Recommitted Rory Laird [signed 5 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's an AA midfielder next year? What about if that wildly optimistic scenario doesn't occur?

That aside, if he wants out, it probably won't be your call whether he stays. Hence the question.

Ideally, you'd want Band 1 compensation but that may be unlikely given his age. Short of that, you're probably looking at Band 2 or slightly better via trade.
I doubt Laird would fetch band 1 compensation.

Laird is happy at the Crows, but there has been talk about him going to Melbourne where his partner is from.

Tell it to free agency. Guys who are 27-28 at clubs down the bottom are duty-bound to consider their options.
Indeed.

Where did I suggest otherwise?

Gather much will depend on how much the Crows improve in 2021.

I doubt Laird would fetch band 1 compensation.

Laird is happy at the Crows, but there has been talk about him going to Melbourne where his partner is from.
So if not Band 1, then what? Accept Band 2?

Indeed.

Where did I suggest otherwise?

Gather much will depend on how much the Crows improve in 2021.
I'm just saying that the free agency system creates almost irresistible incentives for guys in Laird's position to look elsewhere.

Crows might have to pay overs to keep him.

If he's an AA midfielder next year? What about if that wildly optimistic scenario doesn't occur?

That aside, if he wants out, it probably won't be your call whether he stays. Hence the question.

Ideally, you'd want Band 1 compensation but that may be unlikely given his age. Short of that, you're probably looking at Band 2 or slightly better via trade.
Settled local lad well looked after and has twice been AA before..Id rather keep and think it would take a big offer to prise him away from SA no matter what. But who knows what the club is thinking after the way they treated B Crouch thinking of the possible compo they might have got?

Settled local lad well looked after and has twice been AA before..Id rather keep and think it would take a big offer to prise him away from SA no matter what. But who knows what the club is thinking after the way they treated B Crouch thinking of the possible compo they might have got?
Why avoid the question? It's not a trick.

If he wants to leave and you don't get Band 1, what would you deem an acceptable return?

how long is a piece of string?
That doesn't really cover it.

if he is in AA form then it will be a top 10 pick and if he is bang out of form it will be well less
Right. So that's where it will get interesting. Whether Adelaide push for a trade involving a first-rounder or suck it up and accept Band 2 compensation. Assuming he wants out, of course.

Tell it to free agency. Guys who are 27-28 at clubs down the bottom are duty-bound to consider their options.
Teams down the bottom usually have more cap space too...unless you are talking about Geelong, Collingwood or Richmond who's cap gas a lot of 'agility'.

So if not Band 1, then what? Accept Band 2?

I'm just saying that the free agency system creates almost irresistible incentives for guys in Laird's position to look elsewhere.

Crows might have to pay overs to keep him.
I doubt Laird will leave as loves the club... but it he were too, whether we accept FA compensation will depend both on his form & our finishing position... so at this stage no one really can say with any certainty.

Given the Crows are significantly under the cap, compensating Laird won't be an issue. Only other bottom clubs could offer him crazy money & why would he leave for a club no in contention?

Yeah so you basically end up paying overs to keep a guy who is 27-28 or cashing them in, hopefully for an early pick.
When rebuilding & well under cap, it's not unreasonable paying the senior players a little overs to lead the way with the younger players.

It's important we keep a core of experienced players around the club.

I doubt Laird will leave as loves the club... but it he were too, whether we accept FA compensation will depend both on his form & our finishing position... so at this stage no one really can say with any certainty.
Band 2 won't be affcted by ladder position. That's where it gets interesting. Take Band 2 or match and trade?

Given the Crows are significantly under the cap, compensating Laird won't be an issue.
There's no question Adelaide will have the cap space. The issue is whether you pay him overs to keep him or cash him in, hopefully for a decent pick.

Only other bottom clubs could offer him crazy money & why would he leave for a club no in contention?
It might not be a side that's already top 4. He could leave for a side that's mid-table but building, and therefore closer than the Crows.

When rebuilding & well under cap, it's not unreasonable paying the senior players a little overs to lead the way with the younger players.

It's important we keep a core of experienced players around the club.
I agree there's no issue with the Crows have the cash to pay him. The question is if he wants to stick around. And whether the Crows would be better off taking a pick, depending what's on offer.

