PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Firm is good. How is the softweave fabric though? Durable?
Yeah hasn't split or shown any signs of wear. Had it for about a year, looks the same as the day it came. I dont eat or drink in it so I don't know what its like for spills etc but it gets at least 3 hours a day use

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see what is wrong with that video besides the fact that it is longer than it needs to be (as is standard for GN)

It says don't buy a gaming chair because they are trash without offering an alternative. I clicked on it hoping to get some alternative ideas to the $850 Secret Labs chair I want, instead got subjective blind tests and disingenuous statements like "racing style chairs push your shoulders forward" which is only true if you're too big for the chair. Just a clickbait title. Seems like others felt the same way because now they're going to grab more chairs to review. Appears to me like it was a beat down on something GaMiNg for clicks. I like GN and these channels for their objective coverage, but getting a bit tired of their subjective opinion pieces when it's thrown around like it's supposed to be gospel.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
It says don't buy a gaming chair because they are trash without offering an alternative. I clicked on it hoping to get some alternative ideas to the $850 Secret Labs chair I want, instead got subjective blind tests and disingenuous statements like "racing style chairs push your shoulders forward" which is only true if you're too big for the chair. Just a clickbait title. Seems like others felt the same way because now they're going to grab more chairs to review. Appears to me like it was a beat down on something GaMiNg for clicks. I like GN and these channels for their objective coverage, but getting a bit tired of their subjective opinion pieces when it's thrown around like it's supposed to be gospel.

Get a Herman Miller Aeron, best chair in the world! Pricey though. I used one at work for years and I'm a bigger dude too, at 6'3.

I use the Pewdiepie chair at home and that's nice and big too, pretty firm and definitely comfortable.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Get a Herman Miller Aeron, best chair in the world! Pricey though. I used one at work for years and I'm a bigger dude too, at 6'3.

I use the Pewdiepie chair at home and that's nice and big too, pretty firm and definitely comfortable.

They're like over $1500 though aren't they? Unless I looked at the wrong one when I was last looking at office chairs. They seem to be the most universally recommended but they stand out at that price. Sub $1000 there just aren't many options. I looked up my receipt for the DX Racer I have and it was only $469. That's when I was tired of spending ~$200 every year or two on an office chair that would just wear out, then the ~$500 range just don't seem to cater for bigger dudes. I think the only thing I can agree on with GN and their Twitter gang is that the whole racing style chair thing looks like it's for 12 year olds. Definitely happy for some options, but so far the Titan XL is the only thing that's ticking all the boxes minus the arm rests and not even the alternatives GN suggested had anything better.

Too bad I can't drag my Lazboy to my desk as that's hands down the most comfy thing I own.

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
They're like over $1500 though aren't they? Unless I looked at the wrong one when I was last looking at office chairs. They seem to be the most universally recommended but they stand out at that price. Sub $1000 there just aren't many options. I looked up my receipt for the DX Racer I have and it was only $469. That's when I was tired of spending ~$200 every year or two on an office chair that would just wear out, then the ~$500 range just don't seem to cater for bigger dudes. I think the only thing I can agree on with GN and their Twitter gang is that the whole racing style chair thing looks like it's for 12 year olds. Definitely happy for some options, but so far the Titan XL is the only thing that's ticking all the boxes minus the arm rests and not even the alternatives GN suggested had anything better.

Too bad I can't drag my Lazboy to my desk as that's hands down the most comfy thing I own.

Clutch gaming chairs are good. You don't have to get a Pewdiepie and they have a large size.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
It says don't buy a gaming chair because they are trash without offering an alternative.
Pre-pandemic the best answer was a high equality, used ergonomic office chair, but thanks to WFH that market has either dried up (as there are less offices using chairs) or the prices have gone up. Quality office chairs also tend to have weight ratings that appear to go higher. You used to be able to easily get Herman Miller Mirra task chairs for ~$150 that would be better than a $300-$500 gaming chair.

Re: your comment about having to buy a new office chair every 2 years, I'd suggest you've been buying the wrong chairs. There are $200-$250 office chairs with 5 and even 7 year warranties that are easily found.

That said, if you are looking for lots of cushioning (as evidenced by your Lazboy comment), then you are probably best sticking with a gaming chair in my experience, as proper office chairs tend to be firmer

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Pre-pandemic the best answer was a high equality, used ergonomic office chair, but thanks to WFH that market has either dried up (as there are less offices using chairs) or the prices have gone up. Quality office chairs also tend to have weight ratings that appear to go higher. You used to be able to easily get Herman Miller Mirra task chairs for ~$150 that would be better than a $300-$500 gaming chair.

