Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 23 for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As others have said hammer had similar problems when at Burton's age hopefully he comes good because when fit is definitely best 22.
And I know when fit is the problem at the moment.

Last edited:

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Just need 6 to 8 decent quality top up players for the Magpies. Should be easy to get..............oh wait! SANFL rules :mad::huh:
Yep and those Sanfl rules don’t allow us or port to play more than 16 afl listed at one time. Rule they brought in back in 2019. So every week has to have at least 5 top ups.

Mutha F

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You cant just play through a muscle tear or you will make it WAY worse and take multiple weeks longer to heal. Its unfortunate but Burton is injury prone and nothing will change that.
Burton's injury prone nature does question his position. No doubting his talent but he ain't much good sitting on the bench.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
Hartlett used to be as well.
I back our fitness department to get him good to go.
Burton's situation is a bit different. He had major structual damage to his knee and thought he wouldn't be drafted because of it. This is what is causing all the knock on soft tissue injuries.

Personally I blame the Crows since it was one of their players that caused the injury.

"Burton’s left knee appeared mangled after he crashed to the turf from a great height after he was unintentionally lifted up by an opponent while attempting to take a pack mark.

The ball had been kicked in by teammate Keenan Ramsey, who is now at the Crows, and while Burton grasped the ball in both hands he lost it as his leg fully hyperextended on landing, forcing him into a backflip.

His knee cap had “fallen out of place’’ and he initially feared he had torn his anterior cruciate ligament.

Scans revealed Burton’s ACL was intact but that he had sustained a tibial plateau fracture.

The break to one of the most critical load-bearing areas in the human body, just below the knee, affects knee alignment, stability and motion.

It was repaired by former Crows midfielder and acclaimed orthopedic surgeon Matthew Liptak, who inserted a metal plate and 10 screws into Burton’s leg to hold it together.

Burton also suffered knee ligament and joint damage, such was the force with which he landed in what was to be his final school game."

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Burton's situation is a bit different. He had major structual damage to his knee and thought he wouldn't be drafted because of it. This is what is causing all the knock on soft tissue injuries.

Personally I blame the Crows since it was one of their players that caused the injury.

"Burton’s left knee appeared mangled after he crashed to the turf from a great height after he was unintentionally lifted up by an opponent while attempting to take a pack mark.

The ball had been kicked in by teammate Keenan Ramsey, who is now at the Crows, and while Burton grasped the ball in both hands he lost it as his leg fully hyperextended on landing, forcing him into a backflip.

His knee cap had “fallen out of place’’ and he initially feared he had torn his anterior cruciate ligament.

Scans revealed Burton’s ACL was intact but that he had sustained a tibial plateau fracture.

The break to one of the most critical load-bearing areas in the human body, just below the knee, affects knee alignment, stability and motion.

It was repaired by former Crows midfielder and acclaimed orthopedic surgeon Matthew Liptak, who inserted a metal plate and 10 screws into Burton’s leg to hold it together.

Burton also suffered knee ligament and joint damage, such was the force with which he landed in what was to be his final school game."

That’s all well & good & provides a good explanation for his current injury problems. But selecting him for an important game when you know that he his a 50% chance of finishing the game on the pine is not good policy. As I said in previous posts he must spend time with our rehab blokes (even put him on the long term injury list) and when they feel he is ready, then he must put together multiple games with the 2’s. Only then put him in the 22
If he breaks down again perhaps it’s time to talk about retirement!

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ladhams Dixon Butters
Gray Georgiades Rozee
Duursma Wines Amon
Burton Allir Byrne Jones
Jonas McKenzie Clurey
Lycett Powell Pepper Boak
Marshall , Hartlett , Fantasia , Houston

Buget

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
F: Fantasia, Dixon, Gray
HF: Butters, Marshall, Rozee
C: Amon, Rockliff, Duurama
R: Boak, Lycett, Wines
HB: DBJ, Aliir, Hartlett
B: Jonas (C), McKenzie, Clurey

Int: Houston, SPP, Ladhams, Jones

Back 6: I have 7 defenders in the team, plus Houston, who I also count as a mid/wing, which does offer some game day depth. Burton should be in the starting 22 but I don’t know where he fits, especially considering he is built from glass. At his best, he could be the best half back in the game, with beautiful skills but just breaks down too often. would love to see him have a big pre-season and play a full year, easily one of my favourite Port players. Could potentially get a game in front of Jones, who I picked on Bigfooty reputation. It will be a bit of a log jam in the back 6 especially the smaller half back positions.

