List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Cerra, in 2020 he was the player that most impressed me with how well he played and his improvement (and there was a lot to choose from - Tabs, Brayshaw, Ryan, Cox, Darcy etc). We kind of all probably knew he had the skills, but his toughness compared to what I thought he would be was off the charts. He tackles and goes in as hard as anyone. He really looks like being our Cotchin. I was never a big fan of Cotchin, but you can't argue with leading a side to 3 premierships. Hope he stays the long haul.

Surely it's better to take the best available player and risk that they may go home than to reach for a WA player and end up with a Connor Blakely type.
We chose Cerra ahead of Naughton and Clark a couple of years ago from memory. A mistake IMO.

We chose Cerra ahead of Naughton and Clark a couple of years ago from memory. A mistake IMO.
On face value, Naughton appears the most apt selection, but at the time of his drafting, wasn't he on record for stating that he desired to be playing for a Melbourne-based team?

On face value, Naughton appears the most apt selection, but at the time of his drafting, wasn't he on record for stating that he desired to be playing for a Melbourne-based team?

Our future midfield would look beyond ****ed without Cerra in it.

Sure we have Brayshaw and Serong but even sh*te teams have 2-3 good mids...

So? He goes where he gets drafted. No 18yo should be dictating where they’ll play their footy.

The evidence suggests he's ahead of the normal development curve. It's not really the average standard to put together a top 3 B&F season for the vast majority of 3rd-year players. Likewise, you don't get to be top 5 in the B&F without a reasonable amount of consistency. Brownlow votes can often be a matter of recognition, particularly for players earlier in their careers, so using them as a standard may not be all that reliable.
Virtualy no evidence suggests he is ahead of the development curve. One decent finish is B&F is literally the only concrete thing anyone could point to. All his numbers, with the possible exception of tackling, are poor.
Finishing 3rd in the Doig is not a signpost on the road to him becoming the next Pendlebury. Him increasing his output so it is least better than average definitely would be.
Let me reiterate I'm happy we have him and in a good side his superior footskills and vision in particular will make him really valuable. He does the hard defensive stuff well to which is a bonus.
I just don't think he's showing signs of ever growing into a elite AFL onballer.

We took Cerra and Brayshaw over Naughton in 2017.

Clark went pick 15 in 2018 and we got Sturt with our first pick #17. We never passed on Clark as he was off the table already.

Virtualy no evidence suggests he is ahead of the development curve. One decent finish is B&F is literally the only concrete thing anyone could point to. All his numbers, with the possible exception of tackling, are poor.
Finishing 3rd in the Doig is not a signpost on the road to him becoming the next Pendlebury. Him increasing his output so it is least better than average definitely would be.
Let me reiterate I'm happy we have him and in a good side his superior footskills and vision in particular will make him really valuable. He does the hard defensive stuff well to which is a bonus.
I just don't think he's showing signs of ever growing into a elite AFL onballer.
Cerra is still riding the potential tag. Big season coming up for him. A lot of it will be up to Longmuir and how he uses him.

We took Cerra and Brayshaw over Naughton in 2017.

Clark went pick 15 in 2018 and we got Sturt with our first pick #17. We never passed on Clark as he was off the table already.

I think you must have a different Clark. Hunter Clark went a few picks after Cerra to the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you must have a different Clark. Hunter Clark went a few picks after Cerra to the Saints.
In the context of the preceding conversation I assumed the reference was to WA talent we passed on. Hence why I though of Jordan Clark.

I so clearly recall people saying similar things about Mundy - and even at a later point in his career!

On this Cerra valuable debate.

He is absolute class by foot and hand, and surprisingly good in the contest.

The previous poster has a point, would be nice if he got more of the ball. That’s what will make him elite. You take what he does with the ball and in contests, you add another 10 possessions a game and you have a top 20 player in the league.

Is he the 3rd best player at the club?
Nah, Fyfe, Walters, Ryan.

Is he top 3 most valuable?
Probably, youth has a lot to do with his, Fyfe and Walters are starting to hit the twilight of their careers.