Re: your comment about having to buy a new office chair every 2 years, I'd suggest you've been buying the wrong chairs. There are $200-$250 office chairs with 5 and even 7 year warranties that are easily found.

That said, if you are looking for lots of cushioning (as evidenced by your Lazboy comment), then you are probably best sticking with a gaming chair in my experience, as proper office chairs tend to be firmer

Where from though? The ones that wore out too quickly were probably as you would expect were from places like Officeworks. Most of the chairs from those sorts of places have the cushion just on top of a wooden or plastic base, so of course as it wears and the softness goes it gets really hard. Where the "gaming" chairs like I have now use a series of slings under the cushion so it never wears out. I tried a couple office shops including the place that kitted out our work office, and while I liked a few of them they seemed like they were made for short people, had a weight limit of 100-110kg, or were leather (missus is vegan, so no leather in our house). A lot of the office chairs I see recommended are mesh so don't have that issue of wearing out but they also have weight limits that I'm at the upper end of. As much as I still train I'm not kidding myself. Mid 30s now and compounded injuries, I don't think I'm ever getting back to my ~95-100kg when I was playing footy and going into the RAAF lol. I don't mind firm as long as it's not like sitting on a rock and supports good posture, but of course there is still a comfort factor.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Where from though? The ones that wore out too quickly were probably as you would expect were from places like Officeworks. Most of the chairs from those sorts of places have the cushion just on top of a wooden or plastic base, so of course as it wears and the softness goes it gets really hard. Where the "gaming" chairs like I have now use a series of slings under the cushion so it never wears out. I tried a couple office shops including the place that kitted out our work office, and while I liked a few of them they seemed like they were made for short people, had a weight limit of 100-110kg, or were leather (missus is vegan, so no leather in our house). A lot of the office chairs I see recommended are mesh so don't have that issue of wearing out but they also have weight limits that I'm at the upper end of. As much as I still train I'm not kidding myself. Mid 30s now and compounded injuries, I don't think I'm ever getting back to my ~95-100kg when I was playing footy and going into the RAAF lol. I don't mind firm as long as it's not like sitting on a rock and supports good posture, but of course there is still a comfort factor.
Check out heavy duty task chairs at proper office stores and ergonomic stores. The Buro Metros seem to get mentioned around the place as being pretty good, same with the Ergohumans. I grabbed one of these big bastards because my back is a little f**ked and it's slim picking around here if you want to actually test something and not pay a fortune, but I can happily sit in it for hours with no real issues.

Something about the SecretLabs chairs is just a little offputting to me, I'm not sure if it's because you need to give it a positive review on social media to get your proper warranty, or just that I don't want to risk throwing $700 at something I can't test that people seem to have such a divided opinion about.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Check out heavy duty task chairs at proper office stores and ergonomic stores. The Buro Metros seem to get mentioned around the place as being pretty good, same with the Ergohumans. I grabbed one of these big bastards because my back is a little f**ked and it's slim picking around here if you want to actually test something and not pay a fortune, but I can happily sit in it for hours with no real issues.

Something about the SecretLabs chairs is just a little offputting to me, I'm not sure if it's because you need to give it a positive review on social media to get your proper warranty, or just that I don't want to risk throwing $700 at something I can't test that people seem to have such a divided opinion about.

I like that Nicholas one. I'll try and find some more info on it as the spec sheet doesn't really say much. Ones like that ErgoHumans one I'm sure is fantastic but it looks pretty space age lol.

I had no idea about that Secret Labs thing requiring a positive review for the warranty. Is that actually for real? LOL. That's like coercion or extortion.

I managed to buy a second-hand Steelcase Leap chair for $300 in the middle of this year

It probably came up the second most times behind the Herman Miller Mirra chairs

There's no way I'll go back to Officeworks chairs where the leather starts to crumble away after a year or two.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I just ended up getting a PLE battlebull chair, picked it up for $100 second hand. Does the job, much better than the old thing I was using.

That being said I wouldn’t say I’m spending hours upon hours sitting in it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like that Nicholas one. I'll try and find some more info on it as the spec sheet doesn't really say much. Ones like that ErgoHumans one I'm sure is fantastic but it looks pretty space age lol.

I had no idea about that Secret Labs thing requiring a positive review for the warranty. Is that actually for real? LOL. That's like coercion or extortion.

