The season that was and the season that will be...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021 is days away so time to reflect and predict:

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: Season 2020. At one stage it looked like there would be no season. When the revamped season was launched I thought it would prove to be too congested and could be called off at any stage. To the AFL's credit it ended up being an enjoyable distraction.
2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020: Finally making it to the big dance
3. AFL lowlight of 2020: No crowds, at least not in Victoria
4. GFC lowlight of 2020: Dangerfield's GF
5. AFL prediction for 2021: Nathan Buckley will be sacked mid-way through season and Brenton Sanderson appointed caretaker coach
6. GFC prediction for 2021: Esava Ratugolea will become our No.1 ruckman and dominate

Over to you, and to make it easier just copy and paste the questions below:

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020:
2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020:
3. AFL lowlight of 2020:
4. GFC lowlight of 2020:
5. AFL prediction for 2021:
6. GFC prediction for 2021:

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: Winning a prelim and winning it well
2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020: See point 1
3. AFL lowlight of 2020:
Covid obviously
4. GFC lowlight of 2020:
Abletts family issues preventing him being a bigger part and then his injury early in the GF meaning it wasn't the fairytale ending.
Richmond to be a force again, Brisbane to be better again
Lose a prelim with Cameron kicking 5.

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: Actually having a competition, it didn't seem like it was going to happen at some points even throughout the season.

2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020: Turning up in the finals. Not 1 good game surrounded by 2 poor showings. All but the first game where we played well but were beaten we turned up and executed.
3. AFL lowlight of 2020: Playing games in front on little to no fans, off field issues with some players.
4. GFC lowlight of 2020: Losing Grand Final.
5. AFL prediction for 2021: Huge scandal surround 1 club that'll involved coaches or admin.
6. GFC prediction for 2021: Premiership. 130 goals between Hawkins, Cameron and Dangerfield to lead the most potent forward line of the last 25 years.

1. AFL highlight: That we got to complete a season, albeit it a shortened one.
2. Geelong highlight: The 2nd and 3rd week of the finals, and the first half of the grand final.
3. AFL lowlight: The quarantine breaches.
4. GFC lowlight: 2nd half of the grand final. Also Gaz getting injured in the first few minutes. Although he played on, it was a shame we didn't see him in full flight one last time.
5. AFL prediction for 2021: The AFL tribunal/MRP finally come to their senses and suspend Tom Lynch, but only after his 3rd infringement in the first half of the year.
6. GFC prediction for 2021: Hawkins kicks 50 goals and also has 50 goal assists as the Hawkins-Cameron duo works an absolute treat.

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: the season going ahead- more important than most of us care to acknowledge, for livelihoods of players, some sense of normality for all.
Great season, great finals performance despite more predictions of demise (including by moi)
3. AFL lowlight of 2020: Covid and no games/crowds in Vic - of any code at any level
4. GFC lowlight of 2020:
After such a fantastic finals series, complete fade out in the last 40 minutes of footy, albeit against probably greatest modern era contested pressure team.
Stevens year and exit - would have been great to see some of Jack’s talent at the Cats.
5. AFL prediction for 2021: more Covid disruptions and adjustments, more tinkering with the rules, and (I’m afraid) more Tigers success.

some initial difficulties with settling Smith, Cameron and Higgins into the side and game plan. Likely injury to one or two of these. Surprise packets- Fort assumes first ruck after Stanley injury and does well. Finals, after slow start to the season. Loss in prelim.

Last edited:
1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: The festival of football - a match or two every night for three weeks was strangely comforting in a season that could have gone the way of AFLX

2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020: The resiliency of the club. When covid happened and the lights went out, things were looking pretty grim. Forecasts of massive financial losses, the final stage of the ground redevelopment the club losing badly to to GWS, but at the end of the season the club just kept surging ahead

3. AFL lowlight of 2020: Women's competition being abandoned

4. GFC lowlight of 2020: Losing the grand final (not that other clubs would mind that inconveneience)

5. AFL prediction for 2021: Various crisis including concussion, gender politics and the role of footballers being role models brought into question following some less than exemplary behaviour leading to an existential crisis at the top level administration and Gillon walking away to spend more tie with his family and farming garlic

6. GFC prediction for 2021: ho hum, just more of the same - greatness.

1. Highlight: Was the game against Brissy at the SCG for me. We really turned it on for a couple of qrs and was the best footy I'd seen played by anyone all year.
2. Prediction: If Richmond get their injurys at the end of the year instead of the middle I think we'll win.
As long as 2019 Jeremy Cameron is back not the 2020 version, and Guthrie and Menegola can back up 2020 to a reasonable degree.

