Fixture 2021 Fixture - R19 & R20 confirmed, Saturday twilight (GWS) followed by Friday night footy (Syd)

The first half of the season is brutal. Fair chance we'll be near last at the midway point.

1608520429699.png

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
That's a tough start. We'd be 6 games in Melbourne and 5 games interstate by round 11, which is pretty much the travelling schedule of interstate sides.

West Coast, Port, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong all away.

The first 12 rounds are brutal. We'll be near the bottom for sure before the fixture opens up a bit.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The first half of the season is brutal. Fair chance we'll be near last at the midway point.
The first 12 rounds are brutal. We'll be near the bottom for sure before the fixture opens up a bit.

Doesn't seem that bad to me?

Port, Brisbane, West Coast & Richmond are all guaranteed losses, so playing 3 of the 4 as away games doesn't really impact us much.

Otherwise Sydney & GWS away aren't the worst since neither side is amazing. We've also got Hawthorn R1 to get us going, plus Freo & North back to back at Marvel.

WCE + Rich before the bye is probably not a bad thing, gets two very likely bad losses out of the way then straight in to a week off where we have a winnable game against Hawthorn on return.

I'd have 7 of the first 12 games as potentially winnable if we're not a shambles (and we shouldn't be); Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, GWS, Fremantle & North.

We're a bottom half of the ladder side, so I think the getting Port, Brisbane & West Coast away where we'd just chalk it up as a loss now is a good thing. Gives us some home games against more gettable sides.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Doesn't seem that bad to me?

Port, Brisbane, West Coast & Richmond are all guaranteed losses, so playing 3 of the 4 as away games doesn't really impact us much.

Otherwise Sydney & GWS away aren't the worst since neither side is amazing. We've also got Hawthorn R1 to get us going, plus Freo & North back to back at Marvel.

WCE + Rich before the bye is probably not a bad thing, gets two very likely bad losses out of the way then straight in to a week off where we have a winnable game against Hawthorn on return.

I'd have 7 of the first 12 games as potentially winnable if we're not a shambles (and we shouldn't be); Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, GWS, Fremantle & North.
I don't mind a difficult start because we'll clearly know where we're at by round 6. Still, it's a brutal fixture. We'd have travelled 3 times already by round 5.
Winnable means we're likely to lose about half of them. I'd only back us to beat North, Fremantle and maybe Hawthorn out of that group.

We'd probably be 3-9 or 4-8 heading into the bye with a percentage of 60, which means season is over. Not that we're expecting much this year anyway.

Conversely, with an easier back half, anything above 5-7 heading into the bye and we're a good chance. Only a trip to Geelong and a trip to Gold Coast after round 11.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mind a difficult start because we'll clearly know where we're at by round 6. Still, it's a brutal fixture. We'd have travelled 3 times already by round 5.
Winnable means we're likely to lose about half of them. I'd only back us to beat North, Fremantle and maybe Hawthorn out of that group.

We'd probably be 3-9 or 4-8 heading into the bye with a percentage of 60, which means season is over. Not that we're expecting much this year anyway.

Exactly, we're a bottom half of the ladder side regardless, so I'd rather have teams like Brisbane, Port & West Coast make up our away games, instead of Adelaide or Fremantle where we should be much more competitive, plus we split the Sydney & GWS games both ways, and get Norf twice.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
That's a tough start. We'd be 6 games in Melbourne and 5 games interstate by round 11, which is pretty much the travelling schedule of interstate sides.

West Coast, Port, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong all away.

Bring on the midseason draft!

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Exactly, we're a bottom half of the ladder side regardless, so I'd rather have teams like Brisbane, Port & West Coast make up our away games, instead of Adelaide or Fremantle where we should be much more competitive, plus we split the Sydney & GWS games both ways, and get Norf twice.
Hmm I dunno. I'd rather play Adelaide away and West Coast in Melbourne. Feels like we never play West Coast here.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hmm I dunno. I'd rather play Adelaide away and West Coast in Melbourne. Feels like we never play West Coast here.

In a year where we're going to be in the mix for finals, I'd agree with you. I'd rather take the likely loss over there in a down year, and get a good matchup in a year where we might actually need the win.

2021 should be a year where we're worried about seeing players turning up and putting in each week, so having winnable games throughout the season at home helps us much more than having a strong side that should beat us anywhere at home.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
So the double ups are good but the first half of the season sucks. Mind you, we had the most friendly start to the season in 2020 you could ask for. Best to finish bottom 4 and then re-build anyway.

We had a lot of away games in 2020 so actually 2021 seems a lot better ;)

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
The problem is we could be 3 or 4 wins after the first half and belted but then storm home with a strong second half to delude the fanbase 2022 is our year.
I imagine if we are 3w and 8L, it will be time to blood the kids.

Also if we are in Geelong they mustnt expect crowds to get back to capacity this year

Back