This is the actual manufacturer's site for the Nicholas, it's a f**king heavy chair but seemed better than a lot of the others I tried. I'm about 6'2" and 90kg and it's a decent fit for me.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Strange and disingenuous video. Trash "gaming chairs", say don't buy them but don't really offer a decent alternative despite showing off some office chairs. I've had some comfy office chairs in the past but I was constantly replacing them every 12-18 months. I'm 6'4 and lately around the 110kg mark (I blame covid) and there aren't really a lot of office chair options that cater for even height, let alone weight. I bought a DX Racer King Series in 2015 and I've still got it. No rips or tears what so ever on the chair itself, no sagging elastic, only the lumbar cushion has any wear. Things like "pushing shoulders forward" is what what happens when the chair is clearly too small. Even if I push my shoulders right back then they still don't even touch the side wing things. Only thing I agree with are the arm rests but I'm yet to find a suitable office or "gaming" chair that offers anything better. Only reason I've got my eye on the Secret Lab Titan XL is because besides just wanting something new I wouldn't mind a fabric chair over the PU leather. The price is a bit eye watering though.

my dad has some random no-name racer chair from like 2011 and it's still comfortable as * lol... but this was made before they started going way over the top with them

i went through many chairs - mesh back "ergonomic" ~$450 mark, executive style fake leather chair, multiple standard office chairs. i couldn't stand the mesh back chair, it literally hurt my back. the executive one was comfortable but the fake leather is horrible in the aussie summer and tore apart after a year or two, and when the bottom wore down it became really uncomfortable (which only took a year or two as well). The standard office chairs with a decent cushion on the bottom were pretty good, not the most comfy but not bad. i bit the bullet about a year ago got a secret lab fabric chair as family was pitching in for a present - it's been better than all those and it feels high quality. the chair doesn't really pull you in or push your shoulders forward, it's actually pretty flat where your body is (i have the standard titan, I'm about 6 foot and 89kg). I wouldn't buy one of those gamer chairs that has bulging cushions sticking out of everywhere, but my shoulders aren't even touching anything in this chair. also yes the fabric is way better than the fake leather chair i used to have...never again... secret lab has some real leather chair as well as fake leather but again it's even more expensive and i don't know how much better it'd be. it still looks brand new and all I really do it dust it off every now and then

i've tried some of the super fancy chairs in-store, but the mesh ones always give me flashbacks to the old mesh chair I had so I don't like those ones lol. the HM Embody was bloody comfortable but it cost even more than the aeron, which already cost like 3x the secret lab which is overpriced already... so yeah. no go with the budget i had at the time. if i ever win lotto i'll buy an Embody that day

and FYI with the warranty thing - you get 3 years standard warranty, and you get an extra 2 years if you post a pic of your chair in your setup with the hashtag secretlab. you don't have to review it or anything, just post the pic with the hashtag to a public social media page like reddit/twitter etc. i assume if you said something bad they might get annoyed? idk

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Tubes up on the radiator or the block? Because you can go tubes up on the rad. These Corsair and NZXT AIOs are made by Asetek and should be around 98% full, so once the small amount of air makes it's way to the highest point then you shouldn't hear any bubbling or have any other issues regardless of rad direction. As long as the block isn't the heighest point of the loop and its hoses aren't facing up. As good as GN's video was about optimal AIO orientation it was also the worst because now everyone is an expert lol.
So many people missed the point that the underlying problem you should try to avoid is air sitting within the CPU block - if you can do that it doesn't ******* matter which direction the tubes are facing.

GN is very good at getting a lot of data, but not so good at communicating it simply and clearly
I wonder how many tweets/social media posts Jay had to see before he made this 😂

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder how many tweets/social media posts Jay had to see before he made this 😂

6:10-6:12 is the part most didn't get. Pumps make up about 25% of my total IRL work and Jay just demonstrated in 2 seconds better than I could in dumb electrician words a point I had tried to make a number of times to some people.

6:10-6:12 is the part most didn't get. Pumps make up about 25% of my total IRL work and Jay just demonstrated in 2 seconds better than I could in dumb electrician words a point I had tried to make a number of times to some people.

Just take a coke bottle and show them that when you flip the bottle upside down, the air stays at the top.

make sure that the lid is on though.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just take a coke bottle and show them that when you flip the bottle upside down, the air stays at the top.

make sure that the lid is on though.

images - 2020-12-31T185358.781.jpeg

Back