Your clubs 26 and under side

Remove this Banner Ad

Six that walk into every other team?

Vlastuin for sure. Short I think every team would make room for. Bolton if he holds his form. I don’t see any after that.

I struggle to work out the other three certainties for 17 other AFL teams. Not being a smart arse, genuinely interested who you think they are.
Noah Balta, on current form would walk into any club as would Bolton, Graham as well, stood up well in two GF's, and gave his all to get us to the 3rd.
We kept Castagna and Rioli over Butler etc for a reason, Butler was one of the Saints best, were a good club most clubs hope some of our on field culture rubs off as well as getting players that work hard.

There's been enormous turnover on our list recently, going from one of the top 2-3 oldest in 2019 to one of the top 2-3 youngest in 2021.

Consequently around two thirds of our list have played <25 games. Will be interesting to see how they go over the next few years. Plenty of unknown quantities, I find it very hard to rate this team either way.

FB: Laird McAsey Kelly
HB: McPherson Doedee Milera
R: O’Brien Crouch Schoenberg
C: Hamill Hately Keays
HF: Cook Fogarty McHenry
FF: Rowe Thilthorpe McAdam

Int: Pedlar Scholl Jones Murphy

Depth:
Def: Butts, Borlase, Worrell, Hinge
Mid: Berry, O'Connor, Gollant, Strachan
Fwd: Himmelberg, Frampton, Newchurch, Stengle, Davis

*Laird, Kelly, O'Brien, Crouch, McAdam aged 24-26 years, the rest are <23 years.

Last edited:
Now 26 years and under/ born no later than 1994 is an arbitrary number but hopefully gives teams enough players to select a best 22 pre the draft on Wednesday with the reduced lists.

keen to see who will be potentially looking decent in 3 plus years times

B: Hayden Mckay Young
HB: McDonald Corr Perez
C: Dumont LDU Stephenson
HF: Taylor Comben Garner
F: Turner Larkey Zurhaar
R: Xerri Simpkin Thomas
I: Mahony Jed Bonar Atu Scott
Do you reckon North will make the U26 finals?

There's been enormous turnover on our list recently, going from one of the top 2-3 oldest in 2019 to one of the top 2-3 youngest in 2021.

Consequently around two thirds of our list have played <25 games. Will be interesting to see how they go over the next few years. Plenty of unknown quantities, I find it very hard to rate this team either way.

FB: Laird McAsey Kelly
HB: McPherson Doedee Milera
R: O’Brien Crouch Schoenberg
C: Hamill Hately Keays
HF: Cook Fogarty McHenry
FF: Rowe Thilthorpe McAdam

Int: Pedlar Scholl Jones Murphy

Depth:
Def: Butts, Borlase, Worrell, Hinge
Mid: Berry, O'Connor, Gollant, Strachan
Fwd: Himmelberg, Frampton, Newchurch, Stengle, Davis

*Laird, Kelly, O'Brien, Crouch, McAdam aged 24-26 years, the rest are <23 years.

You look like you have a good coach, and that is a good thing. Lots of good picks this year and likely for another 1-2 years. From there we will be in a better position to judge the Crows, but imo, starting to make some good moves.

Doedee Milera Laird all look really good, Schoenberg great signs and improving, Scoll, Hammill, McPherson and others showing very nice signs in 2020. McAsey likely to be very good in a couple of seasons time as well.

I am quietly bullish about the Crows longer term, love how your coach handled himself this year.

Stack finished third in the Rising Star in a year thought to be the strongest draft in recent memory. Sure he had a poor 2020 for whatever reasons, but Curnow didn’t even play this season! If you pick say the best 5 games of all these young Carlton and Richmond potential elite players I think Stack’s stand up with any of them, so I don’t know why you would be having him failing the scruff of the neck test and them passing it….

Listing guys like Setterfield, Fisher, Cuningham, based on what they have done or how they are tracking, they are not looking elite, and not looking the next step below that. Setterfield and Cuningham are going to be fighting for their lives to play 150 games. That is how they are tracking. Fisher could be looking more promising but Baker and Graham are multiple Premiership players and have stood up well in the biggest of games.

Setterfield v Graham, I see you skirted around that, but why do you think Carlton made such a strong offer to Graham if they already have Setterfield on their list? Surely that means they rate Graham way above Setterfield?
That’s sort of my point. He has had one great season playing on a flank getting no attention. His second season he seriously struggled. He probably hasn’t done anymore then someone like Fisher to the same point.

We weren’t giving up Setterfield for Graham, we most likely were looking for a Curnow replacement which they are two very similar types. Setterfield has been injured most of his career and finally showed some really good improvement this year when he got a good run at it. I see him as a fourth type mid who isn’t going to be the reason we have any success or not but is probably good enough to be apart of it. It’s exactly how I see Graham.
Guys like Morton won his side a premiership, so did JJ, Boyd etc. they aren’t great players just in the right spot at the right time. Same as LRT being an unbelievable big game player. It’s like Collingwood and Essendon supporters talking about players in ANZAC day games. You actually have to be apart of them to get the opportunity. Pre 2017 you would’ve had no idea who was a good big game player because you had either constantly failed or weren’t playing in them.

That’s sort of my point. He has had one great season playing on a flank getting no attention. His second season he seriously struggled. He probably hasn’t done anymore then someone like Fisher to the same point.

