he did was get Kevin Sheedy to organise a Thursday night game between Richmond and Carlton.

Meanwhile in Britain in the same year, Kevin Sheedy led the normans to victory in the battle of hastings, locking in essendon and collingwood for anzac day.

Last edited:
Season opener. ANZAC Day. Dreamtime at the G. Queen's Birthday. City-Country game etc.

We should run a book on the next thing to be shat out by Sheedy that will be hijacked by Victorian teams as an inbred monopoly.

My money is on Christmas in July.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 1
Sunday, Mar 21 STADIUM (NETWORK) EDT
North Melbourne vs. Port Adelaide Marvel Stadium (FOX) 1:10pm

Rd 2
Saturday, Mar 27 STADIUM (NETWORK) EDT
Port Adelaide vs. Essendon Adelaide Oval (FOX) 4:35pm

Rd 3
Saturday, Apr 3 STADIUM (NETWORK) EDT
West Coast Eagles vs. Port Adelaide Optus Stadium (SEVEN) 8:10pm

Rd 4
Friday, Apr 9 STADIUM (NETWORK) EST
Port Adelaide vs. Richmond Adelaide Oval (SEVEN) 7:50pm

Rd 5
Saturday, Apr 17 STADIUM (NETWORK) EST
Carlton vs. Port Adelaide MCG (FOX) 7:25pm

Rd 6
Sunday, Apr 25 STADIUM (NETWORK) EST
Port Adelaide vs. St Kilda Adelaide Oval (FOX) 6:40pm

A few thoughts:

- Double ups are good, all strong teams but nobody we shouldn't be able to beat.

- ANZAC night game should be pretty cool. Is the Monday a public holiday?

- An already locked in Friday night game is nice, I assume all going well we'll get a few more with some if the matchups we've got scheduled.

- Commercially it looks pretty good. Plenty of bigger teams at home.

- I was hoping the West Coast v Port Good Friday game was going to be a "thing", but we've been punted for Adelaide v Gold Coast. God forbid a non-Vic tradition is built up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back