Is Damien Hardwick the greatest coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG.

If you only have to beat 1/2 the sides because the other half have given up does that not make it easier?

Some clubs performed yes, Richmond was one of them, doesn't make them any tougher, just more resilient.
Ok, ... actually, never mind...

OK, in a normal season, everyone stays home, sleep in their own beds, training at their clubs’ facilities, playing in their own home grounds etc. This is easy, everyone can perform at their best, under these conditions! Then Coronavirus happens, everything gets disrupted, teams have to go to hubs interstate, play in empty stadiums, living in hotels etc. This makes performing at your optimum, as a footy player, really really tough.

There were clubs, like WC, which could not handle these conditions, therefore you can definitely say they were not mentally and psychologically tough, they couldn’t get going. And there were teams, like Richmond and Geelong, who showed real mental fortitude and determination, they adjusted to the tough conditions, and kept going, up to the grand final and-in Richmond’s case-beyond!

What you are saying is that Richmond and Geelong actually had it easier than during normal seasons, because the other teams were not performing at their optimum, due to the tough conditions.

In reality, it is way harder to perform well under tough conditions, than in optimal conditions. This what is what actually makes you tough and resilient. But you are arguing the opposite. That it is easier to perform well, reach grand finals and win premierships in hard conditions, because your opponents couldn’t.

Which is kind of silly and illogical and I hope you are seeing it now because, I am afraid, I cannot make it any clearer...

My team is one of those. And in no way do I think our effort this season was more meritorious than a team who made a grand final in previous years.

My team is one of those. And in no way do I think our effort this season was more meritorious than a team who made a grand final in previous years.
I do. In the past the line about Geelong was "Cats guaranteed a finals berth with X home games at GMHBA". This year we did it away from home and made it to a GF. That was meritorious

We get told that. It doesn't mean it's true. The players' hands and feet don't know they're on a different ground.

But who is telling us that? Also, don’t our hands and feet communicate with our brain? Who is informing our hands and feet about anything really?

Your Collingwood friend didn’t just say it was no harder to win a premiership this year. He/She actually said it was actually easier!

And then he/she started getting into semantics, which is what all people do when they are loosing an argument, about mentally tough and resilient being actually different! Is this a new development in psychology/psychiatry? Can you be resilient without being mentally tough?

I am afraid big footy reality is leaving me behind, oh for the good old linear times where white was white and not black and we didn’t have to be told by some mysterious beings about what is really happening, to us as a whole as well to our extremities...

But who is telling us that? Also, don’t our hands and feet communicate with our brain? Who is informing our hands and feet about anything really?

Your Collingwood friend didn’t just say it was no harder to win a premiership this year. He/She actually said it was actually easier!

And then he/she started getting into semantics, which is what all people do when they are loosing an argument, about mentally tough and resilient being actually different! Is this a new development in psychology/psychiatry? Can you be resilient without being mentally tough?

I am afraid big footy reality is leaving me behind, oh for the good old linear times where white was white and not black and we didn’t have to be told by some mysterious beings about what is really happening, to us as a whole as well to our extremities...

It’s not easier or tougher in any way except for who you’re up against. In any given year there will be draw anomalies, injuries, fixturing, all sorts of extra factors

OMG.
Do really think some players having family problems are not as mentally tough as others.

Is Gary Ablett soft(your words) because he went home?

OMG.
Do really think some players having family problems are not as mentally tough as others.

Is Gary Ablett soft(your words) because he went home?

Yes, but who told Garry Ablett that he had to go home? And did his hands and feet went with him, or they stayed behind because no-one told them that they had to go as well?

And did Garry have the mental toughness to deal with it, or was his resilience just enough, because it is a different thing and can operate independently from his mental toughness. Exactly the same way Garry’s extremities could operate without him!

Gee, I am starting to get the gist of big footy afterall…

Yes, but who told Garry Ablett that he had to go home? And did his hands and feet went with him, or they stayed behind because no-one told them that they had to go as well?

