Your clubs 26 and under side

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Francis, Zerk and Redman have regularly dominated the VFL and beaten some of the best forwards there. Essendon's lost one game to Coburg since going stand alone by under a goal and have an average winning margin of about 45-50 points against them. They've also been part of finals every year since 2015.

North however haven't made finals since going stand alone and hadn't made finals since 2015 when they were in alignment with Werribee... Though keep swinging and missing though, it's very entertaining

So they're simply good VFL players? Yeah, you really showed me.

So they're simply good VFL players? Yeah, you really showed me.
Why are you so obsessed with Essendon? It's quite amusing that all you do is sit here and wait for another Essendon poster to jump on and rag on them. Why don't you post North's under 26 side? Is it because Essendon's "pathetic" defence would keep them to about 5 goals and you're embarrassed by that?

I mean, we can't all offer superstars like Aiden Corr a 5 year deal.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Afforded 7 senior games? You would have played him more matches I am guessing? Despite him being clearly outperformed by three separate small forwards at Richmond...

Butler was rubbish in 2019, for whatever reason who knows. But the Tigers were sufficiently unimpressed to let him walk. And in case you haven’t noticed, he is not an All Australian. Or maybe Butler’s manager indicated he wanted to seek more opportunity or a bigger contract than the Tigers were offering.

But that is Butler, he is gone from Richmond and thus not truly a part of the discussion regarding their under 26 team. Rioli and Castagna remain. Why do you think Rioli and Castagna may have been preferred over a string of other forward options who had more goal involvements than them and roughly as many tackles and disposals as them when played in Richmond’s forward line? Butler, Caddy, Townsend, Aarts, maybe Bolton to a point in his career.

Does this not point fairly obviously to Rioli and Castagna providing something in their roles that is not apparent to commentators, TV viewers, and the general run of footy followers? Or have the Richmond selectors and list management team consistently got this wrong in your opinion?
OK, let's try this....

Based on what you saw Butler, Castagna and Rioli produce in 2020, who would you pick first?

Me? I'm going with the guy who made the AA squad and was extremely unlucky to miss the team. That is 'AA' Level. Ahead of two guys who wouldn't be in the top 30 small forwards in the comp.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
OK, let's try this....

Based on what you saw Butler, Castagna and Rioli produce in 2020, who would you pick first?

Me? I'm going with the guy who made the AA squad and was extremely unlucky to miss the team. That is 'AA' Level. Ahead of two guys who wouldn't be in the top 30 small forwards in the comp.
Yeah but Richmond

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, let's try this....

If you were going by this year alone and picking a new team anyone is going to choose Butler, including me, so that is simple to answer.

If you are Richmond though you are sticking with the guys who are getting it done over the bloke who for whatever reason sprung a leak in 2019.

2020 was a pretty unusual season and focussing back on Rioli he looked completely lost in the few matches after resumption. But his last 11 games from when he returned to the team were a very solid block of work.

So why don’t you have an honest crack at answering my questions which to jog your memory I will post here. Genuinely interested in your thoughts, and they are fair questions and on point to Richmond’s U/27 team:

"Why do you think Rioli and Castagna may have been preferred over a string of other forward options who had more goal involvements than them and roughly as many tackles and disposals as them when played in Richmond’s forward line? Butler, Caddy, Townsend, Aarts, maybe Bolton to a point in his career.

Does this not point fairly obviously to Rioli and Castagna providing something in their roles that is not apparent to commentators, TV viewers, and the general run of footy followers? Or have the Richmond selectors and list management team consistently got this wrong in your opinion?”

Edit:
Sam Lloyd yet another non-key forward with more goal involvements on average than Rioli and Castagna. We need to lobby Richmond to retrospectively remove those triple premierships from Rioli and Castagna and distribute them across these far more deserving players. 😂😂

Last edited:

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
If you were going by this year alone and picking a new team anyone is going to choose Butler, including me, so that is simple to answer.

If you are Richmond though you are sticking with the guys who are getting it done over the bloke who for whatever reason sprung a leak in 2019.

2020 was a pretty unusual season and focussing back on Rioli he looked completely lost in the few matches after resumption. But his last 11 games from when he returned to the team were a very solid block of work.

So why don’t you have an honest crack at answering my questions which to jog your memory I will post here. Genuinely interested in your thoughts, and they are fair questions and on point to Richmond’s U/27 team:

"Why do you think Rioli and Castagna may have been preferred over a string of other forward options who had more goal involvements than them and roughly as many tackles and disposals as them when played in Richmond’s forward line? Butler, Caddy, Townsend, Aarts, maybe Bolton to a point in his career.

