Is Damien Hardwick the greatest coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

No one can deny Mick was a good coach. But winning 3 flags in 30 years doesn’t bring him to the conversation. If blind Eddie stuck with him, IMO I think he may just have snagged 1 more at the minimum. The pies were on fire. Such a shame.

yes it does.

F*** off with this idea that it is ALL that counts.

What takes more good coaching, taking a historically awful, poor, unpopular and success allergic team to SOME sort of parity and competitiveness, or winning a flag that may have had a heap of other factors included in it.

It seems that when people feel like it, a flag can mean nothing (Scott, Longmire, Worsfold - coaches who get next to no recognition for the flags they've won), then suddenly it becomes the ONLY measure by which any AFL figure can possibly be measured.

yes it does.

F*** off with this idea that it is ALL that counts.

What takes more good coaching, taking a historically awful, poor, unpopular and success allergic team to SOME sort of parity and competitiveness, or winning a flag that may have had a heap of other factors included in it.

It seems that when people feel like it, a flag can mean nothing (Scott, Longmire, Worsfold - coaches who get next to no recognition for the flags they've won), then suddenly it becomes the ONLY measure by which any AFL figure can possibly be measured.

Funnily enough I agree with ya buddy. If it was measured by premierships, jock would be the GOAT. 7 in 37. Great effort.

Richmond was that awful, poor, success allergic team. Dimma gets the best out of all his players on a consistent basis. He makes them sacrifice their game for the team. And that’s only 1 of his open secrets. Sacrifice. For Dimma to achieve this type of success with the players at his disposal not only once but 3 times in 4 years in an 18 team comp is extraordinary with hopefully more to come. He’s the GOAT.

Funnily enough I agree with ya buddy. If it was measured by premierships, jock would be the GOAT. 7 in 37. Great effort.

Richmond was that awful, poor, success allergic team. Dimma gets the best out of all his players on a consistent basis. He makes them sacrifice their game for the team. And that’s only 1 of his open secrets. Sacrifice. For Dimma to achieve this type of success with the players at his disposal not only once but 3 times in 4 years in an 18 team comp is extraordinary with hopefully more to come. He’s the GOAT.

And I think he's an exceptional coach. But Richmond also have a LOT going for them provided they get some of their personnel right. They were always a sleeping giant. that doesn't in any way mean the old 'oh anyone could have done what he's done." Not by a long shot. But if given a choice as to how I wanted to boost my coaching credentials and the choices were Richmond a decade ago and the Dogs in the 80s, I'd certainly pick Richmond.

I like MM. Bumped into him many years ago and he exuded earnestness and optimism. He hated people not on his side, in his way. I can understand why many players would go over the limit for him. I always felt his years at the Doggies were pretty good considering. And the discipline and organization he brought the eagles was fantastic. Organised with room for his stars to strutt. 3 flags will eat away at him, he knows 4 is the benchmark for greatness. * you Ed McCcksuckr.

Not the first nor the last time a group of humans come together and just click. Awesome foursome, our mens swimming team, Brissy lions, Hawthorn, Our Hockeyroo's. The list is long. It is Richmonds time and like any other great team of humans it will come and then go. Enjoy it while we can :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the first nor the last time a group of humans come together and just click. Awesome foursome, our mens swimming team, Brissy lions, Hawthorn, Our Hockeyroo's. The list is long. It is Richmonds time and like any other great team of humans it will come and then go. Enjoy it while we can :D
and you dare to say that I don't care... I remember all... and you are welcome..

He is a very good coach no doubt. Good coaching to get the most out of his team, play to their strengths and exploit the rules of the league. All 3 things a very good coach should do.

I would like to see AFL implement a rule of 2 forwards having to be inside 50 at all times and see how he goes
Give them time, they introduced 6,6,6 after 2017, then shorter quarters this year and a couple more for next year. Eventually they’ll find a rule that will stop us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back