List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the club should have wrapped up Hinge's signing before it moved on Witherden then. Seems a failure on the club's part if it moved Witherden on prematurely.

Nope. Hinge was offered a deal and he didn't take it. We're not overpaying for a sub par role player.

We were expecting/hoping Hinge would take one of those spots

And we were probably hoping Coleman would be a late bid

Simply saying that I think the reason we let Witho go is more likely to free up cap space that can contribute to landing another A grade mid rather than to prioritize a draft pick beyond 40.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nope. Hinge was offered a deal and he didn't take it. We're not overpaying for a sub par role player.
Fair too; I don’t think he was worth anymore years than the club was offering.

My comment was more to do with perhaps retaining Witherden if we knew Hinge wasn’t sticking around which is obviously moot now anyway.

It's probable the club didn't see either Witherden or Hinge ever becoming starters, and tried to keep Hinge because he was on a much lower salary. I think our present half-back options are fine anyway, with Prior now getting a shot at the first team. Plus the projected first round of the next draft is full of rebounding defenders who can kick well.

It's probable the club didn't see either Witherden or Hinge ever becoming starters, and tried to keep Hinge because he was on a much lower salary. I think our present half-back options are fine anyway, with Prior now getting a shot at the first team. Plus the projected first round of the next draft is full of rebounding defenders who can kick well.
Be good to see Prior get some games this year, but think it will be later in the season, as I don't know who misses out from the back 7 of the Prelim final and Gardiner has to come back in. I am not even including Adams as a permanent first 22 this year. Where does Cockatoo play? If in the backline then understand the club assisting in moving Witho on, even though I don't agree with moving on a player who recently signed an extension. Hinge obviously wanted longer than a year and moving back to his home state with a better chance of permanent AFL footy would also be attractive.
The difficulty for some of the young guys such as Prior, is if not in the side at the beginning of the season, coaches seem reluctant to change a winning team (fair enough), and after the draw I can see no reason why Lions won't be top 4 this year, especially if Daniher fires. Prior has just resigned (until 2022) and may have to continue to develop in the VFL and wait for injuries to get an opportunity. I do hope the young guys who are training well get some exposure in both the preseason games.

Be good to see Prior get some games this year, but think it will be later in the season, as I don't know who misses out from the back 7 of the Prelim final and Gardiner has to come back in. I am not even including Adams as a permanent first 22 this year. Where does Cockatoo play? If in the backline then understand the club assisting in moving Witho on, even though I don't agree with moving on a player who recently signed an extension. Hinge obviously wanted longer than a year and moving back to his home state with a better chance of permanent AFL footy would also be attractive.
The difficulty for some of the young guys such as Prior, is if not in the side at the beginning of the season, coaches seem reluctant to change a winning team (fair enough), and after the draw I can see no reason why Lions won't be top 4 this year, especially if Daniher fires. Prior has just resigned (until 2022) and may have to continue to develop in the VFL and wait for injuries to get an opportunity. I do hope the young guys who are training well get some exposure in both the preseason games.

Birchall is cooked and should be playing reserves next year.

Ah Chee improved as the year went on but he is not a certainty by any means.

Lester needs to retain the form he showed last year rather than in previous years if he is to hold his spot.

Starc needs to keep improving and not regress like Witherden, and to a lesser extent Answerth, did.

There are spots there if you are good enough for those outside the current 22.

Lester needs to retain the form he showed last year rather than in previous years if he is to hold his spot.
I think Lester's going to find it hard to retain his spot unless there's an injury or he permanently shifts to a different role. Payne is clearly on the rise and will be pushing for the shutdown defender spot, which frees Harris Andrews up to intercept and Gardiner is probably better than Lester at playing third tall.

I think Lester's going to find it hard to retain his spot unless there's an injury or he permanently shifts to a different role. Payne is clearly on the rise and will be pushing for the shutdown defender spot, which frees Harris Andrews up to intercept and Gardiner is probably better than Lester at playing third tall.
I am probably one of Payne's biggest supporters on this forum, and don't disagree with your comments, but I wonder why Lions signed Lester for two years.

Birchall is cooked and should be playing reserves next year.

Ah Chee improved as the year went on but he is not a certainty by any means.

Starc needs to keep improving and not regress like Witherden, and to a lesser extent Answerth, did.

There are spots there if you are good enough for those outside the current 22.
Think Starc is/will be a good player and possibly could move to the wing in late 21 or 2022? Where do you see Cockatoo playing in 2021?

I am probably one of Payne's biggest supporters on this forum, and don't disagree with your comments, but I wonder why Lions signed Lester for two years.

Better utility depth compared to others out there. Also - In spite of playing in 2s regularly, I think he was in leadership team. Says something about where the other players and club rate him.

Better utility depth compared to others out there. Also - In spite of playing in 2s regularly, I think he was in leadership team. Says something about where the other players and club rate him.
Yes your correct, he played a bit of a swingman role for a few years

Think Starc is/will be a good player and possibly could move to the wing in late 21 or 2022? Where do you see Cockatoo playing in 2021?