Does this not point fairly obviously to Rioli and Castagna providing something in their roles that is not apparent to commentators, TV viewers, and the general run of footy followers? Or have the Richmond selectors and list management team consistently got this wrong in your opinion?"
They got it wrong. That's obvious to all but you.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone else getting really sick of Richmond fans hijacking so many threads? Richmond fans seem to think we want to discuss Richmond as much as they do. In truth I find clubs like Gold Coast, Hawthorn and even North sodding Melbourne more interesting from the point of view of this thread.

Haha you are sounding like a grumpy retired gent from Ivanhoe who writes letters of complaint to editors, councils etc. 😂😂

Besides, I’d have thought Richmond’s youngsters would be the most interesting thing about our club to the likes of you, given we have been raiding the draft year after year. 😁

To be fair, I will happily discuss your team’s youngsters with you, or any other team’s. But every opposition supporter just seems to want to discuss Daniel Rioli. 😉

How’s Elijah Taylor looking? 😳

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
But every opposition supporter just seems to want to discuss Daniel Rioli

Just your thousand word fan fiction responses about him really. Pretty much everyone else would agree he’s a fringe best-22 player, and nothing more would have been said aside from you

The point is, reading essays on your views of Daniel Rioli is much less interesting than what is going on at Gold Coast.

We’ll see whether Richmond do any better than Hawthorn once their best players all retire or slow down over the next few years.

I’d rate Bruest and Gunston ahead of any Richmond forward that isn’t Lynch or Reiwoldt, but they haven’t carried the Hawks on their shoulders once they lost the core group for example.

Geelong have done best at keeping the list competitive over a long time span, but Dangerfield was a gift and they haven’t managed to actually win the premiership yet.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Haha you are sounding like a grumpy retired gent from Ivanhoe who writes letters of complaint to editors, councils etc. 😂😂

Besides, I’d have thought Richmond’s youngsters would be the most interesting thing about our club to the likes of you, given we have been raiding the draft year after year. 😁

To be fair, I will happily discuss your team’s youngsters with you, or any other team’s. But every opposition supporter just seems to want to discuss Daniel Rioli. 😉

How’s Elijah Taylor looking? 😳

Taylor is gone, just like any player convicted of domestic violence should be. No place for that at my club, or the AFL in general.

Also for this thread I do find clubs like Gold Coast far more interesting. They have a potentially scary midfield with the likes of Rowell, Anderson, Holland's, Bowes, Ainsworth, a very strong looking key forward in King and potentially Lukosius if he is moved forward from defence and a lot of other handy younger players as well.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Taylor is gone, just like any player convicted of domestic violence should be. No place for that at my club, or the AFL in general.

Also for this thread I do find clubs like Gold Coast far more interesting. They have a potentially scary midfield with the likes of Rowell, Anderson, Holland's, Bowes, Ainsworth, a very strong looking key forward in King and potentially Lukosius if he is moved forward from defence and a lot of other handy younger players as well.

See RUNVS, there you go again, bringing the thread back to future Richmond players, King, Rowell. 😂😂

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

GC should have a dynamite U26 squad, they haven't won a final since their inception. Any club that hasn't won a final in a decade or more should have a great bunch of kids by design, if not it's a complete list management failure.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
GC should have a dynamite U26 squad, they haven't won a final since their inception. Any club that hasn't won a final in a decade or more should have a great bunch of kids.

True but it only feels like the last 3 or 4 years where they have started nailing the draft. Lukosius, Rankine and King all in the one draft seemed to be the turning point.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Forgot Rankine as well who looks like he is going to be a classy player.

Gold Coast do have a very obvious list of future stars from their high end picks.

Touk Miller is still 24 and I have always really liked the look of him. Bleeds for the club too and will do any job he is asked to do.

Budarick is 19, was fantastic for a first year player and he look s a real find.

Bowes is 22 and looks a very nice player to me. He was a top 10 pick of course.

Markov is 24 and should be a good recruit for them, I liked what he did with the Tigers in 2020.

Weller is another at 24 who is a quite accomplished player.

Sharp and Flanders I was a little disappointed with during their first year but I expect he will improve nicely.

Ballard stood up well for most of the season and is a 21 yo key back. Not sure he is ever going to be the actual main KPD for them but would do very nicely as a second or third tall back if he carries on his current trajectory.

Powell at 21 is also a very nice player.

So beyond the obvious stars they have 8-9 young guys who are are tracking really nicely and a few others like Fiorini, Brodie, Graham who could step up yet.