Center 6: Boak, Rockcliff, SPP and Wines makes for a big bull midfield, it maybe too slow. Outside pace in Amon, Duursma (with Huston rotating through) does attempt to balance that, but unless Gray and Rozee rotate through the midfield, the first big ball to out of form may find there way to the Magpies. 4 inside mids, 2/3 outside mids plus 2 part times mids does look balanced on paper.

Ruck: I picked 2, with Ladhams able to rest up forward as a 3rd tall option. He has a decent kick and good hands. I think Ladhams offers more to the team than Georigiades does at the stage. Lycett needs to be careful though, reduced rotations mean that a big lumbering tap ruckman needs to do more around the ground, with Dixon, who did share the ruck duties up forward and Aliir Aliir in defence, 2 rucks may not be needed (unpopular opinion).

Forward 6: no real surprises here, probably the easiest line to pick. For once Port Adelaide has talk forwards complemented by crumbing small forwards. I went Marshall as I think he works better with Dixon. Hopefully they have done some serious work on their leading patterns to stop spoiling each other.

Players I would like to see: Bergman, Georigiades, Burton, Jones, Mead, Williams. If a first-pick player goes down, I hope that they look elsewhere and not back to the Motlops, Mayes types.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
F: Fantasia, Dixon, Gray
HF: Butters, Marshall, Rozee
C: Amon, Rockliff, Duurama
R: Boak, Lycett, Wines
HB: DBJ, Aliir, Hartlett
B: Jonas (C), McKenzie, Clurey

Int: Houston, SPP, Ladhams, Jones

Back 6: I have 7 defenders in the team, plus Houston, who I also count as a mid/wing, which does offer some game day depth. Burton should be in the starting 22 but I don’t know where he fits, especially considering he is built from glass. At his best, he could be the best half back in the game, with beautiful skills but just breaks down too often. would love to see him have a big pre-season and play a full year, easily one of my favourite Port players. Could potentially get a game in front of Jones, who I picked on Bigfooty reputation. It will be a bit of a log jam in the back 6 especially the smaller half back positions.

Center 6: Boak, Rockcliff, SPP and Wines makes for a big bull midfield, it maybe too slow. Outside pace in Amon, Duursma (with Huston rotating through) does attempt to balance that, but unless Gray and Rozee rotate through the midfield, the first big ball to out of form may find there way to the Magpies. 4 inside mids, 2/3 outside mids plus 2 part times mids does look balanced on paper.

Ruck: I picked 2, with Ladhams able to rest up forward as a 3rd tall option. He has a decent kick and good hands. I think Ladhams offers more to the team than Georigiades does at the stage. Lycett needs to be careful though, reduced rotations mean that a big lumbering tap ruckman needs to do more around the ground, with Dixon, who did share the ruck duties up forward and Aliir Aliir in defence, 2 rucks may not be needed (unpopular opinion).

Forward 6: no real surprises here, probably the easiest line to pick. For once Port Adelaide has talk forwards complemented by crumbing small forwards. I went Marshall as I think he works better with Dixon. Hopefully they have done some serious work on their leading patterns to stop spoiling each other.

Players I would like to see: Bergman, Georigiades, Burton, Jones, Mead, Williams. If a first-pick player goes down, I hope that they look elsewhere and not back to the Motlops, Mayes types.
Pretty close to what I would have but would have Burton Infront of Jones .
Will also be interesting if we go with the 4 kpd or if we only go with 3 clurey could be in some trouble maybe Jones takes his spot at some stage.
Motlop unlucky but can't see who he knocks out good to have alot of depth.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, two players that will find it hard to be best 22 - Burton and Marshall. I know Todd has a lot of love showered on him by some of the Port faithful but it’s time for him to get more involved and Burton needs to grow a heart so that he can get through his obvious low pain tolerance when he feels the smallest of twinges.

