South Africa - Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's playing in that rubbish American T20 competition last I saw.
Wtf? The last time I saw him on telly, which was admittedly at least three years ago, he looked class with bat and ball. Did I hear Corey Anderson is looking to emigrate to the states, to play in that horse crap tournament too?

Wtf? The last time I saw him on telly, which was admittedly at least three years ago, he looked class with bat and ball. Did I hear Corey Anderson is looking to emigrate to the states, to play in that horse crap tournament too?

Don't start me.

Anderson is the biggest waste of talent that I can recall in the last 10 years - and that says a lot coming from a West Indies fan. At least Andre Russell is still somewhere in the mix at international level.

Parnell's last game in any format for SA was 3 years ago. He definitely had some natural talent but was a bits and pieces player, ie. not quite good enough with either skill to be a genuine Test prospect.

It's often forgotten because of the carnage at the other end but when McCullum smacked the fastest Test century in history, Anderson was his partner, taking them from 4-70 to 5-253 in 19 overs, Anderson himself smacking 72 off 66. It was just a glimpse of what he was capable of.

The fact that NZ had he and Jimmy Neesham in their system, and they've ended up with the very tough and handy but ultimately nowhere near as gifted Colin de Grandhomme as their go-to all-rounder is a travesty

Don't start me.

Anderson is the biggest waste of talent that I can recall in the last 10 years - and that says a lot coming from a West Indies fan. At least Andre Russell is still somewhere in the mix at international level.

Parnell's last game in any format for SA was 3 years ago. He definitely had some natural talent but was a bits and pieces player, ie. not quite good enough with either skill to be a genuine Test prospect.

It's often forgotten because of the carnage at the other end but when McCullum smacked the fastest Test century in history, Anderson was his partner, taking them from 4-70 to 5-253 in 19 overs, Anderson himself smacking 72 off 66. It was just a glimpse of what he was capable of.

The fact that NZ had he and Jimmy Neesham in their system, and they've ended up with the very tough and handy but ultimately nowhere near as gifted Colin de Grandhomme as their go-to all-rounder is a travesty
De grandhomme lmao. He looks like he's just come off a dairymilking shift on the farm whenever he rocks up to bat. Swinging to mid-wicket every other ball

De grandhomme lmao. He looks like he's just come off a dairymilking shift on the farm whenever he rocks up to bat. Swinging to mid-wicket every other ball

he does but I'll give him his due, he's a hard cricketer and knows his capabilities and limitations pretty well. For a player with the natural limitations he has, to average 37 and have a strike rate of 80 in Test matches is a pretty good return.

he does but I'll give him his due, he's a hard cricketer and knows his capabilities and limitations pretty well. For a player with the natural limitations he has, to average 37 and have a strike rate of 80 in Test matches is a pretty good return.
Yeah that's true, and he's just a decent slug away from basically being Tom Selleck so that's pretty cool

What's going on with Zubayr Hamza? Saw him play a test against India late 2019 I think and made a very nice 50-odd and thought he was one to look out for the future for them but he seems to have missed out on the squad.

I think de Kock needs to sacrifice the gloves as he's never been a fantastic keeper in any case, bat at 5 and let Verreyne keep, who has a pretty impressive record. Their best XI for me from that squad (not sure what the quota's are):

Dean Elgar
Aiden Markram
Rassie van der Dussen
Francois du Plessie?
Quinton de Kock (c)
Wiaan Mulder
Kyle Verreyne (+)
Keshav Maharaj
Anrich Nortje
Kagiso Rabada
Lungi Ngidi

Although Beuran Hendricks could be their guy to provide a change of angle.

What's going on with Zubayr Hamza? Saw him play a test against India late 2019 I think and made a very nice 50-odd and thought he was one to look out for the future for them but he seems to have missed out on the squad.

I think de Kock needs to sacrifice the gloves as he's never been a fantastic keeper in any case, bat at 5 and let Verreyne keep, who has a pretty impressive record. Their best XI for me from that squad (not sure what the quota's are):

Dean Elgar
Aiden Markram
Rassie van der Dussen
Francois du Plessie?
Quinton de Kock (c)
Wiaan Mulder
Kyle Verreyne (+)
Keshav Maharaj
Anrich Nortje
Kagiso Rabada
Lungi Ngidi

Although Beuran Hendricks could be their guy to provide a change of angle.

