Mitchell and Breust are out, we won’t win a game

E44C2DB3-EEB0-4FBC-9AA0-19462A83C434.gif

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Just watching the 2019 prelim gws v coll. Philips looks awful. Beaten 1 on 1 every time and offered no support to team mates in terms of shepherding or a contest. Doesn't pick up an opponent when oppo coming out of defence.
Runs to space in every situation. Seems to kick well and make good decisions.
Really hope this isn't a typical example of him. I am excited to see him in our team as I heard good things.
Don't want to be negative so I hope our system sorts him out.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
You don't want to be negative but you just wrote a paragraph criticizing a player from a one off game over a year ago in terrible conditions for a player of his type...

Would hate to see what you have to see if you were trying to sink the boot in.

You don't want to be negative but you just wrote a paragraph criticizing a player from a one off game over a year ago in terrible conditions for a player of his type...

I know , right. Imagine having to trade out pick 65 for him

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Just watching the 2019 prelim gws v coll. Philips looks awful. Beaten 1 on 1 every time and offered no support to team mates in terms of shepherding or a contest. Doesn't pick up an opponent when oppo coming out of defence.
Runs to space in every situation. Seems to kick well and make good decisions.
Really hope this isn't a typical example of him. I am excited to see him in our team as I heard good things.
Don't want to be negative so I hope our system sorts him out.

Is there any reason why you didn't choose to watch one of his good games for what he will actually offer us positively?

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I would love to see a game of his where he played well. It is the only game I have seen of his. Are you saying this is not typical of his play in general?

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would love to see a game of his where he played well. It is the only game I have seen of his. Are you saying this is not typical of his play in general?

His entire 2018 season was excellent. Hard run and carry, linking up, winning contested ball. Also played within the limitations of his disposal.

Statistically his 2019 was very similar but he struggled a bit more with his disposal. Still did the other stuff reasonably well.

His 2020 was horrible. Played out of position, struggled to properly recover from his injury, continued to struggle with his disposal and lacked impact on games. It was by far his worst year since his debut year in 2016 (which was actually serviceable). Perhaps the hubs also took a toll on Tom? Or perhaps he just had a really bad year. 2020 was really an anomaly in his trajectory.

Regardless we'd be looking for an output similar to 2018 and I'm hopeful that the systems in place at the club may help improve his disposal because I think it's the only thing holding him back from being a great player.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His entire 2018 season was excellent. Hard run and carry, linking up, winning contested ball. Also played within the limitations of his disposal.

Statistically his 2019 was very similar but he struggled a bit more with his disposal. Still did the other stuff reasonably well.

His 2020 was horrible. Played out of position, struggled to properly recover from his injury, continued to struggle with his disposal and lacked impact on games. It was by far his worst year since his debut year in 2016 (which was actually serviceable). Perhaps the hubs also took a toll on Tom? Or perhaps he just had a really bad year. 2020 was really an anomaly in his trajectory.

Regardless we'd be looking for an output similar to 2018 and I'm hopeful that the systems in place at the club may help improve his disposal because I think it's the only thing holding him back from being a great player.
2020 was a s**t year for all endurance players, pretty much all player sin the wing position had down years.

Phillips’s output from 2017-2019 was as good as any outside midfielder in the competition. Since Round 1 2017, Phillips ranks 2nd in contested possessions per game among the outside midfielders just behind McCluggage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 disposals at 76%. 1 goal, 1 behind and no one had more tackles or score involvements on the ground.

Almost looks like the outside mid who can go inside that we needed.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
30 disposals at 76%. 1 goal, 1 behind and no one had more tackles or score involvements on the ground.

Kind of like a budget gaff. He played well and seems to have fitted right in with the way we want to play.

Kind of like a budget gaff. He played well and seems to have fitted right in with the way we want to play.
Yes, more please, Tom.

3rd most centre bounce attendances, just behind Worpel and Shiels.

Pleasantly surprised with his inside work

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is why I wanted Tom Phillips to hawks badly, he is very capable of these performances every single week. Just look at his seasons from 2017-2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back