Ever pulled or torn a hammy? It hurts for a reason.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Power

FF Ladhams - Dixon - Gray
HF Rozee - Marshall - SPP
C Amon - Boak - Duursma
HB Houston - Alliir - DBJ
FB Hartlett - McKenzie - Jonas
1R Lycett - Wines - Butters
Int Clurey - Bergman - Fantasia - Burton

Magpies

FF Williams - Lord - Woodcock
HF Motlop - Georgiades - Mead, J
C Bonner - Drew - Mayes
HB Jones - Goldsack - Frederick
FB Lienert - Pasini - Garner
1R Hayes - Sutcliffe - Rockliff
Int Schofield - Farrell - Burgoyne, T
...............................................................................................................................................
Top ups confirmed: Aldridge - Westbrook - Surman - Weideman - Wildman
Top ups tbc: Corcoran? - Appleton? - Strange? - Samblich? - Smith? - Thornton? - plus 2 others
Potential draftees: one perhaps?

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
DBJ - Clurey - Jonas
Hartlett - Aliir - Houston (L.Jones)
Duursma - Wines - Amon (Burton)
Rozee - Marshall - Butters
R.Gray - Dixon - Fantasia (Ladhams)
Lycett - Boak - Rockliff (SPP)

It seems controversial by the looks to be leaving Mckenzie out but thats who i have Aliir replacing. It could be said that L.Jones shouldnt be picked ahead of him just think hes a better mix for that backline.

It wont surprise me if Rozee is the rotating onballer and SPP plays more the HFF role. Fantasia allows Rozee further up the field now as their both similar types forward except rozee has the aerial ability but their speed, change of direction, goal sense is similar forward.

No disrespect to Rocky either but it also wont surprise me to see Rozee replace him and Rocky to be playing 2s with a Bergman/Mead/Motlop coming into the HFF role

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Power

C Amon - Boak - Duursma

Magpies

C Bonner - Drew - Mayes
...............................................................................................................................................
Top ups tbc: Corcoran? - Appleton? - Strange? - Samblich? - Smith? - Thornton? - plus 2 others
Surely you’re not serious with Rockliff with the magpies? Was one of our better players in the back half of the year. Assuming everyone is playing their best football, he is in our best 22.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Surely you’re not serious with Rockliff with the magpies? Was one of our better players in the back half of the year. Assuming everyone is playing their best football, he is in our best 22.
Almost universal agreement that we had too many one paced, slow inside mids - which clearly cost us dearly in the end.
So it has to be one of Ollie, Rocky or Travis that drops out, along with more midfield time for Butters and Rozee, to inject much needed speed into the midfield.

I happened to choose Rockliff. I saw him as depth, and we need to have him outsixe our best side if we are to improve the requisite amount to win a flag.

big boy jackavoy

Senior List
Oct 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn’t have him in the Maggies but I wouldn’t have him starting on ball he gets exposed against top 4 midfields I would move Houston or someone else with mid potential and play rocky off the bench

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Almost universal agreement that we had too many one paced, slow inside mids - which clearly cost us dearly in the end.
So it has to be one of Ollie, Rocky or Travis that drops out, along with more midfield time for Butters and Rozee, to inject much needed speed into the midfield.

I happened to choose Rockliff. I saw him as depth, and we need to have him outsixe our best side if we are to improve the requisite amount to win a flag.
I think rocky will be the 1 to be played on a game by game basis. If it's raining he plays if it's on a fast deck he might miss.
His a very smart player but his pace and lack of kicking power work against him.

Did it cost us in the end? My recollection is that we got smashed at the stoppages on a wet night where that glut of inside mids should've actually helped us!

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rockliff had a bad prelim and he wasn't alone in that.
The idea that we're just too slow isn't really the case, it's the poor ball use that killed us.

Did it cost us in the end? My recollection is that we got smashed at the stoppages on a wet night where that glut of inside mids should've actually helped us!

We only got smashed in the stoppages in Q4, and that was due to Lycett having one of the all time terrible quarters and conceding hitouts to advantge 6-0 (while also getting absolutely pantsed around the ground).

Last edited:

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Power

C Amon - Boak - Duursma

Magpies

C Bonner - Drew - Mayes
What happened to young Mahoney? I know he got a bad injury but should be ready to go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back