Hamza had a good start but was wretched in subsequent tests and although his domestic record is very good, he has not passed 50 this season so far. Hendricks was very good on debut and showed he could handle it.

Hamza had a good start but was wretched in subsequent tests and although his domestic record is very good, he has not passed 50 this season so far. Hendricks was very good on debut and showed he could handle it.
Josh Richards is another who could conceivably replace Dean Elgar, averages 46 with 7 tons in 24 matches. Ruan de Swardt has nice stats but despite having 26 FC wickets at 39 from 18 FC matches cricinfo doesn't really have any information on him either haha.

Yeah, Hamza's season does not look good at this point in time. That van Tonder kid could be a good player though, will look out for him in the first couple of tests.

Josh Richards is another who could conceivably replace Dean Elgar, averages 46 with 7 tons in 24 matches. Ruan de Swardt has nice stats but despite having 26 FC wickets at 39 from 18 FC matches cricinfo doesn't really have any information on him either haha.

Yeah, Hamza's season does not look good at this point in time. That van Tonder kid could be a good player though, will look out for him in the first couple of tests.

I was actually only thinking yesterday "how f***ing bad has Cricinfo become when players with 10-20 FC centuries don't even have a profile blurb."

I was actually only thinking yesterday "how f***ing bad has Cricinfo become when players with 10-20 FC centuries don't even have a profile blurb."
It's really sad. It's also sad how Temba Bauma always seems to make these squads despite averaging 30 with the bat for 40-odd tests...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really sad. It's also sad how Temba Bauma always seems to make these squads despite averaging 30 with the bat for 40-odd tests...

Yeah for a fair while he actually contributed beyond his numbers, his propensity to make runs when they were at an absolute premium for his side was enough to justify his inclusion as far as I was concerned. That contribution has diminished quite a bit

not mixing up Paul Adams ("frog in a blender" action) with Paul Harris? one was a left arm wrist spinner and the other a left arm orthodox.

I think i am, thank you.

With the list of quick bowlers at their disposal, albeit some injuries and a number lost to Kolpak, most notably Kyle Abbott, plus Quinten De Kock and Dean Elgar in the batting line-up there is no reason they shouldn't at least be competitive.

Obviously there has been some huge retirements with Steyn, De Villiers, Amla, Phliander so there is a clear comparison in terms of "changing of the guard" being similar to Australia post Warne/McGrath/Gilly era but I would argue the next generation the Proteas have had come through is stronger than Australia's next gen around 2008-2010, but I don't feel like we ever reached the levels of disarray South Africa cricket is enduring now.

With the list of quick bowlers at their disposal, albeit some injuries and a number lost to Kolpak, most notably Kyle Abbott, plus Quinten De Kock and Dean Elgar in the batting line-up there is no reason they shouldn't at least be competitive.

Obviously there has been some huge retirements with Steyn, De Villiers, Amla, Phliander so there is a clear comparison in terms of "changing of the guard" being similar to Australia post Warne/McGrath/Gilly era but I would argue the next generation the Proteas have had come through is stronger than Australia's next gen around 2008-2010, but I don't feel like we ever reached the levels of disarray South Africa cricket is enduring now.

Add smith, Kallis (a while back now admittedly but left a colossal hole), Morkel and now Faf to that list. It’s a lot of gaps to fill.

they are all over the place

Paul Harris is the one I think I was recalling, with the unique action. Tahir was relatively recent, and I recall him as being a good attacking spinner but could leak runs (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), which to me puts him well below the world class standard of someone like a Warne or Kumble, who could adjust line to focus on economy if they weren't likely to pick up a wicket but their bowling partners were. Just had a quick Wikipedia check on Maharaj, as the name is familiar. He actually debuted in Perth, but the reason why I don't remember him well is probably because he hasn't had a massive impact in tests against Australia. I don't watch as much international cricket as you (kind of how most weeks I only watch the Hawthorn game unless it's finals or another game that really grabs me) which does keep me at a disadvantage when discussing the other teams, but I'll make sure to keep an eye on him. He's at the age now where spinners traditionally come into their prime, so he's got the chance to make a real name for himself.
No, you were right the first time, Paul Adams, not Paul Harris, was the one with the Frog in the Blender action.

He also made Phil Tufnell look like a great fielder and batsman from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back