He is likely to be a bit of a utility I think able to go forward or back. I think he would be best suited to play Mitch Robinson's role. That is playing a wing/half forward role with license to go into the clearances at stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this year was Lesters best.. He also played the same position all year
The swingman thing can work for some and others need consistency.. Not to say he cannot play other roles.
Had a great year did a fantastic job on Jack in the Tigers final.

interesting everyone says Fagan wants players he can swing around.
The players who go through the mid do.. Although bigger guys stay at each end.
Only McStay went back the game Harris hurt himself.
Be interesting Payne, Adams, Fullarton and Ballenden in 2021 how many games they get
You think there be more pressure now on McStay.

Fingers crossed that the VFL/East Coast competition next season will provide a much improved environment for our younger players to develop and push for selection. Obviously, injuries will have a pivotal role in opening up spots for players on the cusp of selection as they did this year and last year. It was Gardiner's injury prior to the Prelim that gave us an opportunity to have a good look at Payne and prior to that Fullarton and Coleman. We have been absolutely blessed with minimal injuries over the last 2 years and I wouldn't want that to change but it limits opportunity for promotion.

I think this year was Lesters best.. He also played the same position all year
The swingman thing can work for some and others need consistency.. Not to say he cannot play other roles.
Had a great year did a fantastic job on Jack in the Tigers final.

interesting everyone says Fagan wants players he can swing around.
The players who go through the mid do.. Although bigger guys stay at each end.
Only McStay went back the game Harris hurt himself.
Be interesting Payne, Adams, Fullarton and Ballenden in 2021 how many games they get
You think there be more pressure now on McStay.
Fullarton was probably a little more optimistic prior to Daniher signing. Whilst not overly quick, Tom does have a good motor and could see him putting some pressure on McStay, and playing that forward link role.
Ballenden I still hold out some hope, if he can put on a couple of kilos in the gym and develops some mongrel, even though on the Rookie list think he can put it together and earn an extension with an eye to 2022..
Adams I don't rate and has been susceptible to injuries both with us and the dogs and unless Payne was not training well, would not even consider Adams over Payne. Payne just needs some consistent games and the backing of the coaches and I think he develops into a permanent best 22 for 2021, much like what Starc did this year and Bailey. As Fages said in a press conference, sometimes with the young guys they just need to believe they belong. Have Lester take Birchall spot, and yes probably correct Lester playing the same spot each week assisted with arguably his best year. Maybe Prior has to wait until an injury but at least will have a decent comp: to develop

Ralphy2017 I agree Ballenden has great skills just does not seem to have the Mongrel in him.
Fullarton I think could push for McStay spot. Save Daniher doing extra ruck work.

Lester not sure if we play Payne, Dizzy, Lester and Andrews down back.
I do wonder if Cockatoo is brought in to play off HB as well

We've got a couple of the older guys coming out of contract that would've been on quite good money I'd imagine as well
So what you thinking. Birtchell, M Robbo (potentially) Stef money from this year give us some space if Daniher didn't eat it all up. I agree we have something there but we have a few to upgrades to manage. I wonder if there is a thought to strengthen underneath our to 22 -28. Like back in 2004 where we had kept the team together then we had the inevitable crash. could we avoid the cliff face and continually build from within

So what you thinking. Birtchell, M Robbo (potentially) Stef money from this year give us some space if Daniher didn't eat it all up. I agree we have something there but we have a few to upgrades to manage. I wonder if there is a thought to strengthen underneath our to 22 -28. Like back in 2004 where we had kept the team together then we had the inevitable crash. could we avoid the cliff face and continually build from within
Yeah thinking the guys you've mentioned along with Zorko and Rich who I would assume will take a bit less money than they are currently on. I've got no inside info though so it's all guesswork on my part.

Daniel Rich has signed a one year extension to the end of 2022.

Not much has changed on this front with Richy being the only one extended so for, leaving these still waiting(thanks dlanod for player contract status thread) as >

2021:
Grant Birchall (R)
Lincoln McCarthy
Jarryd Lyons
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Dayne Zorko
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael

McCarthy, Lyons, Zorko(barring significant injury) are 100% locks to get another contract.

The one who I'd like to highlight and IMO was a possible/likely candidate for retirement at the start of the year is Mitch Robinson :brisbane: :hearts:, I was in the retire camp pre season but Mitch has been outstanding this season and if he continues in this vein of form has earnt the right at 32(next month) years of age to another year with us, Mitch bleeds maroon blue and gold.
1619899175252.png

The most probable de listings I see on the list of OOC players at this stage are Connor McFadyen, Archie Smith and Grant Birchall(retire).

Not much has changed on this front with Richy being the only one extended so for, leaving these still waiting(thanks dlanod for player contract status thread) as >

2021:
Grant Birchall (R)
Lincoln McCarthy
Jarryd Lyons
Tom Fullarton
Connor McFadyen
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Archie Smith (R)
Dayne Zorko
Connor Ballenden (R)
Thomas Joyce
James Madden (R)
Mitch Robinson
Brock Smith
Keidean Coleman
Carter Michael

McCarthy, Lyons, Zorko(barring significant injury) are 100% locks to get another contract.

The one who I'd like to highlight and IMO was a possible/likely candidate for retirement at the start of the year is Mitch Robinson :brisbane: :hearts:, I was in the retire camp pre season but Mitch has been outstanding this season and if he continues in this vein of form has earnt the right at 32(next month) years of age to another year with us, Mitch bleeds maroon blue and gold.
View attachment 1116600

The most probable de listings I see on the list of OOC players at this stage are Connor McFadyen, Archie Smith and Grant Birchall(retire).
Pretty sure Zorko is signing a new two year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back