At this stage I am with you on Gold Coast, would expect they could be giving a few sides big headaches from around 2023 onwards.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Gold Coast do have a very obvious list of future stars from their high end picks.

Touk Miller is still 24 and I have always really liked the look of him. Bleeds for the club too and will do any job he is asked to do.

Budarick is 19, was fantastic for a first year player and he look s a real find.

Bowes is 22 and looks a very nice player to me. He was a top 10 pick of course.

Markov is 24 and should be a good recruit for them, I liked what he did with the Tigers in 2020.

Weller is another at 24 who is a quite accomplished player.

Sharp and Flanders I was a little disappointed with during their first year but I expect he will improve nicely.

Ballard stood up well for most of the season and is a 21 yo key back. Not sure he is ever going to be the actual main KPD for them but would do very nicely as a second or third tall back if he carries on his current trajectory.

Powell at 21 is also a very nice player.

So beyond the obvious stars they have 8-9 young guys who are are tracking really nicely and a few others like Fiorini, Brodie, Graham who could step up yet.

At this stage I am with you on Gold Coast, would expect they could be giving a few sides big headaches from around 2023 onwards.

Yes I agree they are still a year or two away before we start seeing the best out of guys like Rankine, Lukosius and King, especially since two of them are key position players. We won't see the best out of Rowell or Anderson for a few years either, especially Anderson who seemed to grow into himself a bit as the season went on. Seems like the sort of player who needs a bit more time than Rowell to find his feet at an AFL level, but he still did plenty to show he is capable of being a strong player.

I also agree that outside of the obvious 6 or 7 super talented young players for Gold Coast they do have wuite a few younger players who may not be stars but look like they will become very solid players.

If Gold Coast can keep these players they will be in the top 8 in 2023 and they will be contending for flags by 2025.

B: C Mayne - J Roughead - I Quaynor
HB: J Crisp - W Kelly - J Noble
C: S Sidebottom - T Adams - J Daicos
HF: C Brown - J De Goey - T Brown
F: J Thomas - D Cameron - J Elliott
R: B Grundy - S Pendlebury - L Greenwood

Had to go to 27 and under to field a full 18, hope you don’t mind OP

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I also agree that outside of the obvious 6 or 7 super talented young players for Gold Coast they do have wuite a few younger players who may not be stars but look like they will become very solid players.

This is the big one for me, in the past they’ve have some really elite talent but not enough meat and potato types willing to play a team game and be a role player.

Seems they’ve now gone and got a number of solid citizen types that can support the top end guys like Rowell, Rankine and King.

I think they’ll be a very solid team by 2022, and then it’s how good can those top end guys be as to whether they’re going deep in to finals from there.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Does this not point fairly obviously to Rioli and Castagna providing something in their roles that is not apparent to commentators, TV viewers, and the general run of footy followers? Or have the Richmond selectors and list management team consistently got this wrong in your opinion?”

Edit:
Sam Lloyd yet another non-key forward with more goal involvements on average than Rioli and Castagna. We need to lobby Richmond to retrospectively remove those triple premierships from Rioli and Castagna and distribute them across these far more deserving players. 😂😂
There is absolutely no point in continuing to debate this with you.

In your view, Richmond got it right, because Premierships.

In everyone else's view, Richmond got it wrong, because both subjective and objective data from 2020.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the big one for me, in the past they’ve have some really elite talent but not enough meat and potato types willing to play a team game and be a role player.

Seems they’ve now gone and got a number of solid citizen types that can support the top end guys like Rowell, Rankine and King.

I think they’ll be a very solid team by 2022, and then it’s how good can those top end guys be as to whether they’re going deep in to finals from there.
Fully agree. Gold Coast not only maintain their current list but continue to improve on it, I see them contending for premierships from as early as 2022.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
There is absolutely no point in continuing to debate this with you.

In your view, Richmond got it right, because Premierships.

In everyone else's view, Richmond got it wrong, because both subjective and objective data from 2020.

That is a rather feeble way of avoiding a pertinent question isn’t it? I thought you had a bit more to you than that Fadge. 😫

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Why are you so obsessed with Essendon? It's quite amusing that all you do is sit here and wait for another Essendon poster to jump on and rag on them. Why don't you post North's under 26 side? Is it because Essendon's "pathetic" defence would keep them to about 5 goals and you're embarrassed by that?

I mean, we can't all offer superstars like Aiden Corr a 5 year deal.

He’s still touchy that more fans cheered Essendons “win” when 90% of our list was suspended than North’s fans cheering the win.

Bemusing that Boristown has not posted a north Melbourne U26 team. Almost like he’s embarrassed so just goes after BugFooty’s easiest target. Essendon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back