BBL Substandard BBL Umpiring

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
Too often there has been woeful umpiring in this BBL tournament. Mistakes in every game. In a Shield game with minimal interest, they can get away with it, but every decision they make here is scrutinised.

If there are more experienced umpires from around the world that are available, they should fly them in.

As we get to the business end, wouldn't want one of the finals, overshadowed by a poor umpiring decision.

Additionally why isn't there DRS in the BBL?

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Too often there has been woeful umpiring in this BBL tournament. Mistakes in every game. In a Shield game with minimal interest, they can get away with it, but every decision they make here is scrutinised.

If there are more experienced umpires from around the world that are available, they should fly them in.

As we get to the business end, wouldn't want one of the finals, overshadowed by a poor umpiring decision.

Additionally why isn't there DRS in the BBL?
your not a ticked off Thunder fan still stewing over that umpires decision over White not being given out, last night are you;):p

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
your not a ticked off Thunder fan still stewing over that umpires decision over White not being given out, last night are you;):p

I'm just a cricket fan and feel that throughout the course of the tournament, the ability of the umpiring hasn't been anywhere near the ability of the playing.

It's like every time there is a near waist high-full toss or lbw shout they get stagefright and get the decision wrong.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wells still burning after Sammy knocked back his single last game.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I'm just a cricket fan and feel that throughout the course of the tournament, the ability of the umpiring hasn't been anywhere near the ability of the playing.

It's like every time there is a near waist high-full toss or lbw shout they get stagefright and get the decision wrong.

I think i have seen one LBW this BBL that I thought was out that was given not out.
A waste high full toss is a free hit and if batsman are not taking advantage of them then thats their fault. Don't think the umps have missed to many of them either.
By the way the DRS is not even close to being 100% accurate. Just because a computer tells me how high a ball will bounce does not mean how high the ball will bounce or its trajectory.
I love it without the DRS and the only thing i would change is this ridiculous wide call for a ball 10cm outside the leg stump, if there is a player or past player in the universe that can tell me they cannot score off a ball 30cm outside leg stump then they are idiots. Same with a ball over head height, if it just passes over head height that should not be a wide and the bowler should be entitled to bowl two an over, it can easily be scored off.
But I am a bowler and I understand its a batsmans game.
I reckon the umps have done a good job.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Where's the big cost? The technology is already here and available at each ground for international games.

The big cost is that even here we're depending on Channel 9 for the footage.

So until Channel 9 get the cameras out for shield matches then it's not happening.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
The big cost is that even here we're depending on Channel 9 for the footage.

So until Channel 9 get the cameras out for shield matches then it's not happening.

So Channel Nine own the DRS equipment, or just their own cameras? What's stopping Ten from putting their own cameras in place for it?

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So Channel Nine own the DRS equipment, or just their own cameras? What's stopping Ten from putting their own cameras in place for it?

Huh?

eth-dog was talking about First Class cricket eh Sheffield Shield.

For BBL there certainly should be DRS

For Sheffield Shield it's a waste of money

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The best umpires should be prioritised for international cricket happening, but otherwise yea they could probably bring in best available.

Think they look at it as a way to grow local umps

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
CA are happy to have tactical timeouts and all that crap but they're of the view that one unsuccessful review per team per innings is too time consuming. The cost of DRS is often mentioned as a reason for not having it but umpires are getting far too many decisions wrong to persist with a system aimed at removing the howler.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Agree they need to do something with the third umpire allowed to review the footage to overturn the howlers.

Problem is the cost. They usually rely on the broadcasters to provide the necessary technology, that is the problem.Maybe they could just have Snicko / RTS and whatever video footage is available.

There would be no ball tracking or hotspot. it would be too expensive to roll them out for every match.

Reviews wouldn't be much use for LBW. it would just be checking for edges. It was have overturned the howler tonight. But it won't be any good for overturning decisions on hitting or missing.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Umpires in all formats are losing concentration. In 50 over and test cricket they know they have a back up, don’t even have to watch for no balls now.
They simply have become witches hats.
They once had a job to get things right to a high percentage and they did that job, sure there was some howlers but we lived with them as we knew they got most right.
Now they get far less right that ever in the games history because they know it doesn’t matter and technology will sort it.
You get to the BBL and the same attitude is there but without the technology and we get these terrible decisions consistently.
Cricket umpiring in the modern game Would be one of the easiest games to umpire. They need to get back to letting the umpires be responsible and until that happens or if it ever happens we will see more and more blatant errors by umpires who are simply bored having to stand there.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
CA are happy to have tactical timeouts and all that crap but they're of the view that one unsuccessful review per team per innings is too time consuming. The cost of DRS is often mentioned as a reason for not having it but umpires are getting far too many decisions wrong to persist with a system aimed at removing the howler.

I’d be happy enough with a simple replay as DRS tbh. It’d all but eliminate the absolute howlers that we’ve seen over the last few weeks and be done in the matter of thirty seconds or so.

Back