I assume we agree that if an offer triggered Band 1, you'd send him on his way. Assuming the Crows finish bottom 4. That's a top 5 pick and Laird is out the door. But if it's Band 2, then there's a tricky decision to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Band 2 won't be affcted by ladder position. That's where it gets interesting. Take Band 2 or match and trade?

There's no question Adelaide will have the cap space. The issue is whether you pay him overs to keep him or cash him in, hopefully for a decent pick.

It might not be a side that's already top 4. He could leave for a side that's mid-table but building, and therefore closer than the Crows.

I agree there's no issue with the Crows have the cash to pay him. The question is if he wants to stick around. And whether the Crows would be better off taking a pick, depending what's on offer.
You keep ignoring that we are already the youngest team, so we would prefer to keep Laird than trade him... & we have had plenty of good picks in recent years so it's not like we need more. Ie. He is more value to keep.

Just a question of whether he wants to remain at the club, not whether we want to trade him out.

You keep ignoring that we are already the youngest team, so we would prefer to keep Laird than trade him... & we have had plenty of good picks in recent years so it's not like we need more. Ie. He is more value to keep.
I'm not ignoring anything.

I'm pointing out the reality that he will be a free agent if he doesn't sign a new deal. At that point the outcome won't be determined by what Adelaide prefers.

Just a question of whether he wants to remain at the club, not whether we want to trade him out.
Well, if he wants to stay, there's nothing to discuss. That goes without saying. He signs a juicy new deal and stays put. That's not the issue.

The question arises if he decides to explore free agency and the offer triggers Band 2 compensation.

Your answer is "nah we'd prefer to keep him". But if he's pursuing free agency, that's not really an answer. At that point, he's already expressed the desire to leave.

Youngest team? I’d be surprised if you’re younger than all of North, GC, and Freo. Essendon must be getting pretty young as well and Brisbane are often touted as one of the youngest.

Youngest team? I’d be surprised if you’re younger than all of North, GC, and Freo. Essendon must be getting pretty young as well and Brisbane are often touted as one of the youngest.
We have been listed as the 2nd youngest list... but includes Gibbs who is playing for South Adelaide... so exclude him, we effectively have the youngest list.

Last edited:
I'm not ignoring anything.

I'm pointing out the reality that he will be a free agent if he doesn't sign a new deal. At that point the outcome won't be determined by what Adelaide prefers.

Well, if he wants to stay, there's nothing to discuss. That goes without saying. He signs a juicy new deal and stays put. That's not the issue.

The question arises if he decides to explore free agency and the offer triggers Band 2 compensation.

Your answer is "nah we'd prefer to keep him". But if he's pursuing free agency, that's not really an answer. At that point, he's already expressed the desire to leave.
You mentioned we should trade him for a pick. I'm saying we wouldn't.

Will be very interested to see how this plays out if he explores his options.

Felt we should have been bold and put out feelers out this year, and got rubbished for it.

Should not be offered more than 3 years. Need to learn something from the Sloane deal.

Of course you would, if he wanted out and the pick was early enough.
If Laird wanted out the whole discussion is moot... as club will have no choice!

You suggested we should consider trading him for an early pick. I have said several times he is more valuable to keep & we already have the youngest list & plenty of young talent.. & his experience is more important

If Laird wanted out the whole discussion is moot... as club will have no choice!
That's the point.

The question then becomes, what price? Band 2 or match and trade?

You suggested we should consider trading him for an early pick. I have said several times he is more valuable to keep & we already have the youngest list & plenty of young talent.. & his experience is more important
FMD. If he exercises free agency and looks elsewhere, this goes out the window.

That's the point.

The question then becomes, what price? Band 2 or match and trade?

FMD. If he exercises free agency and looks elsewhere, this goes out the window.
No s**t Sherlock!

No one is going to argue that if Laird decides to leave the club should keep him.

The only worthy discussion is whether the club should keep him if they have a choice & imo the answer is yes.

No sh*t Sherlock!

No one is going to argue that if Laird decides to leave the club should keep him.

The only worthy discussion is whether the club should keep him if they have a choice & imo the answer is yes.

Laird will be a RFA if he doesn't sign a new contract. If he exercises free agency and there's an offer that triggers Band 2 compensation, Adelaide will have a decision to make about whether they accept that or match and trade. That's my point.

Your point is what? If Laird wants to stay, Adelaide should keep him and pay him. Obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back