• Watching the bare naked greed of players, clubs, and administrators get laid bare when the impact of Covid hit.
  • Andrew Maher trying to complete a sentence without pathetically sucking up to the AFL by saying what an amazing job they did (really guys, it's a fixture, a high school student with Excel could do the same thing).
  • Making the Grand final against all expectations
  • The improvements in Guthrie and Menegola
3. AFL lowlight of 2020:
  • The constant appalling standard of commentary no matter what network is always a strong contender.
  • 16 minute quarters. No football fan with a brain has ever said "You know what we need, less footy". Unfortunately there are plenty of morons without brains now.
  • A 17 round home and away season. Not quite as terrible as 16 minute quarters but still pretty bad.
  • The continued hysteria when footballers engage in the most miniscule of physical activity on the field (for 2020, see Tom Lynch, at least Hawkins' non-elbow was rightfully thrown out).
4. GFC lowlight of 2020:
  • Although it was inevitable, and he was clearly done by the end, Gary Ablett retiring. There's been a Gary Ablett playing football for something like 33 of the last 37 seasons, so it's going to be strange without him around. Right time though and at least he got a great sendoff.
  • To no surprise whatsoever, the recruitment of Jack Steven.
  • Dangerfield's form and continued non-appearances when it matters. The cult of personality that is alive and strong around him.
  • More insane rule changes that will be gleefully endorsed by most people too stupid to think for themselves.
  • Probably more of a gradual slide. Unless we get injuries to key players then it could be much worse. Somewhere around 3rd-8th.

The fact we had a season was fantastic and gave me something to look forward to during a very tough time. The flexibility and sacrifice of the afl, players, staff and families qas huge

The form of Guthrie & Menegola, may it continue!

3. AFL lowlight of 2020:

The players that breached Covid rules, so selfish

4. GFC lowlight of 2020:

Seeing it all unravel in the 2nd half and Gaz being injured in the GF

Gold Coast to finish 5th/6th and win a final

Clark to have a breakout season on the back flank

• Watching the bare naked greed of players, clubs, and administrators get laid bare when the impact of Covid hit.
  • Andrew Maher trying to complete a sentence without pathetically sucking up to the AFL by saying what an amazing job they did (really guys, it's a fixture, a high school student with Excel could do the same thing).
  • Making the Grand final against all expectations
  • The improvements in Guthrie and Menegola
3. AFL lowlight of 2020:
  • The constant appalling standard of commentary no matter what network is always a strong contender.
  • 16 minute quarters. No football fan with a brain has ever said "You know what we need, less footy". Unfortunately there are plenty of morons without brains now.
  • A 17 round home and away season. Not quite as terrible as 16 minute quarters but still pretty bad.
  • The continued hysteria when footballers engage in the most miniscule of physical activity on the field (for 2020, see Tom Lynch, at least Hawkins' non-elbow was rightfully thrown out).
4. GFC lowlight of 2020:
  • Although it was inevitable, and he was clearly done by the end, Gary Ablett retiring. There's been a Gary Ablett playing football for something like 33 of the last 37 seasons, so it's going to be strange without him around. Right time though and at least he got a great sendoff.
  • To no surprise whatsoever, the recruitment of Jack Steven.
  • Dangerfield's form and continued non-appearances when it matters. The cult of personality that is alive and strong around him.
  • More insane rule changes that will be gleefully endorsed by most people too stupid to think for themselves.
  • Probably more of a gradual slide. Unless we get injuries to key players then it could be much worse. Somewhere around 3rd-8th.
I'm so with you on No.1. Fantastic.

1. AFL Highlight
Football on TV every night for a couple of weeks
2. GFC Highlight(s)
Guthrie AA/Carjii Medalist;
Hawk Colman Medalist;
Gaz 350/Joel 300 Match with comprehensive win
First Half demolition of Collingwood in EF
Chris Scott's suntan and beard
3. AFL Lowlight
Continuous fines/no case to answer for Tom Lynch
4. GFC Lowlight
GF second half
No one there to watch Gaz 350/Joel 300 Match!
5. AFL Prediction
Bulldogs to tear Richmond apart
6. GFC Prediction
Geelong to blitz the first half of the season, then age to catch up with the >30's.
Chris Scott to retain the beard and buy a sun lamp.

As others have said - enjoyed the constant games of football each night - its interesting that - prior to the year just gone i wasnt watching many neutral games - but i did in 2020 - and i enjoyed doing that .

Cats did well to make the GF - so that gets a tick - ( knocks on the head for good - all the rubbish that they only win games because of KP advantage etc )

2021 - i cant see much changing - unless Rich got decimated by injuries - but all being fair - they are the road block - that some team has to get around .

1. My AFL Competition highlight of 2020: was there one? I was unaware
2. Geelong FC highlight of 2020: spanking the pies in the semis. only thing that would have made that better is change the stripes from black and white to brown and yellow.
3. AFL lowlight of 2020: covid and no crowds. Just a general, weird af, shithouse shortened season.
4. GFC lowlight of 2020: Ablett doing his shoulder. There are no football gods, clearly.
5. AFL prediction for 2021: Who the hell knows. Aliens could come down and abduct 2 teams playing and i wouldnt bat an eyelid tbh.
6. GFC prediction for 2021: We're on the way down a bit i think. Our biggest shot was 2 years ago, not even this one. And ya know what... Im a Geelong supporter from the 1990s. You can take the girl out of pessimism, but ya cant take the pessimism out of the girl...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. AFL prediction for 2021: Who the hell knows. Aliens could come down and abduct 2 teams playing and i wouldnt bat an eyelid tbh.

If the two teams were made up of a combination of Richmond, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Collingwood, aliens could come down and no-one would be able to tell the difference between the aliens and the actual supporter bases. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back