We weren’t giving up Setterfield for Graham, we most likely were looking for a Curnow replacement which they are two very similar types. Setterfield has been injured most of his career and finally showed some really good improvement this year when he got a good run at it. I see him as a fourth type mid who isn’t going to be the reason we have any success or not but is probably good enough to be apart of it. It’s exactly how I see Graham.
Guys like Morton won his side a premiership, so did JJ, Boyd etc. they aren’t great players just in the right spot at the right time. Same as LRT being an unbelievable big game player. It’s like Collingwood and Essendon supporters talking about players in ANZAC day games. You actually have to be apart of them to get the opportunity. Pre 2017 you would’ve had no idea who was a good big game player because you had either constantly failed or weren’t playing in them.

It may be how you see Graham, ie = to a Setterfield. It is not how your club sees him. They made a top 8 in the club type offer to him. Setterfield is not anywhere near that.

Quoting one off Premiership players is not a good comparison to Graham and Baker. Especially Graham would be a 3 time winner now barring injury. But of the guys you list, Morton was just a player. The other pair, Johannisen is a really good player. Boyd was shaping as a massive player but had mental health issues and retired as a result. So the Bulldog pair don’t really illustrate your point. But I get your point, just playing in a flag or even multiple flags doesn’t necessarily frank a player as a better than average AFL player. McIntosh for us is probably a below average first 22 AFL player on the whole but has played in two flags. But Baker and Graham are really good players especially for 22 year olds. Not elite level, but tracking as potential $500k+ salary types and proven beyond doubt top 22 in high functioning teams.

It may be how you see Graham, ie = to a Setterfield. It is not how your club sees him. They made a top 8 in the club type offer to him. Setterfield is not anywhere near that.

Quoting one off Premiership players is not a good comparison to Graham and Baker. Especially Graham would be a 3 time winner now barring injury. But of the guys you list, Morton was just a player. The other pair, Johannisen is a really good player. Boyd was shaping as a massive player but had mental health issues and retired as a result. So the Bulldog pair don’t really illustrate your point. But I get your point, just playing in a flag or even multiple flags doesn’t necessarily frank a player as a better than average AFL player. McIntosh for us is probably a below average first 22 AFL player on the whole but has played in two flags. But Baker and Graham are really good players especially for 22 year olds. Not elite level, but tracking as potential $500k+ salary types and proven beyond doubt top 22 in high functioning teams.

We paid Setterfield $400k when he had done absolutely nothing. Marchbank likewise. Money is the only way we can attract players.
No one is saying they aren’t good players, it’s just I don’t think they are difference makers. We had a similar level player to Graham in Curnow while we absolutely rock bottom and a much better version of Baker at HB in Doc and a similar level type in Simpson. These aren’t the guys who get you up the top they are the types that are important role players when you are there. Lynch, Riewoldt, Prestia, Cotchin and obviously Martin are the ones who you need to replace. Even guns like Houli, Edwards and Grimes I think you can replace easily enough because they aren’t pivotal to being a good side. ( unfair on Grimes) Maybe pivotal in a premiership side but you would still be strong without them.
You have no one of that quality coming through and you haven’t drafted one for over ten years and the ones you recruited were somewhat lucky that GC had no reason to match and the other cost a top 5 pick.

Edit. Balta for Rance has been brilliant though so I’d say one down 5 to go.

Last edited:
Reminiscent of what was said about our list the year before we won 3 flags and during the time we won the flags.

A lot of unrecognised talent for a club coming off b2b, can't see us slipping a lot in the near future

Those players still wouldn't be much chop. You have had success on the back of those players around 30yo now and recruits brought in

Really? Who is it?

Stylistically, think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth, the Richmond U26’s I rate are as walking into any other team are;

Vlaustin is 26 & 8 months, is he even in this conversation for when the 2021 season starts?

Jayden Short - gun

Shai Bolton - better than many want to give him credit for.

Noah Bolton - bloke could be anything and already playing to a high level

That’s it. We can argue till
Blue in the face guys like Baker, Graham, Butler, Rioli but they appear role players. Good role players but not guys every club would trade anything for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen any of our other posters teams but something like (95 birthday or later):

Ross McQuillan - Zach Reid - Aaron Francis
Mason Redman - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Jordan Ridley
Kyle Langford - Darcy Parish - Zachary Merrett
Will Snelling - Harrison Jones - Nikolas Cox
Irving Mosquito - Peter Wright - Ned Cahill
Sam Draper - Archie Perkins - Andrew McGrath
Jye Caldwell - Brayden Ham - Dylan Clarke - Matthew Guelfi

With Cody Brand, Josh Eyre, Cian McBride and Nick Bryan all possible KPP's as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen any of our other posters teams but something like (95 birthday or later):

With Cody Brand, Josh Eyre, Cian McBride and Nick Bryan all possible KPP's as well.

Bolded have all not yet played an AFL game, geez that's a lot of untried KPP's.

B: Burton, Clurey, Leinert
HB: Houston, Alir, DBJ
C: Amon, Wines, Duursma
HF: Butters, Marshall, Fantasia
F: Woodcock, Georgiadis, Ladhams
R: Hayes, Powell-Pepper, Rozee
Int: Bergman, Bonner, Drew, Farrell,

Only Hayes and Bergman haven't debuted.

Pretty decent side that.

Surprisingly good and balanced

Just a ready FF missing

So, so bad.

Who is Ross McQuillan?

Lol who the fook is that guy...

And did I suggest North’s group are anything special? Essendon fans are certified snowflakes.
An Irish kid, as I said.

You're clearly spoiling for a fight. Just so you can beat your chest and go back to your own board and say "hur durr I showed that * nuffy who's boss". Run along now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back