And did Garry had the mental toughness to deal with it, or was his resilience just enough, because it is a different thing and can operate independently from his mental toughness. Exactly the same way Garry’s extremities could operate without him!

Gee, I am starting to get the gist of big footy afterall…
You think mental toughness and resilience are the same?

Resilience is the ability to overcome situations, you can do that by being a cold hearted prick.

Just because someone cares for something or someone deeply, does not make them mentally weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly little mention of Malthouse here

Winning at multiple clubs a huge tick.

Coached Footscray for 6 years in the 80s. A minnow club in the era of brown paper bags. His final season in 89 their only losing year.

Eagles absolute powerhouse in 90's. Finals 10 years in a row. 2 flags from 3 grand finals. The one they lost (91) was after travelling to Waverley 3 wks in a row, after winning the minor premiership and 3 games clear on top.

Went to a basket case Collingwood. 4 grand finals in 12 years (5 if you include the replay), and the only true superstars he had were Buckley and Swan (exclude Pendlebury as he was 23 when Malthouse forced out).

Carlton struggled but don't hold that against him, all the great coaches had periods of struggle, Matthews, Blight, Clarkson right now etc.

If Eddie hadn't pushed Malthouse for Buckley with 2 years of coaching experience, they could've won another flag.

Rating coaches is difficult but few can boast a record like Malthouse over a long period at multiple clubs.

Let's see what Hardwick's doing in 10 years.

Surprisingly little mention of Malthouse here

Winning at multiple clubs a huge tick.

Coached Footscray for 6 years in the 80s. A minnow club in the era of brown paper bags. His final season in 89 their only losing year.

Eagles absolute powerhouse in 90's. Finals 10 years in a row. 2 flags from 3 grand finals. The one they lost (91) was after travelling to Waverley 3 wks in a row, after winning the minor premiership and 3 games clear on top.

Went to a basket case Collingwood. 4 grand finals in 12 years (5 if you include the replay), and the only true superstars he had were Buckley and Swan (exclude Pendlebury as he was 23 when Malthouse forced out).

Carlton struggled but don't hold that against him, all the great coaches had periods of struggle, Matthews, Blight, Clarkson right now etc.

If Eddie hadn't pushed Malthouse for Buckley with 2 years of coaching experience, they could've won another flag.

Rating coaches is difficult but few can boast a record like Malthouse over a long period at multiple clubs.

Let's see what Hardwick's doing in 10 years.
Great post.
Malthouses record is phenomenal.

His time at the Bulldogs did encompass the brown paper bag era, making it hard for small clubs to succeed.

His time at West Coast speaks for itself. Had a very good team but obtained success from it.

Collingwood he built from the ground up. Along with Eddie brought a professional era to the club and left Buckley with a great side that he chose to blow up to make his own, with limited success.

Carlton wasn’t a great time for him. He was on a hiding to nothing though with power brokers Matheson and Pratt sacking the fan favourite in Ratten. Woeful recruitment before and during this time didn’t help and not being a Carlton man made his job impossible. Eventually Matheson and Pratt made the call, with agitation from other Carlton men in the background. Them having three more coaches in the six years since will show he wasn’t to blame for their lack of success.

No one can deny Mick was a good coach. But winning 3 flags in 30 years doesn’t bring him to the conversation. If blind Eddie stuck with him, IMO I think he may just have snagged 1 more at the minimum. The pies were on fire. Such a shame.

Suprised at the left field venom from some Non-Richmond supporters who go beyond disagreeing with the premise of the thread.

Disagreeing is fine but to suggest a whole range of other things from circle work, deleting the thread to psychological issues is pretty low. Its pretty clear which supporters are poor losers and who Richmonds success does not sit comfortably with at all. Grow up!

Suprised at the left field venom from some Non-Richmond supporters who go beyond disagreeing with the premise of the thread.

Disagreeing is fine but to suggest a whole range of other things from circle work, deleting the thread to psychological issues is pretty low. Its pretty clear which supporters are poor losers and who perhaps Richmonds successdoes not sit comfortably with.
So then, you would agree that OP is "pretty low" that he can't think of one other coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back