Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Nowhere was it actually proven that we wanted anything but "two good firsts". They weren't specified whether they were this years or nexts, hell they weren't even specified that they HAD to be yours. You're only going off assumptions, same as everyone else.

If I was a gambling man I'd say 7&8 probably would have got it done, IF they were dealt in enough time for us to actually do anything with them re: shuffling them to next year, but seeing as Dodo sat on this deal for 2.5 days without even moving from one first rounder (that he didn't even have yet!) to his bullshit final offer of 7 and 2021 second, nothing could have been done in that time even if he did offer them.

And as for the 3-way deal, given how our deal with the Pies ended up, you can see exactly why Power didn't accept an offer devised by Guy and Dodo to get max value for an "unwanted" player that eventually got traded for half that, and skin us on value for a contracted and wanted gun player.
I can't be bothered looking for it, but Dodoro confirmed what Bulldogs wanted. Essendon wanted to give 7 and a future second. Bulldogs wanted the future first instead of the future second. That's why the deal fell through.

7 & 8 is still ridiculously overs and there's no way Dunkley is worth that, but saying it was two of Cox, Perkins and Reid for Dunkley is inaccurate, even if all three become stars and Dunkley doesn't.

It's one of those 3 and our future first. I'm really not going to go into circles about this. It's done.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, you did. You wanted pick 8 + our future 1st. Dodoro confirmed this.
So isn’t everyone agreeing with the North poster? His point was Essendon weren’t willing to part with any combination of 2 good firsts despite having 3 this year and 1 next. The only way to currently objectively judge is 2 of those players vs Dunkley. No one knows where Essendon finish next year but there are some very average teams around that bottom half.
We wanted next years first once it dragged into the second week and you were still offering just 8, we were running out of time to do much with this years firsts.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't be bothered looking for it, but Dodoro confirmed what Bulldogs wanted. Essendon wanted to give 7 and a future second. Bulldogs wanted the future first instead of the future second. That's why the deal fell through.

7 & 8 is still ridiculously overs and there's no way Dunkley is worth that, but saying it was two of Cox, Perkins and Reid for Dunkley is inaccurate, even if all three become stars and Dunkley doesn't.

It's one of those 3 and our future first. I'm really not going to go into circles about this. It's done.
Yep because 7 and a future second isn’t 2 good firsts which was the price. It could never have happened and I have no idea why it’s still being discussed. I might thread ban myself.

Yep because 7 and a future second isn’t 2 good firsts which was the price. It could never have happened and I have no idea why it’s still being discussed. I might thread ban myself.
At the start of trade period your list manager told radio that the price was two good firsts, and then refused to comment on what the actual deal was after the trade period was done.

According to Essendon’s list manager, yours told Essendon your final ask was their future first round pick as part of the deal, which they weren’t willing to part with.

Iirc the “ITKs” were saying Collingwood’s future first wasn’t good enough, which is why you wanted to separate the deal from Treloar, and that any firsts this year weren’t acceptable.

Last edited:

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
seems only Essendon supporters still want to discuss a Trade that was never going to happen. Over the moon that Sam power said two first rounders is the price and stuck to it

seems only Essendon supporters still want to discuss a Trade that was never going to happen. Over the moon that Sam power said two first rounders is the price and stuck to it
Thread was bumped by a North poster.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
At the start of trade period your list manager told radio that the price was two good firsts, and then refused to comment on what the actual deal was after the trade period was done.

According to Essendon’s list manager, yours told Essendon your final ask was their future first round pick as part of the deal, which they weren’t willing to part with.

Iirc the “ITKs” were saying Collingwood’s future first wasn’t good enough, which is why you wanted to separate the deal from Treloar, and that any firsts this year weren’t acceptable.

We wanted to seperate from the 3-way deal because we could get Treloar done for much cheaper.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Now that everything is settled, we can probably look back at this failed trade.

Dodoro said Collingwood tried to get involved to facilitate a three-way trade.

“They (The Bulldogs) would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh,” he said.

Bulldogs

In - 2021 pick 2 (Collingwood's 2021 first), two seconds, a third + Adam Treloar
Out - Dunkley (and probably like a future second or third)

Collingwood
In - 2020 pick 8, (and probably Bulldogs' future second or third)
Out - 2021 pick 2, 2020 second, 2020 third + Treloar

Essendon
In Dunkley
Out - Pick 8, 2020 second

Bulldogs would have cleaned up that trade, giving them a top 2 pick two years in a row. I imagine Bulldogs would have probably given Collingwood a sweetener there as well, maybe a future second or third for Daicos points.

Interesting to look back at. We were heavily criticised for not giving up two firsts, but I'm glad we didn't do it considering how much Parish and Stringer have improved.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Now that everything is settled, we can probably look back at this failed trade.

Dodoro said Collingwood tried to get involved to facilitate a three-way trade.

“They (The Bulldogs) would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh,” he said.

Bulldogs

In - 2021 pick 2 (Collingwood's 2021 first), two seconds, a third + Adam Treloar
Out - Dunkley (and probably like a future second or third)

Collingwood
In - 2020 pick 8, (and probably Bulldogs' future second or third)
Out - 2021 pick 2, 2020 second, 2020 third + Treloar

Essendon
In Dunkley
Out - Pick 8, 2020 second

Bulldogs would have cleaned up that trade, giving them a top 2 pick two years in a row. I imagine Bulldogs would have probably given Collingwood a sweetener there as well, maybe a future second or third for Daicos points.

Interesting to look back at. We were heavily criticised for not giving up two firsts, but I'm glad we didn't do it considering how much Parish and Stringer have improved.

Lol Collingwood get completely and utterly reamed. I think all parties are content with how it played out. I’d say your post will yet again heat things up after it finally settled down 🤣

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol Collingwood get completely and utterly reamed. I think all parties are content with how it played out. I’d say your post will yet again heat things up after it finally settled down 🤣
Nah I don't think it heats things up considering we have a final coming up. Dogs and Essendon would both be reasonably happy with the result. Collingwood gave GWS pick 2 for no reason any way lol.

I just posted this because people were criticising Dodoro for walking away when the deal didn't go through and it turned out to be the correct thing to do.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nah I don't think it heats things up considering we have a final coming up. Dogs and Essendon would both be reasonably happy with the result. Collingwood gave GWS pick 2 for no reason any way lol.

I just posted this because people were criticising Dodoro for walking away when the deal didn't go through and it turned out to be the correct thing to do.

Yep agreed but I reckon 99% of the posters above are all in agreeance on this one.
the pies gave away pick 2 yes but they needed to trade this away regardless for more points for Daicos. I think they maybe could have held onto it this year though and got more for it seeing as though Adelaide want Horne.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep agreed but I reckon 99% of the posters above are all in agreeance on this one.
the pies gave away pick 2 yes but they needed to trade this away regardless for more points for Daicos. I think they maybe could have held onto it this year though and got more for it seeing as though Adelaide want Horne.
They absolutely should have kept it. I'd say a club would give up this year's first and a future first for pick 2.

Back