Is Damien Hardwick the greatest coach of all time?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The question that should occupy you is:

What does it say about you that you would interpret what's going on here as 'search for validation by Tiger fans'?
It’s very weird this expectation that we’re looking for validation. Personally IDGAF what the others think. Most clubs out there barely have a premiership player for that team on their list and the BF posters think I need validation from them? Get real. There’s 100,000 Tiger members and heap more Richmond fans I can get it from, most of the media is on-board and TBH most neutral fans recognise what the Tigers have done in the past four years.

Frank Checker Hughes is the greatest of all time. Most underrated name in our sport.

Took over non finalist Richmond side in 1927 and took them to 3 grand finals in his first 3 years (losing them all). Got to a 4th grand final in his 5th season losing that as well but finally won the premiership in his 6th season. 6 seasons, 5 Grand Finals and a premiership.

He left Richmond after that premiership and took over a dismal 4 win 14 loss Melbourne side and built that team up over a few years. In 1939 that team rose to the top and some at the time predicted Melbourne to win the next 5-6 flags including Jack Dyer. WW2 broke out just before the 1939 finals, Melbourne went on to 3 peat 1939-41 before players then went to fight the war. Hughes stepped down as coach after 1941 flag.

Melbourne had some average non finalist years 1942-44 but Hughes took over Melbourne again in 1945. Melbourne lost more players than any other club during the war but Frank got Melbourne back to a grand final in 1946 and a premiership in 1948 before stepping down again.

coaching legend across you could say 3 different eras at 2 clubs, Taught one of his players Norm Smith a thing or 2 about coaching as well.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Frank Checker Hughes is the greatest of all time. Most underrated name in our sport.

Took over non finalist Richmond side in 1927 and took them to 3 grand finals in his first 3 years (losing them all). Got to a 4th grand final in his 5th season losing that as well but finally won the premiership in his 6th season. 6 seasons, 5 Grand Finals and a premiership.

He left Richmond after that premiership and took over a dismal 4 win 14 loss Melbourne side and built that team up over a few years. In 1939 that team rose to the top and some at the time predicted Melbourne to win the next 5-6 flags including Jack Dyer. WW2 broke out just before the 1939 finals, Melbourne went on to 3 peat 1939-41 before players then went to fight the war. Hughes stepped down as coach after 1941 flag.

Melbourne had some average non finalist years 1942-44 but Hughes took over Melbourne again in 1945. Melbourne lost more players than any other club during the war but Frank got Melbourne back to a grand final in 1946 and a premiership in 1948 before stepping down again.

coaching legend across you could say 3 different eras at 2 clubs, Taught one of his players Norm Smith a thing or 2 about coaching as well.
Solid post. 👍

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Shame no Essendon fan under 18 can remember winning a final though.

All swings and round abouts.
You’d have to be in your 50’s to remember Richmonds last premiership before this recent group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Not at this point, although you feel this Richmond dynasty is far from over so maybe we should revisit in 3 years time.

On the other hand, Dimma coaching such an ordinary group to such a high level is an achievement in itself.

Most would agree that if the most recent dynasty’s of the last 20 years, Richmonds is last in there rankings

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Surprisingly little mention of Malthouse here

Winning at multiple clubs a huge tick.

Coached Footscray for 6 years in the 80s. A minnow club in the era of brown paper bags. His final season in 89 their only losing year.

Eagles absolute powerhouse in 90's. Finals 10 years in a row. 2 flags from 3 grand finals. The one they lost (91) was after travelling to Waverley 3 wks in a row, after winning the minor premiership and 3 games clear on top.

Went to a basket case Collingwood. 4 grand finals in 12 years (5 if you include the replay), and the only true superstars he had were Buckley and Swan (exclude Pendlebury as he was 23 when Malthouse forced out).

Carlton struggled but don't hold that against him, all the great coaches had periods of struggle, Matthews, Blight, Clarkson right now etc.

If Eddie hadn't pushed Malthouse for Buckley with 2 years of coaching experience, they could've won another flag.

Rating coaches is difficult but few can boast a record like Malthouse over a long period at multiple clubs.