I thought last year Cerra was too slim for inside mid, this year looks stronger again.

Clearly the club think he will be a top line mid with all the games he has been gifted early in his career.

The other thing is the stats can be misleading with his role, to me he wasn’t in a role of just hunting the ball - somewhat shown by his high bnf finish despite not racking it up week in week out.

"Virtually no evidence", except the rating of the people who would have the most intimate knowledge of what he does out on the footy field from a team context. Once more, he's a player in his third year and he's placed quite well in terms of his draft year. And using "decent" to try and downplay doesn't cut it. Third is a high placement, especially considering it was in front of Mundy and Taberner and the seasons they had. Who knows whether he'll be categorised as"elite" by whomever by the end of his career, but right now he does elite things in terms of his vision and execution, often involvement increases with development.

Last edited:
Mundy, Jonno, Crowley, Kepler all had their time as scapegoats on here and went on to prove us wrong. If Tabs can back up his 2020 he’ll be another to add to the list.
The issue with Tabs is staying on the park, he's performed consistently well the past few years just been blighted by injury. Confident he can back it up if he stays fit.

Sounds like your the one shifting goal posts for distraction by throwing out that one liner without any examples at least I provided some vague reason such as Mundy forward and Fyfe mid and now that JLo is coach it's Fyfe forward and Mundy mid.
But yeah Fyfe is a beast the real question was if you had to picka mid to play for your life of Neale and Serong who would it be?
You're ranging out a bit again. My original point was in response to yours', which essentially it was unreasonable to play Fyfe as no.1 mid over Neale.

Also I don't think it was as simple a case of Neale being "I want out", but more so of Brisbane putting together a really compelling and targetted pitch to him after Neale had been mentioned as possibly gettable in a regular wide-ranging conversation about players status etc.

Certainly, that pitch would've centred around his role and probably was along the lines of the Lions being "the place to grab the no. 1 mid role". But they'd also offer heaps more cash, outline how'd they'd ease the relocation - including opportunities for Julie to re-establish her business or whatever, as well as playing off their status as a buzz team and the invigoration of a new environment etc. I reckon that seed grew, was multifaceted and well established by the time Freo found out about it. You have to credit Brisvegas for the job they did in getting him there with that pitch.

As for your question re Neale vs Serong, I think it's only appropriate to return in kind and respond to your question with a question...would Neale transform us into a finals side this year or next? Because I'm not so sure he would've as he certainly hadn't in previous seasons. Serong-In/Neale-Out is really a timeframe shift and Serong buffers our future better than Neale.

You're ranging out a bit again. My original point was in response to yours', which essentially it was unreasonable to play Fyfe as no.1 mid over Neale.

Also I don't think it was as simple a case of Neale being "I want out", but more so of Brisbane putting together a really compelling and targetted pitch to him after Neale had been mentioned as possibly gettable in a regular wide-ranging conversation about players status etc.

Certainly, that pitch would've centred around his role and probably was along the lines of the Lions being "the place to grab the no. 1 mid role". But they'd also offer heaps more cash, outline how'd they'd ease the relocation - including opportunities for Julie to re-establish her business or whatever, as well as playing off their status as a buzz team and the invigoration of a new environment etc. I reckon that seed grew, was multifaceted and well established by the time Freo found out about it. You have to credit Brisvegas for the job they did in getting him there with that pitch.

As for your question re Neale vs Serong, I think it's only appropriate to return in kind and respond to your question with a question...would Neale transform us into a finals side this year or next? Because I'm not so sure he would've as he certainly hadn't in previous seasons. Serong-In/Neale-Out is really a timeframe shift and Serong buffers our future better than Neale.
The other part of Brissies pitch was life after football, and wanting to be mentored and learn about coaching. Not something that he would have had under Lyon I suspect

I don't think we've had a strong player-first mentality at the club in the past, but I think that's changing. Bell and Longmuir have a better understanding and connection with the players

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back