Let's see what Hardwick's doing in 10 years.
What excludes Malthouse imo is his low strikerate for flags and long period of head coach without a premiership.

3 flags from something like 30 seasons doesn't stack up with others. He also went an incredibly long period of head coach without a flag, something like 15 years.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
On the other hand, Dimma coaching such an ordinary group to such a high level is an achievement in itself.

Most would agree that if the most recent dynasty’s of the last 20 years, Richmonds is last in there rankings

They have less individual talent than the Brisbane, Hawthorn and Geelong teams, no question about that.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
One might argue that overall performance is largely a function of on field personnel and coaching.
On paper the current Richmond list pales in comparison to the star studded teams that have tasted multiple successes in recent times, so on that basis Dimma has to get some major credit. Another premiership would solidify those claims.
His game style however has arguably taken advantage of the claustrophobic, stultifying modern game setups which reduce the impact of talent and skill and turn the game into a contest where inducing and capitalising on opposition errors is the main focus. Effective, but hardly something to be overly proud of when history makes its judgement.
(A big fat guy called Balme might have a bit to do with it too...I believe he was around at the cats as well:think:)

Stealth69

Debutant
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
One might argue that overall performance is largely a function of on field personnel and coaching.
On paper the current Richmond list pales in comparison to the star studded teams that have tasted multiple successes in recent times, so on that basis Dimma has to get some major credit. Another premiership would solidify those claims.
His game style however has arguably taken advantage of the claustrophobic, stultifying modern game setups which reduce the impact of talent and skill and turn the game into a contest where inducing and capitalising on opposition errors is the main focus. Effective, but hardly something to be overly proud of when history makes its judgement.
(A big fat guy called Balme might have a bit to do with it too...I believe he was around at the cats as well:think:)

You have no idea

Pressure, closing down teams to force a turnover is one aspect of the Tigers game plan, most teams try to do it, we do it best!

You still need skillful players and team understanding to move the ball forward with speed and accuracy, we have that

Hardwick and this team/club has engineered an alternative style that others have had to twig their sides to compete against

Give credit where credit is due, all this bullshit about past teams being elite and this RFC team a smidgeon of those sides is plain and simple sour grapes. 3 out of 4 Premierships and that failed year finishing 2 games clear shows how great this team is...

Bring on 2021

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
A recovering Cat.
H2 GF 2020 10 of last 12 goals to RFC. In still damp slippery conditions with forward line not very functuonal. That's coaching. I didn't mention Cats complete folding under pressure like PUSSIES due to my kind nature.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
And every other thread?

Not the agenda, but Richmond fans seem to want to turn all threads into the agenda.
Maybe thats just the perception alot of people have. An uncomfortable bias towards and against our success.

God forbid a Richmond fan and others talk about Richmond (the best team in the comp at the moment) in open afl threads!

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Yes! Yes he is..

..cos Richmond.

(never mind the fact the Richmond Board wanted him fired-ignore all that)

Well, I guess we're all just one Dusty away from GOAT

FMD - the guy has 2 plans.
1. Play Martin in the midfield.
2. Play Martin forward.

Does anyone honestly think he's a genius? Christ almighty, his own club wanted his ass on a plate.

Coming up next:
"Was Woosha the best and greatest coach of all time?"

Faced with the challenge of playing Judd and Cousins in the same midfield, the genius coach decided he'd play both of them in there at the same time.

It was a masterstroke that puts him above all else.

A true lengend we can only hope will someday be matched by, and dare I say it, a Richmond coach.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes! Yes he is..

..cos Richmond.

(never mind the fact the Richmond Board wanted fired-ignore all that)

Well, I guess we're all just one Dusty away from GOAT

FMD - the guy has 2 plans.
1. Play Martin in the midfield.
2. Play Martin forward.

Does anyone hoestly think he's a genius?
Never mind the tightest team defence in the league, best collective pressure game, best proven systems etc etc etc. All from apparenty 21 blokes (plus dusty) whos average winning margin in grand finals is around 9 goals.

I particularly enjoyed your post and hope the coaches of the 17 other clubs believe your theory too.

Yeah its just Dusty! You fool 🤣

Back